On October 23rd, 2014, we updated our
By continuing to use LinkedIn’s SlideShare service, you agree to the revised terms, so please take a few minutes to review them.
Seo And Internet Marketing For Under 30Document Transcript
SEO + Internet Marketing
What is SEO?
Making your site easily accessed by the search engines so they can rank you accordingly.
Check out Google Webmaster Central for an insane amount of info
2 Ways to Influence SEO
• Title – 64 characters or less – keyword rich and you do not need your site name
unless the branding is necessary
• Meta Stuff – not as important as the olden days, but still good for the SERP
• Content – most important keywords at the top/beginning
• Sitemap – need a sitemap so google can find all your pages
• Robots.txt -I don’t understand it 100%, just know you need it to tell google
which pages to find and which pages to hide -read more info here
• Internal linking - use anchor text when linking internally and externally, it helps
google know what your site it about
• Img = use the alt tag to describe your images or else google thins you have a big
road block in the middle of your site.
• Not all links are created equally (Google PR, nofollow, etc)
• Link bait – Create content with the sole purpose of getting links (think lists, funny
videos or game changing news)
• Guest posts – Best way to get high value links
• Reciprocal link building – I’ll give you a link, if you give me one (blogrolls)
• Banners – not very popular, but effective
• Social media profiles – See which ones allow “Do Follow Links” and sign up
• Article marketing – Ezine Articles + 1,000’s of other directories
• Press releases – do a Google Search for free press release sites
• .edu and .gov links are priceless
• Anchor text is key – don’t link your name, link your keyword
You can get consumed by all the minute things about SEO, or you can pick amazing
keywords, keep writing and producing awesome stuff, organically build links and make
real connections and the SEO will play its part for you.
Stop thinking “computer” and start thinking “15” Dell Laptop”
SEO Book - http://tools.seobook.com/keyword-tools/seobook/
Google AdWords Keyword Suggest Tool -
Google Insight for Search
Keyword Elite - http://su.pr/18ZdfG
Market Samurai - www.marketsamurai.com/
What I am looking for:
1. I have to know something awesome about the niche that others do not or at least have a
quality that makes me better than everyone else
2. Multiple long tail keyphrases that have at least 500 searches per month
3. Competition of less than 500,000
How to kill it
Multi Media SEO – pics, videos, presentations, text, articles, podcasts, pages, groups, etc
– all pointing back to your sales page, main site, opt in pages, whatever
Research Competition – In order to outrank them, you need to do what they are doing,
but better. More links, more content. Do homework on your competition.
On yahoo.com enter link:competitionsite.com to see all their backlinks
Use http://www.quantcast.com/ to get data on sites
Use the Search Status Toolbar and SEO MozBar to make all of that extra easy
WordPress PlugIns for SEO
All in one SEO Pack
Google XML Sitemaps
Robots Meta – include/exclude pages from crawling
http://mashable.com/2009/03/20/wordpress-seo-plugins/ for a ton more
Firefox Extensions you Need
Search Status - http://www.quirk.biz/searchstatus/
SEO Moz ToolBar - http://www.seomoz.org/mozbar
How to use video to be a niche rock star
• YouTube Suggest
• When posting a video:
o 64 character long tail title
o 140 character keyword rich description – the first thing being
o 4-5 long tail tags
• Hijack popular videos by doing video replies with the above format
Things to look at in Google Analytics
Referring Sites -> are your links bringing you traffic, and what is that traffic doing?
Search Engines -> Drill down into the diff engines and the keywords
Bounce Rate on those keywords
Go to Content Site Overlay to see some cool data on what people are looking at on
your site. You will be surprised.
Now focus on higher converting keywords to crush it and develop new strategies to lock
in the keywords that you are not doing well for.
Ways to Make Money
Advertising – google adsense, banner ads, text link ads, etc
Paid content – Pay-per-post, sponsored tweets, paid reviews
Affiliate Sales – sell someone’s product and make a percentage
Your own stuff – have products and sell them
Ecommerce – from dropshipping, wholesaling, eBay and anything else with the shopping
No matter what or how you decide to monetize you need the following:
Build a list – an email list! Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, bog subscribers can come and
go, but your email list is vital. I use and recommend Aweber, but there are plenty of
others. Make sure they offer.
Aweber - http://su.pr/3iOW5m
Relationships – you need to build a relationship with your market, talk to them and
provide them value
Offer – you need to ask for the sale.
Copy – you need to be able to explain your offer online
Accept payments – PayPal is cool, 1ShoppingCart is better, Infusionsoft is the best
Partners – you can achieve more together. In the IM world, these are called Join Venture
PPC – Pick keywords, build ad, bid on keywords and pay everytime someone clicks on
• Google AdWords
• Yahoo Search Marketing
• MSN AdCenter / Bing
StumbleUpon – pay to have your site stumbled – super easy and targeted. Costs about 5
cents per page view. People can thumbs up/thumbs down and get it into regular stumble
rotation if its liked.
Digg Ads – new system, but essentially pay to have your content on top dig pages, people
can still digg the ad up and down. The more ups, the cheaper the click, the more down,
the more expensive the clicks
CPM Mail Drops or Buying Email Lists – buy or broker someone to send an email out
on your behalf. Expensive and need strong back end sales funnel + high product margins
Banner Ads – eh.
Ad Networks – pick wisely as can be expensive.
More on SEO
SEO Moz Blog - http://www.seomoz.org/blog
Stomping the Search Engines – costs $1, then cancel membership. Best SEO training I
have ever used. https://stompernet.infusionsoft.com/go/S2SL/grollett/ (yes, that’s an
affiliate link, I get 50 cents, but I truly recommend their stuff).
More on PPC
PPC Classroom – costs like $10, then cancel your membership. Get an intro and advance
behind the scenes look at Google AdWords
Perry Marshall – AdWords genius - http://www.perrymarshall.com/