1. Audi R15 TDI Plus• The Audi R15 TDI plus is a true inspiration from the Audi R15 that debuted in 2009. It is with better technical performance, with changed parameters and even the appearance is a bit modified. Given all its advantages it has all the potential to be an all-time winner. First of all, the Audi R15 TDI plus is constructed to generate even more downpower than the previous models and thus limiting the drag to a minimum. Also the R15 is made with a configuration that channels the air through the car, instead of running around it. This boosts up the aerodynamics of the vehicle and gives it the best chances for first place at the Le Mans races. Further on, the new 5-speed gearbox, a.k.a. Xtrac, is another addition to the shiny new toys the engineers hooked this auto up with. However, their choice to remove the controversial wing element did not come easy, given the fact that they had to mask the front suspension with only two legality plates. Searching for a way to create a better balance between diesel and petrol engines, the engineers at Audi made the decision to lower the maximum restrictor size and turbo pressure. Every single detail about the alterations on the new Audi R15 TDI is worth the time and energy. After all, the most important race in 2010 was won exactly by no other but the Audi R15 TDI plus – the more efficient and classy version of the one from 2009. This only goes to show that Audi is a first-class performer in the arts of creating smooth machines with monster engines. And it does not come as a surprise their determination to win the reputation of Auto-gods, as they probably won’t stop impressing the car-lovers for quite some time.
2. Audi R18 Coupe• The German car manufacturer Audi AG has reached perfection or is at least very close to it. The reason is the invention of the new race car – Audi R18. This awesome car produces around 540 horsepower, has V6 turbo diesel engine, 6-speed gearbox and looks absolutely amazing. The Audi engineers are inspired, creating a car which is head and shoulders above its predecessors. The new design of Audi R18 is one of the innovations. Unlike the previous Audi models (Audi R8, Audi R10, Audi R15) with their open-top design Audi R18 has a closed canopy, which helps for the aerodynamic features. Actually, the aerodynamic efficiency was the main purpose. “In the future, aerodynamic efficiency is more important for winning the race than in the past,” said the head of the department of Audi Sport Dr Wolfgang Uulrih. “A closed car has clear advantages in this respect” added Uulrih. Moreover, the closed type of coupe contributes for the comfort of the driver. Audi is the first car, introducing reforms not only concerning the outlook, but the light system. It’s the first car racing with full LED headlights. Audi R18 is made of carbon fiber monocoque, which is one of the reasons why the car is much lighter than the previous race cars. The replacing of twin turbochargers with one and the 3.7 liter engine, instead of 5.5 liter (the Audi’s R15 engine) also saves weight.
3. Audi R18 Specs• The Head of Engine Development atAudi Motorsport Dr. Ulrich Baretzky has confirmed that the new AudiR18’s specifications are an improvement aiming to win the 24 Hour Le Mans in 2011. There is no doubt indeed that the smaller, but more powerful and economical V6 diesel engine with 6-speed gearbox, alongside with the most efficient technology in the R18 TDI, are setting solid basis for this year’s competition. So what is so impressive about the AudiR18’s specs, you ask. Well, for starters, the V6 configuration for the car shows better performance than its predecessor – the AudiR15 TDI – can develop up to 397 kilowatts power, in other words 532 bhp. This so called ‘hot side inside’ is the first LMP car with full LED headlights that Audi has produced so far since 1999. Its unveiling on 10th December 2010 in Ingolstadt was just the beginning – its true debut at the 1000 km Spa round of the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup in May showed its potential, though finishing at 3rd place. Later in the year the AudiR18 has some more participations in the China 6 Hour, the Imola 6 Hours, Silverstone 6 Hours, Petit Le Mans and of course the all – time challenge – theLe Mans 24-hour race. So it doesn’t come as a surprise that in the 24 Hour Le Mans race, with such specs one out of three AudiR18s not only finished, but finished as an all-time winner, grasping the opportunity for first place for the 10th time for Audi. This only goes to show that the R18 is a result of excellent technology specs, combined with impressive appearance and flawless performance. This very much sounds like Audi’s trademark.
