WHAT IS MOTIVATION?
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither
does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily. ~Zig Ziglar
SELF MOTIVATION VS. OTHER MOTIVATION
• Internal, personal factors
such as needs, interests,
• The activity itself is its own
• External, other people,
social pressure or
• Forced to do something
with little enthusiasm
EXAMPLES OF SELF MOTIVATION
• Personal growth
• Self fulfillment
• Values and beliefs
• Your examples?
EXAMPLES OTHER MOTIVATION
• Social Pressure
• Your example?
• Watch 3 minute Youtube video
• On a piece of paper, copy these questions below and answer
- Do you agree with the video? Why/Why
• Why are you in college? What motivates you to be here? Is this
self motivation or other motivation?
• Refer to the slide for a transcript of the video
• Be prepared to share your responses with the class.
WHAT MOTIVATES MANKIND? MONEY,
PUNISHMENT, LOVE FOR WORK.
• Money – 89% of companies reported that employees worked
harder when paid more. Nicholas Cage is accepting any role in
movies because he is desperate for $ even when hurts his image.
Obama’s goal for a job is one that pays well.
• Punishment – Philippine students forced to drink Hydrocloric Acid
because they failed lab. Michael Phelps doesn’t want to lose
because he will lose a lot of money and sponsors. Pablo Escobar
ran from the law because he wanted to avoid punishment for his
• Love for work – Kate Farley used to be an architect and quit the
job to be a horseback riding instructor. Jeby Abraham enjoys his
job as a clinical educator because he loves to teach.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.