[SES 2008] eCommerce 101: Optimizing your Shopping Cart for Search and ConversionPresentation Transcript
Optimizing your Shopping Cart for Search and ConversionEthan Giffin | CEO, Groove Commerce
Get Backto Basics!
• Full service agency with a focus on eCommerce• Located in Baltimore, MD• Builds search and conversion-friendly web sites• Services include: – eCommerce site design/development – Conversion consulting – SEO/SEM – Web site analysis• Basically… We help people sell more stuff online
• Good design is key…• Important for both SEO and conversion• Follow Web standards – Unique page titles – Proper meta tags – Headline text in <h> tags aka your product and category names – Paragraphs in <p> tags – Bold and Italics <strong> and <em> – Lists in <ol> and <ul> tags• Every page is not one size fits all• Don’t forget the mini cart• Always Be Testing…
• Good Internal Site Search is not an option…it’s a requirement!• Displaying relevant results• Google Analytics site search report• Site search conversion rate is 3-5x• Your search results page
• Establishing trust with your visitors: – Why should visitors trust my company? – Why should visitors trust my products? – Why should visitors trust my website?• Where you need to assure your customers
• Guarantee customer satisfaction• Inform them of your shipping policies• Let customers know that their shopping experience will be completely secure• Remind them of how you value their privacy and personal information
• Typically the #1 way to a big increase• Show customers their progress• Eliminate distractions• Reducing shopping cart abandonment• Proper error messages• Attention to detail!
1. Design for Success2. Don’t Neglect Your Site Search3. Build Trust & Confidence4. Have a Bullet Proof Checkout5. Get Back to Basics
Please feel free to come up to me anytime during the conference with questions! Ethan Giffin | CEO, Groove Commerce email@example.com