4. Audi R18 Le Mans• Audi hasn’t stopped even for a moment achieving high results in the Le Mans races for many years. Even though Audi has some very serious competition up against it, the company continues to upgrade the R – models, that participate in the LeMans. The AudiR18 is true evidence forsuccess. For the last ten months the AudiR18 has taken part in minimum 6 races, some of which beingLeMans races and has showed most satisfying outcomes for Audi. With almost all of itscharacteristics improved and its technical performance to maximum efficiency with minimum power, the AudiR18is afront – runner in the LeMans. At the 24 Hours of LeMans in June the R18 won Audi’s 10th win for the past 13 years. This, however, doesn’t make Audi absolute dominant at the LeMans. Its main rival, in this case, is Peugeot with the 908 HDI Fap since 2007. This has forced Audi to change its conception several times, until it got the R18 model car. The LeMans test is the ultimate challenge that has proven Audi’s excellent performance. The three R18s at the LeMans test showed best results, finishing in the following order – first, second and fourth. This inspiration of Audi’s engineers was unveiled in December last year and since then has had its ups and downs. At the 12 Hour Sebring the R18 was not able to participate, due to logistic and developmental reasons, thus Audi’s R15 entered the race and finished 4th and 5th.
5. Audi R18 TDI Speed and Comfort• If you are interested in super cars and engine R&D it is needless to say that the new Audi R18 TDI will really get your attention. The successor to the Audi R15 is equipped with 6-speed gearbox, replacing the older one (5-speed) and weights only 900 kilos, owing to the innovation of a single one turbocharger, instead of two. As an addition Le Mans Prototype (LMP) – Audi R18 uses a TDI turbocharged diesel engine and develops over 397 kWh (532 bhp). With these features it’s not a surprise that the German car, manufactured by Audi AG obtained its 10th winning in the 24 Hours of Le Mans race on April 24th, 2011. This happened by only 13.854 seconds! Some of the changes and improvements of the automobile make for the comfort of the driver – such as lower rear wing (which makes the car more stable and preserves it from turning over at greater speeds) and bigger and wider tyres. Audi R18 is also equipped with a high-tech steering wheel, which means that the pressure is constantly controlled by special sensors, fitted to every wheel, and whenever the pressure falls a predetermined amount the engineers are immediately warned. One of the incredible innovations is the unique sound. Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen says that the Audi R18 TDI is probably the quietest race car Audi Sport has ever built. He assures that you need to hear it yourself, cause the sound is fantastic.
6. Audi R18 Technical Performance andTest Run• Ever wondered what it would be like to drive a futuristic automobile, like the ones in blockbuster action movies such as ‘Batman’ or ‘The Fast and the furious’? Well, the German car manufacturer Audi has brought up to life something even more fascinating to the eye and mind in the last year. The development and testing of the R18 has been going on for two and a half years and the results have not been disappointing. The car features a new 6-speed gearbox, alongside with the new V6 engine, replacing the old 5-speed gearbox. Being referred to as ‘hot side inside’, the Audi R18 is so far the first since 1999 model of Audi to be a closed cockpit. Moreover, limiting the drag with the single rear wing mounted lower, this has made the convenience of gaining greater speed without the risk for the Audi R18 of turning over. This technical performance has contributed to the success in the 24 Hours of Le Mans race, when the automobile won Audi its 10th win in the past 13 years. As an addition to its technique parameters, the Audi R18’s appearance doesn’t fall behind. The R18 is the first ever LMP automobile to race with full LED headlights, becoming a real dream come true for every car driver. The new Audi R18 looks absolutely irresistible, far more high-tech than any previous Audi car. With such aerodynamics and LEDs, this car proves to be a solid investment by its creators. The new Audi R18 as it is said definitely “looks the business”, and probably is the best automobile in the world so far with such technical performance, that there certainly isn’t a car that could compare to its luxury and finesse. So if this is not a car of your taste, you should probably try something from the Hollywood section.