Good Day! DRAW A LINE SEPARATING TODAY & YESTERDAY 1) Write: Date: 03/12/10 , Topic: Cold War Asia 2) On the next line, write “ Opener #26 ” and then: 1) Plot your mood, reflect in 1 sent . 2) Respond to the opener by writing at least 2 sentences about : Your opinions/thoughts OR/AND Questions sparked by the clip OR/AND Summary of the clip OR/AND Other things going on in the news. Announcements: None Intro Music: Untitled
Agenda 1) Chinese Civil War 2) Korean War 3) North Korea End Goal, you will be able to… 1) What should we do with North Korea? Reminder 1) Test 2 on Friday (study guide on W)
Review 1) Containment Theory (1946) : US diplomat George Kennan writes the need to stop communist aggression, but not roll back . 2) Iron Curtain (1946) : UK Churchill says an Iron Curtain has split Eur: West (US) vs. East (USSR)
West Europe Becomes Socialist : Ppl vote to raises taxes to expand welfare services ( big gov ) Reasons: a) Fear of spread of communism b) Gig gov had won WWII, and the country was so wrecked that they thought only gov can fix c) Poor and returning soldiers needed help Key Distinction (Capitalism – Socialism – Communism): While W. Europe becomes socialist, they do so under free democratic elections , unlike in communist E. Europe where there are no elections , and gov controls everything , not just areas of social services.
3) Marshal Plan (1947) : US plan to spend $13 bil (08: $100 bil) to rebuild Eur, prevent communism
4) Berlin Blockade (1948-1949) : Stalin blocks off Berlin, US flies 1,398 supply flights a day (1/m). This exp. helps unify US and Ger.
5) United Nations (1945) : New league of nations created with a Security Council of the world powers to enforce the UN’s will a) General Assembly: Every Country - 1 Vote b) Security Council: 5 Permanent Members w Veto Power ( US, UK, France , China, USSR ), 10 Non-permanent No Veto Power
6) Cold War (1946-1991) : Conflict between US allied nations and Soviet allied nations that never broke out in real direct war ( though plenty of proxy indirect wars ) Greece and Turkey (1947) : Soviets ( really Yugoslavs ) support Communist revolution, US donates $400 mil + successfully stop it.
7) Hungary (1948) : USSR placed Com. dictator in control ( 1956: Nagy tries to lead rebellion, but fails, assassinated ) 8) Czechoslovakia (1948) : USSR placed Com. dictator in control ( 1968: Dubcek tries to give ppl indiv. but fails b/c USSR invades )
Notes #25b , Title: “ Start of Cold War ” 9) NATO (1949) and WARSAW (1955) : US and W Eur create mutual protection NATO alliance. USSR forces E Eur to join Warsaw Pact (Red) . North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO): USA Canada UK France (but, won't submit to NATO military command) W. Germany Italy Greece Turkey
10) Nuclear Arms Race (US: 1945, USSR: 1949) : USSR fear US will use, if they don’t have it too. ( UK: 1952, France: 1960, China: 1964, India: 1974 )
11) Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) : Peace is maintained as long as each side has 2 nd strike ability to catastrophically retaliate .
Notes #26a , Title: “ Asia Cold War Notes ” 1) Mao Zedong (1893-1976) : Leader of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) 2) CCP wins Civil War (1949) : CCP kinder to ppl, less corrupt, + less foreign 3) Taiwan : Chiang + KMT flee to island: Taiwan (US keep CCP from finishing off KMT)
Work #26a , “ Taiwan 1949 Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: Let Chiang + KMT fall 1) Chiang is corrupt and a dictator 2) China is such a big country, US has enough problems with the Soviets PRO: Back Chiang + KMT 1) Chiang is pro-America (his wife is popular in America) 2) Chiang (Taiwan) is capitalist, he could one day help make China capitalist again
Work #26b , “ China UN Seat 1971 Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: Give China, China’s UN Seat 1) 1 in 5 people live in China 2) China-Soviet relations are tense, US can be a wedge between them to weaken USSR. PRO: Let Taiwan Keep China’s UN Seat 1) Taiwan is pro-America 2) Can’t afford to give China veto power on the Security Council
Work #26c , “ Taiwan Today 2009 Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: If war started, leave Taiwan to defend itself 1) China is capitalist now, but it’s still ruled by the Communist Party 2) China is more economically important to America than Taiwan PRO: If war started, fight China to save Taiwan 1) Taiwan is pro-America 2) Taiwan is the only true democracy among Chinese people
Notes #26b , Title: “ Asia Cold War Notes ” 4) 38 th Parallel : USSR keeps promises to stop at 38 th Parallel, Korea split in 2 5) North Korea : USSR backed Kim Il Sung convert N. into communist dictatorship 6) South Korea : US backed Syngman Rhee convert S. into capitalist dictatorship
7) Korean War (1950-1953) : North invades S, almost wins, US lands, almost wins, China lands, tie, cease fire ( still no peace treaty )
Work #26d , Title “ UN Security Council (5) ” Scenario: North Korea (communist) invades South Korea (capitalist) a) USA: Must stop spread of communism everywhere (containment) b) UK and France: Will do what US says as long as doesn’t effect Europe. c) China (Taiwan): Wants to stop the spread of communism in Asia d) USSR: Must support those who wish to overthrow their oppressive capitalist govts. 1) Summarize what is the role and power of the UN Security Council and what it the crisis. 2) Write down your solution/outcome. 3) Write down your solution/outcome if the USSR was not present to vote. In 1950, out of protest that Taiwan still had China’s security council seat, USSR walked out.
Work #26d , “ Korean War 1950 Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: Leave S. Korea to defend itself 1) Americans are too tired of fighting, WWII was just 5 years ago 2) This isn’t some small proxy war, this could spark a nuclear war with the USSR PRO: Help S. Korea 1) S. Korea is pro-America, if it falls, the rest of Asia could fall into communism 2) Chance to take out communism in N. Korea, and maybe even in China
Work #26c , Title “ Korean War 1950 ” 1) Copy Source Title: Taegukgi 2…) Discuss questions on the board with a partner. Summarize your discussion ( include their name at the end ). Remember participation points are deducted if off task. 5 Reading/Film Qs Come From These Work Sections
Homework: 1) Test 2 on Friday Workbook Check: If your name is called, drop off your workbook with Mr. Chiang ( if requested, points lost if your workbook is not turned in )