Virtual walking tour of historic buildings along Quay St Rockhampton, Queensland, from the Walter Reid Centre to the Criterion Hotel. Photos and text.
Links are provided to other sites for deeper information.
French born botanist Anthelme Thozet, (1826-1878) who lived in Rockhampton from 1858, propagated the native plum trees (native name Rancooran) and planted them on the Quay Street footpath in 1867.
Rockhampton heritage buildings virtual tour of Quay Street
Rockhampton Heritage BuildingsA historical walk along Quay Street
Welcome to a virtual tour along Quay Streetfrom the Rockhampton Harbour Board to the Criterion Hotel
When gold was discovered in Mt Morgan in the 1880s, Rockhampton became the mainport through which the wealth of Mount Morgan gold was channeled. Due to this wealthRockhampton weathered the severe economic depression of the 1890s and many of thetowns substantial brick and stone public buildings date from this period.The historic streetscape of Quay Street still displays a number of substantial historicbuildings, built when Rockhampton was envisaged as being capital of a state of NorthQueensland. Businesses were attracted to the wharf area but later moved nearer to theCustoms Building. Most early transport and communications came by river, well beforerail and roads to the region. Wharf Street became the less upmarket smaller streetdownstream, and included the Immigration Depot. The only wharf now on the river isQueen’s Wharf.26 buildings along Quay Street are included within the National Trust’s classification.Of these, 19 are from the 19th century. J.W Wilson, architect, designed many of thesehistoric buildings, including the Trustee Chambers, Winchcombe Carson, KerrickBrothers, Central Livestock and Produce Co-operative Society, and the Heritage Tavern.Most prominent of these is the sandstone Customs House (1900), which today houses aninformation centre.Other local nineteenth century buildings include the Post Office (1892), the SupremeCourt House (1888), and St Josephs Cathedral (1892).
Background HistoryIn 1853, Charles and William Archer were the first Europeans to discover the Fitzroy River.In 1855 the brothers took up the run on the Fitzroy River, naming it Gracemere Station.At first both cattle and sheep were raised, but in the early 1870s the station switchedentirely to cattle. Rockhampton now stands on part of the original Gracemere run.In 1858, the town of Rockhampton was officially proclaimed. The first sales of buildingallotments were held that year - the ‘town’ consisted of the Bush Inn and Palmer’s store.In 1859, gold was discovered at Canoona. Miners rushed to the field, using the site ofRockhampton as the nearest navigable port. The Canoona field proved disappointing , sothousands of would-be gold seekers who had sold everything to get there, were strandedpenniless in Rockhampton, ensuring a dramatic increase in the local population. Somestayed to work on the surrounding cattle properties while others found work in town.By 1861, the town had a regular newspaper, banks, court house and School of Arts. Directshipments of imported goods and migrants from the United Kingdom began to be receivedduring the 1860s.During the 1860s and 1870s Rockhampton developed as the main port for the developingCentral Queensland hinterland; the main export at that time being wool.
Harbour Board Building 288 Quay StBuilt 1896Architect: J W Wilson Owner: Rockhampton Harbour BoardRockhampton was declared aPort of Entry into NSW on 8October 1858 following theinflux of gold seekers toCanoona. It became aQueensland port in 1859when Queensland became aseparate State.The Harbours and RiversDepartment centred onloading and unloadingfacilities in the town reachand dredging the riverpassage to the mouth. Siltingproblems limited the vesselsize, and a deepwater wharfwas built in 1884 on RaglanCreek 70 km downstream.The Rockhampton Harbour Board was establishedin 1895 to take over administration of theport, and this is its Head Office.
The foundations of the building were described as particularly strong‘, as theywere allowed to stand for a month before construction of the building . It is one offew Rockhampton buildings from its period which does not possess major crackingcaused by foundation movement.The Rockhampton Harbour Board was among the first three boards to beestablished in 1895 together with Townsville and Bundaberg. The port served avast area of central Queensland, supported by a network of roads which broughtthe exports of gold, copper, hides, tallow and wool from the hinterland in the1860s.In 1867 the Northern Railway was established westward from Rockhampton whichincreased the flow of goods through the port. The port was influential inestablishing Rockhampton as the major trade and communication centre of theregion and its operation soon became a vital commodity in Rockhamptonseconomy.From 1977 Fitzroy Shire Council used the building before moving to their ownbuilding within that shire.More information:https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15591
Memorials and markersThe Fitzroy river bank is a well-planted area which has enduredmany floods, which are held back by the bank and seldom encroachQuay Street, though in 1918 the flood reached East St andinundated buildings along Quay Street as far as Archer Street, andrushed close under the deck of the original suspension bridge.The expansion of Rockhampton on this side of the river is held backby the fact there is a lot of floodplain, and Depot Hill in particular isoften affected by floods.A flood marker is found in the river, opposite the Walter ReidCorner and shows the height of showing relative heights of the1918, 1954 and 1991 and 2011 floods.The Harbour Board building of 1896, built by J W Wilson is in theblock before the Walter Reid corner.Located on the riverbank opposite this are memorials to the ArcherBrothers, at the spot where their supply vessel ,the Elida, probablylanded its first cargo, and to the Utopia ship which brought the firstimmigrants.Opposite the National Bank building is a bronze bust tribute to localWorld Champion tennis player Rod Laver.
