5 key questions to create a successful business - Insights from USASHERIDAN CHILVERSNottingham Roosevelt Scholar - 2011
Sheridan Chilvers My BackgroundWork Experience• New College Nottingham - Entrepreneur-In-Resident• Nottingham Energy Partnership – Affordable Warmth Project Coordinator• The Energy Saving Trust – Energy Advisor and Green Communities Programme Coordinator• Nottingham City Council – Climate Research Officer – LCLIP• Alliance Boots – Assistant Supply ManagerAcademic Experience• MSc in Environmental Management @ The University of Nottingham• BSc (Hons) Business and Technology @ Sheffield Hallam UniversityVoluntary Experience• Ecoworks, Nottingham Civic Society, Rotary,• British Council: Climate Advocate (08), International Climate Champion (09), Delegate (10), Mentor (11) and Green Ambassador (12).
Nottingham Roosevelt Scholarship • Established in 1945 as a living memorial to FDR• Aims:1) Promote Nottinghamshire;2) Learn about American Culture; and3) Support professional development. • Over 140 individuals have taken the trip to the USA.
Purpose of visit Research focused on: Organisations that support and develop of Social EntrepreneursDefinitions: Social Entrepreneurs: ―Social entrepreneurs are individuals with innovative solutions to society’s most pressing social problems. They are ambitious and persistent, tackling major social issues and offering new ideas for wide-scale change‖ Ashoka (Business) Ecosystem: ―An economic community supported by a foundation of interacting organizations and individuals—the organisms of the business world… Over time, they coevolve their capabilities and roles, and tend to align themselves with the directions set by one or more central companies.‖ James F. Moore
Areas of focus (1) Support Organisations Social (3) (2) Entrepreneurship Co-working &Educational Ecosystem IncubationInstitutions spaces (4) Networking Groups
(1) Who’s in MY Ecosystem? Personal Business• Friends • Strategic Partners• Family • Competitors• Business Contacts • Stakeholders Locally, Nationally, Internationally
(1) Who’s in MY Ecosystem?...ContNAME:FOCUS: Concept Start-UpSUPPORT: • Funding • Fellowship • Mentorship (online/offline) • Idea generation support
(2) What are MY Values?Definition: ―Values reflect a person’s sense of right and wrong or what ―ought‖ to be.‖Why are they important?• They represent who YOU are• They support the decision making process• They help to identify like minded people• They help to identify potential partners (instead of competition)
VALUES Holstee Manifesto (Click image to play video)
(3) Who’s in MY community?Definition: ―Community usually refers to a social unit that shares common values.‖Why is a having Community important?• Brings like minded people together• Brings people around your product/serviceHow can you interact with your community?• Social Media - Community without boarders• Co-working Spaces - Collaboration
(3) Who’s in MY community?...Cont *Closed Network*―We incubate people not businesses‖ ―Some organizations incubate companies - we incubate people. Our• Social Innovation Institute mission is to accelerate young leaders and help them have a global• Ideas Market Place/ Competition impact before they become 30.‖• Fellow Summit/ Global Circle
(3) Who’s in MY community?...Cont Co-working Space (Hybrids) Incubators• Co-Loft (LA) • The HUB (San Fran) • Green Village Philly• Blank-Spaces (LA) • NedSpace (Portland) • Green Town Labs (Boston)• Green Spaces (NYC)
(3) Who’s in MY community?...Cont Blank-Spaces, (LA) Co-Lofting, (LA)―Work for yourself, not by yourself‖ ―Work, Network, Prosper‖ Top 5 benefits of using co-working spaces (1) Creative Environment (2) Bespoke Support and Services – Accelerators (3) Flexibility and Adaptability (4) Ready Built Communities (5) Opportunities for Collaboration & Openness
(3) Who’s in MY community?...Cont Nottm Clean Tech Centre -Environmental Technology Biocity HACK SPACE -Life ScienceWallis Building Nottingham Antenna- IT Companies -Creative Industries University of Nottingham Nottingham Trent University Enterprise Labs The Hive -Students -Students
(4) What’s MY Story?Why is MY personal story important?• It helps people to connect with you• It provides the context for your business• The potential to inspire othersWhat questions do I need to ask?• Where did I come from? (personal challenge)• How did I get to where I am now? (Support)• Where do you want to go and What future do I want to create for myself?
(4) What’s MY Story?..Cont “Don’t Settle” ―Be Social Change is a platform that empowers, connects, and organizes the world of social change.‖ “What’s Your BFHG?”What’s Your Big Fat Hairy Goal?
(5) Am I being Unreasonable enough? ―Giving high-impact entrepreneurs wings‖ • Unreasonable Market Place • 6 week institute, • 25 Entrepreneurs, • 30 Mentors, ―The reasonable man adapts himself to the • 1 Mansion,world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all • The Unreasonable Climax progress depends on the unreasonable man.‖ (Click Blackboard image to play George Bernard Shaw video)
Creating a catalyst Student Entrepreneurs The HUB The Bold Academy Unreasonable Rework Institute Jobs Leadership University Boulder,TechSTARS Course of Local Colorado, Authority in Boulder Boulder, Colorado
Summary• Who’s in MY Ecosystem?• What are MY Values?• Who’s in MY community?• What’s MY Story?• Am I being Unreasonable enough?Networking…Ask the next person you meet…• What’s their BFHG is? &• Are they being Unreasonable in what they do
THANK YOU FOR LISTENINGContact Details:• Mobile: 07938244367• Email: firstname.lastname@example.org• LinkedIn: sheridan.chilvers• Twitter: sdchilversBusiness Details A community of cross-sector professionals Elementree Connections that want to make a positive impact on “Share Your Passion” people and planet Meetup.com/elementree connections