1. Battle of Guadalcanal Alphabet Book By: Jake Singer
2. August The war between the Allies and the Japanese Empire broke out August 7, 1942
3. Boat Reliance The American air superiority forced the Japanese to rely on barges, destroyers and submarines. This made it very long and tiredsome trip and harder to defeat the already landed americans. The Americans would just set up shop along the beaches and fire as the came to shore
5. Daniel J. Callaghan Admiral in charge of the naval attacks on the Japanese which showed a clear superior force in these battles.
6. Empire of Japan
7. February The Guadalcanal campaign ends February 9, 1943
8. Guadalcanal Campaign 2nd major offensive of the Pacific Wars. Fought to maintain the goals to capture all Pacific Islands
9. Henderson Field Battle Japanese delived 15,000 men to the island thinking that the Americans only had 10,000. We had 23,000 men. Americans launched unexpected attack. 3,000 Japanese casualties to the 80 American casualties.
10. Importance Japanese Air Force Station Strategic plan of the allies to protect Australia, and protect convoy routes of the United States.
11. Jungles Island was made up of dense tropical forests and swamps Temperatures reached up to 90 degrees Insects carried loads of diseases Very difficult place to fight
12. Ke Evacuation This was the mass evacuation of Soloman Islands by the Japanese Empire that marked an Allies victory in the Soloman Islands
13. Long Battles This battle ended up being one of the most longest battles in the Pacific(7 months). Most of the deaths in this war wasnt released publicly because of the huge numbers. Long because of how long it would take the Japanese to get there.
15. Naval Battle of Guadalcanal Since the Japanese used mostly ships to travel to the islands, the Americans planned a naval attack on them Allies won without a doubt
16. Oceans Island Hopping The allies during this Pacific War would take over one island and then jump to the next closest island. Guadalcanal was in the midst of these activites.
17. Pacific (HBO)HBO Miniseries directed by Steven Spielberg and TomHanksFocused on Marine Corps in the Pacific WarBattle of Guadalcanal was a couple episodes
18. Quit The Japanese just refused to quit when they could have saved thousands of lives when the battle was for sure over
19. Rookies The Americans sent many untrained and young adults to fight in these battles They stood their ground and fought off the very spirited Japanese.
20. Soloman Islands Guadalcanal was one of the many islands considered in the Soloman Islands South Pacific towards Australia. Key Islands Under Japans rule
21. Teamed upAllies-60,000 men ground forcesJapan-36,000 men ground forces
22. Uniting This war marked the uniting of all the American Forces (Marines, Navy) They didnt get along when the shared the Islands They would steal each others supplies because they had very few Steal clothing because theres would get soaked with the swamps they were in
23. Vandegrift Alexander Vandegrift recieved the Medal of Honor for leading the 1st Marine Division in the first offensive of Guadalcanal. First general to hold the rank of four-stage general while fighting activly.
24. World War II Impact Long battle that killed off a lot of Japanese These islands was huge for the Japanese air force and the allies took it over. Japanese suffered a large set back of members of the army
25. XIV Army Corps This division led the way of the final shootings in this Battle.
26. Yamamoto Isoroku Yamamota was Japans best Naval Marshall General that led the Japanese to clear defeat against the Allies in the Naval Battles of Guadalcanal.
27. Zealous The Japanese were zealous, meening they were devoted to their country The Japanese would never give up until they were all dead