• 1.Who was Gregory Johnson? Describe
his personal background and motives for
burning the American flag.
• 2.Describe the (flag burning) event itself.
• 3.What is symbolic expression? Describe
and list two examples of symbolic
• 3rd period-
– SOTU reports,
– Current events- Health Care Law details
– Constitutional connections
– HW Assignment- Unit 5, lesson29
– Earlier this week- a.How a member decides to
vote b. current events
How Does the 1st Amendment Protect Free
• 1. List and describe five arguments that favor free speech.
• 2. What ideas about free expression were brought to American from
• 3. The Constitution made no mention of a “free press”. Why?
• 4. List and explain Jefferson’s quote about freedon of speech and
press. How would you interpret the quote?
• 5.What is seditious libel?
• 6. Who was John Peter Zenger? What happened to him? Describe
his trial and the outcome of the trial?
• 7. Why is this trial important?
• 8. List three times when freedom of expression has been
• 9. How may governments limit expression? List the ways and give
an example for each method.
• 10.How have wars and emergencies affected speech and press?
• How did the delegates to the constitutional
convention distribute powers between the
national and state governments?
• Enumerated powers Article I, sec.8
• Implied powers- the Necessary & Proper
• Article VI, sec.2 Supremacy Clause
• 3rd period- SOTU reports completed
• 4th- Laptops today
• On notebook paper
• Create a 1 minute speech that will include your position
on the flag burning amendment.
• Position and at least two reasons (support from the
simulation exercise) to support your position.
• you may suggest another amendment in place of the
the proposed amendment or oppose ANY amendments.
• In favor of/opposed/recommend a new amendment
• Identify an issue
• On Tuesday- present your position in small groups first.
Our Federal & State Court Systems
• State Courts • Federal Courts