1. VOLKSWAGEN – A H ISTORYRead about the history of Volkswagen to find theanswers to the quiz.
2. 1938 Volkswagen “Beetle” The “peoples’ car”
3. 2012 Volkswagen “Beetle”
4. • Porsche produced the first Volkswagen car • ten months after he received government money. • three years after he received government money. • four years after he received government money.started work on the ‘people’s car’ with money he received from the German governmentin 1934. First of all he travelled to America to learn about car production. Then in 1938he returned to Germany, founded Volkswagen GmbH and started production
5. 2. During the war the companyA. stopped producing cars completely.B. stopped producing cars for sale to the public.C. continued producing cars as before.Commercial production stopped during the war
6. 3. The British did not take over the companybecauseA. they did not think it would survive.B. they did not have enough money.C. Heinrich Nordhoff had already bought it.After the war the British helped the local economyby ordering 20,000 cars but decided not to takeover the company as they did not think it had afuture.
7. 4. Between 1945 and 1950 productionincreasedA. every year by 20,000.B. from 20,000 to 230,000.C. by 20,000 to 230,000.Within five years annual production went from20,000 to 230,000 cars
8. 5. Volkswagen expanded globally by buying other carcompaniesA. and forming partnerships.B. and building its own car plants.C. and also building new car plants and formingpartnerships. continued its globalisation by setting up its own production facilities in Australia (1957), Nigeria (1973) and Japan (1990) while expanding into the USA (1976) by buying car manufacturers. The company also set up a joint venture in China (1982).
9. 1. buy more than 51% of a company decided not to take over the company
10. 2. a company partly, or wholly, owned by anothercompanyfounded its first South American subsidiary,Volkswagen do Brasil S. A.
11. 3. a company partly, or wholly, owned byshareholdersIn 1960 Volkswagen became a public limited companyvalued at DM600m.
12. 4. worldwide expansionThe company continued its globalisation by settingup its own production facilities
13. 5. organising and building a factorycontinued its globalisation by setting up its ownproduction facilities
14. 6. income of a companyEurope’s largest car-maker with 242,770 employeesand a turnover of $65bn.