1. A System for Sharing KnowledgeSHIFT FROM CLOSED TO OPEN LEARNING
2. Knowledge Artifacts1. HOW DOES YOUR LEARNING ARTIFACT EMBODY KNOWLEDGE? 1. What is the knowledge the artifact represents? 2. Focus not simply on the statement or expression of that knowledge, but also on the organization that constitutes a deeper and more complex knowledge.1. HOW DOES ONE USE YOUR ARTIFACT TO LEARN? 3. In what way does the artifact replicate or emulate the experience and performance of a person who already has this knowledge?2. WHAT IS THE COMMUNITY AROUND THAT KNOWLEDGE? 1. Is it a community of language speakers, or practitioners, of adherents of a faith? 2. What would characterize the community – does it revolve around an object, set of beliefs, way of looking at the world? 3. How does the community learn? 3 . K N O W L E D G E A R T I F A C T S
3. Email Knowledge Artifact Example Oh my... I dont know about you, but I was syncing my Google@UH Gmail / Calendar / Contacts all wrong! I used IMAP settings. Only today I discovered new instructions ITS has pointing to Google Help info for using Google sync (instead of IMAP or POP) to sync your Google@UH Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar using the native Mail app on the iPhone/iPad and using the native Add Account feature on Android devices. With Google Sync (compared to IMAP) it will push the email and changes happen instantly. All the instructions are here for each type of device: http://www.hawaii.edu/askus/1226 (If you knew this already then you can spare yourself from reading the rest below.) For iOS devices, you will use Microsoft Exchange to setup your account. Theres a little step in there that says it will fail to connect and then ask you to type in a server name which ism.google.com, then it works, so follow the directions carefully. It will let you sync your Contacts and Calendar from your Google@UH account as well. For Contacts, it will only sync contacts which youve put in your My Contacts group in Gmail. So if you want all the leeward people to be in your Contacts on your iPad, for instance, select them all in your Contacts on your computer and put them in My Contacts, then it will sync to your ipad. If you go back into your Exchange settings you can specify how many mail days you want to sync to your device and which mail folders you want to push. (Inbox is default and is all I need really because thats the only new stuff coming in.) Theres even a Gmail app in the iTunes Store now... but I think the Exchange thing works great rather than having to workout bugs in the Gmail app... With the native Mail app it also syncs your Google@UH Calendar and Contacts. For Android devices, set it up like youre adding a Gmail account (Menu > Accounts). (I swear this didnt work two years ago when I attempted to add my Google@UH Gmail account which is why I had to set mine up using IMAP.) After you add your Google type account, you can then checkmark which apps you want to sync like your calendar, contacts, and docs too (make sure you have the Google Calendar and Google Docs apps installed). (I didnt opt to sync all my leeward contacts on my phone though.) Using the native Gmail app on my phone is so much better than the email app using IMAP! Now I gotta tell everyone I know to sync their devices this way! Spread the word! (I put the link on several of our Google pages on our EMC site as well.)
4. “Gated” Email Community artifact received and forwarded artifact received artifact received The artifact is stored in email for future access knowledge artifact received artifact emailed artifact received artifact received and forwarded artifact received1. The first person chooses to share artifact with 5 other people.2. Two of those people choose to forward the artifact to one other personal.3. A total of 7 people have access to the artifact.
5. Open Learning Community/Network The Word wide Network Learning Institution • Divisions • Areas • Areas of interest Community of a division or Area • Individual staff /faculty members knowledge artifact feeds are aggregated and tagged by department or area of work. Community of colleagues receive knowledge artifact feed via their choice of tool. Email artifact is posted to a blog that “feeds” (sends) the post others in a community and on the network.
6. Continual Learning with Knowledge Artifacts Network (see previous slide) Artifact is “fed” (sent) Artifact is aggregated Topics with to network and and tagged by Tags collected and Knowledge artifact Department/work department /work categorized by topics used and expanded area community area upon Artifact is posted topersonal/professional blog Topics with Artifact is Tagged Tags collected and Knowledge artifact categorized by topics used and expanded upon
7. Join theCommunityDevelop a PersonalLearning Environment Becomes My Professional Dossier