5. Finding an idea is one of the hardest parts of the research process. Let me give you some advice.
6. Advice #1 Turn off your inner critic
7. The Brain has two hemispheres Right brain functions Thought Intuition Creativity Art & Music Left brain functions Analytic Thought Logic Language Science & Math
8. The Right Brain keeps you from turning into Spock Right brain functions Thought Intuition Creativity Art & Music
9. The Left Brain keeps you from turning into a Space Hippie Left brain functions Analytic Thought Logic Language Science & Math
10. To generate good ideas, you must silence your inner critic Right brain functions Thought Intuition Creativity Art & Music Left brain functions That ideas is dumb. It will never work.
11. And let your creative side play Right brain functions Left brain functions This is fun!
12. How do I do that?
13. Limit your time! Don’t give your brain time to criticize. Give yourself 20 minutes to come up 50 ideas.
14. Record your ideas on sticky notes
15. IDEA 1 IDEA 3 IDEA 2 IDEA 4 Organize them later
16. Or mind maps! Stay away from the computer - it will slow you down
17. Collaborate with others
18. In five years, what do I hope to have accomplished? Make lists of interests, hobbies, goals, concerns What do I want to do better? What do I want to learn more about? What experiences do I want to have? What controversial issues do I feel strongly about? What professions am I interested in? What problems do I want to see solved? What organizations or groups do I admire? Where would I like to travel?