1. Tagging 101
Northern Voice InternetBootCamp
Vancouver, BC • February 22, 2008
2. About Me
← My book... available now!
(But I’ll give one away!)
Book site: http://genesmith.ca
3. What is tagging?
• Simple and quick way to add metadata [*]
to stuff you’re interested in, like photos,
videos, blog posts and bookmarks.
* keywords that help you search and find things again.
4. Maybe a demo will help...
• Let’s look at Delicious
• Social bookmarks manager
• One of the first tagging applications
5. Who Uses Tagging?
• Just about every web application that
deals with information management
• Gmail, Flickr, YouTube
• WordPress, MovableType, Blogger
• Operating Systems (Vista, Mac, OLPC)
6. Why We Tag
• Ease of Use
• Personal Information Management
• Collaboration and Sharing
• Self Expression
7. nptech, a tag community
• Created by a group of blogger exploring
linksharing through Del.icio.us
• “I think that the development of this tag is
arguably the single largest reason for the current
(thriving I think) state of what is commonly
called the “nptech community.” - Chris Blow
8. Social Tagging
• Social Hum
• Object-centered sociality
• Lowered barriers to participation
12. Getting Started
• Tag your blog posts, photos, bookmarks
• Use your tags to find people with similar
interests & connect with them
• Seed communities with your tags
• Coordinate tags with others - “nv08”
13. “When the hype wears down... I think
tagging will have altered the information
landscape in a fundamental way”
- Jon Udell
14. Another demo...
Gene Ex perie
ip al, nF
ne .smith .org
ail: ge //atomiq mith
Em p: r.co m/gs ith
Blo g: htt tp://twitte e.net/gsm
Tw itter: p://slidesh
Sli des: h