Branding Yourself Apart
How to Get the Competitive Edge by
Taking Control of your Personal Brand
Why build your brand?
Who Are You?
• Exercise: You have 3 minutes to come up with
one word that if you had to brand yourself
people would know an attribute of yourself
that is significant
• Tell the person on either side of you your word
think of Your Brand
The process for developing your brand
• Research competitors online and offline
• Being authentic and excellent is more
important than being different
• Research brands you admire in and out of real
• Online research is most thoroughly done via
The online audit:
• Social Media
• Competitors and their friends
• Google Alert
• Familiarize yourself with differences between
each social media site
• See who is talking about your company online
• What blogs do you read?
• Are mentioned?
• Where should you have a presence that you
• Who has a blog that you admire?
• The comments will tell you a lot about who is
Keys to effective online brand building:
• Give yourself structure
• Be authentic
• Keep it timely and fresh
• Add value to all posts and make it a fun read
• Be humble
Measurement of Success
• How will you measure success in your brand?
• Can you convert visitors to more?
• Relationship building
• Learning something new about your customer
A, B, C Model
A You B Your
Customer C Their
Formulate Brand Messages
• Synthesis of everything
• To be used throughout everything your
• Can be in form of mission statement,
slogan, “elevator pitch”, etc.
• Should reflect your core words and also
make it clear who you serve
Brands should have a mix both:
Grand Gestures and The Personal
Your Brand Is Everywhere
• Personal interaction
• Signature elements
• Social media
• Newsletters, reports
• Interviews with press
• All collateral
Canvassing these mediums creates a feeling
that YOU are everywhere!