The Canarsie Line was first a steam railroad, a BRT elevated line (later known as BMT), then a subway going into Manhattan in 1924. On October 21, 1865 it was first owned and operated by Brooklyn and Rockaway Beach Railroad. It operated from Atlantic Avenue in East New York to Canarsie Pier.
The birth of Canarsie’s first Roman Catholic Church, Holy Family was in 1880. The church's first building was a small wooden structure that stood on the corner of East 93 Street and Conklin Avenue. After a fire destroyed the building, the church was rebuilt on Flatlands Avenue and Rockaway Parkway. In 1935 the church started to expand by adding a Rectory, a Convent and a School. The present Holy Family Church still stands on the corner of Flatlands Avenue and Rockaway Parkway. With the church’s expansion, it covers 2 blocks, Rockaway Parkway thru East 98 Street.
Opening in 1909, Canarsie became BPL's thirty-ninth branch in 1932. Five years later, the library moved to more spacious quarters, but by 1957, even more room was requested and a new building was constructed in 1960.