Transcript of "012810 World Wwii Europe Russia 50m"
DRAW A LINE SEPARATING TODAY & YESTERDAY 1) Write: Date: 01/25/10 , Topic: WWII: Russia 2) On the next line, write “ Opener #13 ” and then: 1) Plot your mood, reflect in 1 sent . 2) Respond to the opener by writing at least 2 sentences about: Your opinions/thoughts OR/AND Questions sparked by the clip OR/AND Summary of the clip OR/AND Other things going on in the news. At the bell, be in your Hamsternly seating stance (wear Hamstern colors if you have it)
Agenda 1) Nazi Europe v USSR (Russia) End Goal, you will be able to… 1) How did Communist USSR Russia save Europe? Reminder 1) Test 1-Delayed to Monday 2/08
Why do people obey dictators? It has to do with group authority. People behave differently in groups. Hamstern Reich Our leader will be the Hamstern (hampster in German)
Fascism Experiment: From this Fri, to Next Fri Project Goals: To understand why do people submit to group authority? Project Rules: 1) This project only takes place in this class, you may not continue the simulation outside of class. 2) This is purely a simulation, you may stop participating whenever, and then just observe. 3) Obviously, no one may verbal or physically harass or intimidate any student (that’s not the goal, and any such actions will be handled seriously) 4) Don’t take the simulation to seriously, but try too understand the dangers of group authority.
Project Background In 1967, at the former at Cubberley High School in Palo Alto, teacher Ron Jones began an experiment with his sophomores in which he turned his class into a fascist regime. The project was unethical because students were not told it was an experiment, and students were encouraged to continue their actions outside of class. He was truly trying to create fascist regime. In our class, we are NOT trying to re-create a fascist regime. We are trying to feel and then understand the power of group authority. You are ROLE PLAYING, you are not really trying to become this. In the end you have to remind yourself, it’s just a hamster (HAMSTERN)!
<ul><li>Hamstern’s Two Laws </li></ul><ul><li>Strength through Discipline </li></ul><ul><li>Strength through Community </li></ul>
<ul><li>Seating Procedures </li></ul><ul><li>Feet flat on the floor, back straight, hands on the table (start class in Seating Procedure) </li></ul><ul><li>Saluting Procedure </li></ul><ul><li>Stand by your desk, feet together </li></ul><ul><li>Bend elbows, close fist (like holding a low bar) </li></ul><ul><li>3) Say: Strength through Discipline </li></ul><ul><li>Strength through Community </li></ul><ul><li>Strength through Hamstern </li></ul><ul><li>Speaking Procedure </li></ul><ul><li>When ever you speak, you end with saying “Hiel Hamstern” </li></ul>
Hamstern, Hamstern, above everything, Above everything in the entire world! When, for protection and defences, We will always take a hamsternly stand! Hamstern strength. Hamstern loyalty. For the Hamstern Father Land! Hamstern, Hamstern! Above Everything! For the Hamstern Father Land!
Review 1) 8/1939 : Hitler + Stalin ally to split up E. Europe
2) 9/01/1939 : Ger. invades Poland, UK+France decl. war. WWII Eur. has started (WWII Asia 37) 3) Axis Powers (1940) : Germany, Italy, Japan ally (USSR wanted to join, but Ger. refuse)
4) 5/1940: Churchill becomes UK Prime Minister : Chamberlain replaced with warhawk Winston Churchill. “ These are not dark days: these are great days - the greatest days our country has ever lived.” - Winston Churchill
3) 6/1940: France Falls : Nazi set up puppet gov (new captiol: Vichy). Fr. fight guerrilla war.
4) 6/1940: Dunkirk Evacuation : Remaining UK + Fr. Troops evacuate to UK (300,000)
5) 6/1940: Battle of Britain : Nazi bomb UK prepping for UK invasion (UK all that’s left) a) Ger’s 2,500 airplanes vs. UK’s 700 b) UK used radar to help maximize planes c) UK refuse to give up (inspired by Churchill) Plans for Operation Sea Lion
1) Joseph Stalin (1879-1953) : Ambition CPSU leader, outmaneuvers (later kills) Trotsky after Lenin a) Thought focus need be on USSR, not global re b) Power hungry, ruthless, paranoid leader 2) State Terrorism : Stalin would use secret police to monitor, arrest/kill opposition (never knew if being watched or who would report you) 3) Great Purge (1934) : Stalin paranoid of internal threats, arrest/kills ¾ CPSU officials, ½ military officers, well known writers and scientists (destruction of leadership will be costly in WW2)
Notes #13a , Title: “ Russia ” 1) Russia’s Lure : UK failed, USSR had land + raw materials, USSR’s military looked weak 2) 7/1940: Tripartite (Axis) Pact : Alliance between Germany, Italy + Japan (leaving USSR out)
Work #13a , “ Invade USSR Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: Don’t Invade USSR 1) We have won enough land + labor (slave labor) 2) USSR has a large population that can fight 3) USSR is an ally, focus on the fight we already started PRO: Invade the USSR 1) USSR has farm land, raw materials, + labor (slave labor) 2) USSR’s military is weak 3) Stalin can’t be trusted. Attacking USSR won’t provoke the USA.
Notes #13b , Title: “ Russia ” 3) 6/1941: Operation Barbarossa : 3 mil Nazi troops invade USSR (largest invasion in history) a) General Winter (1941) : Stopped 20m from Moscow
3) 8/09/1941: Atlantic Charter : Roosevelt (US) + Churchill (UK) secretly meet in the Atlantic to plan: a) Fight for right for ppl to pick own gov (no ambition) b) Open economic trade and prosperity for all
4) 12/07/1941: Pearl Harbor : Japan decl. war on US, Ger. decl. war on US (12/11). (US won’t open Western Front in France, Stalin thinks on purpose)
5) 7/1942: Battle of Stalingrad : Bogged in street fighting, 2 mil die (deadliest battle in history) USSR surrounds + captures 500,000. Tides turned.
Work #13b , “ Quit USSR Debate ” 1) Read the 2 sides, choose 1 side, and write which you choose and explain why . 2) Then write down what your partner thinks ( include their name at the end ). 1 2 3 4 5 CON: Continue fight with USSR 1) We are on the verge of defeating USSR 2) USSR materials can help us fight the US 3) We either fight or die and give up everything. PRO: Quit the USSR 1) We are losing too many troops and resources 2) US is in the war now 3) We overstretched, we should negotiate to keep what we already gained.
Notes #13c , Title: “ Russia ” 6) 12/1943: Tehran (Iran) Conference : Big 3: Churchill (UK), Roosevelt (US), and Stalin (USSR) agree let USSR keep part of Poland, but no W Front
Work #13c , Title “ Tehran Conference Simulation ” a) Churchill (UK): Wants time to recover from being the lone fighter. b) Roosevelt (US): Wants to win the war and wants to keep USSR weak c) Stalin (USSR): Wants US/UK to reinvade France to alleviate the pressures on them, and wants to keep the land they gained in Poland d) Chiang (China) Not one of the Big 3: Wants the allies to help China! 1) Write down your country. 2) Write down your country’s plan. Be ready to present.
Work #13d , Title “ Video: WWII: Eastern Front ” 1) Copy Source Title: BBC 2…) Discuss questions on the board with a partner. Summarize your discussion ( include their name at the end ). Remember participation points are deducted if off task. 5 Reading/Film Qs Come From These Work Sections
Work # , Title “ Emotion ” 1) Briefly summarize factually what happened to A. 2) Put yourself in their place , describe what emotions and feelings you would feel if you were A. 3) Share what you wrote, then each of you sign your name in your partner’s workbook under 3) to verified you’ve shared. Be prepared to present.
Homework: 1) Study today’s notes + work sections for a possible workbook quiz . 2) Test 1-Delayed to Monday 2/08. Workbook Check: If your name is called, drop off your workbook with Mr. Chiang ( if requested, points lost if your workbook is not turned in )
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.