French born botanist Anthelme Thozet, (1826-1878) who lived in Rockhamptonfrom 1858, propagated the native plum trees (native name Rancooran) in hisexperimental gardens, and planted them on the Quay Street footpath in 1867.The Burdekin Plum tree (Botanical name: Pleiogynium timorense)is native to the dry rainforests of north-eastern Australia, Papua New Guinea andTimor. The fruit is harvested in Spring.Thozet established the second hotel in Rockhampton, the Alliance, but driven by anever failing professional interest in botany he commenced researching nativeAustralian plants used by indigenous people of Northern Queensland, Australiaincluding the Darumbal clans around Rockhampton. Thozet established his ownplant nursery in North Rockhampton on 70 acres (280,000 m2) which are todaybounded by Thozet Creek, Thozet Road, Rockonia Road and the Fitzroy River.Thozet was instrumental in developing the Rockhampton Botanic Gardens, foundedin 1861, the first Rockhampton (south) cemetery, and the tree plantings along theFitzroy River CBD area. He may have planted the first mango trees in Australia on hisproperty in Rockhampton during the 1860sBiography: www.thozet.comhttp://www.anbg.gov.au/biography/thozet-anthelme.htmlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4K7WNEM20I
Walter Reid and Company buildingBuilt 1884Architect: R Gailey Owner: Walter Reid and Co.
Walter Reid buildings occupy the block from the corner of Quay Street and DerbyStreet to East Street. 260 Quay Street and 203 East Street.These were originally a warehouse and office of Walter Reid Company Ltd. The firstwas constructed in 1893 and designed by Brisbane architect Richard Gailey, in thethen contemporary Victorian style. A supplementary building (the current Walter ReidCultural Centre) was constructed in 1902 by Rockhampton architects Hutton &Hockings.Reid left Melbourne in 1862 attracted by gold finds near Rockhampton, Queensland.By March 1864 he had established his own retail business in East Street, but moved tolarger premises in Quay Street in 1868, with wholesale trade in wine, spirits, andgeneral merchandise to supply increasing hotel and station demand. Havingconsolidated his firm in the conservative British tradition he entered shipping in 1878by running lighters down the Fitzroy River to unload overseas ships at Port Alma.Walter Reid & Co was a successful business enterprise when Rockhampton relied onoverseas imports. The success of the company continued until the mid-twentiethcentury, when changes in the marketplace and consumer demands decreased theprofitability of their retail and wholesale business.Both Walter Reid warehouses were affected by fires in 1912 and 1918.
The Walter Reid & Co warehouses were occupied by the United States military under the NationalSecurity Regulations Australia Lend Lease. The second warehouse became a United States ArmyHospital, operated by the 41st Division Special Services, I Corps Special Services of the AmericanRed Cross. To facilitate the good behaviour of American soldiers, recreational and social activitieswere organised by the American Red Cross and the Special Services Department. The Walter ReidCentre also became an army hotel and recreational club and sometimes dance hall for soldiers.Both Walter Reid buildings were sold during the 1970s. The original building was converted intoinner-city residential apartments (opening in 1983), while the second building was purchased by theRockhampton City Council.Mayor Rex Pilbeam, an avid supporter of arts and culture for the youth of Rockhampton, wasinstrumental in the purchase and redevelopment of the building into a community arts and culturalcentre with rooms for many of the local arts and crafts groups, a theatrette and a gallery.The refurbishment of the cultural centre in 2002-03 saw additions that improved the structural andfunctional liveability of the centre. Much of the building’s original fabric survived to show how thebuilding operated as a warehouse.The community-designed mosaics on the footpath establish the atmosphere of innovation andcreativity that now defines the building as a cultural centre. Paintings by local artists are featured.A visit to the Centre gives an opportunity to view groups at work on their meeting days and topurchase art, craft and pottery. Musical concerts, workshops, exhibitions and twice yearly craftshops are held there.
More information from these sites:Walter Reid’s biographyhttp://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/reid-walter-ballantyne-4465Building historyhttp://www.qhatlas.com.au/content/back-again-walter-reid-cultural-centre-rockhamptonhttps://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15566https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15590Bonzle pictureshttp://www.bonzle.com/pictures-over-time/pictures-taken-in-1894/page-1/size-3/picture-oeyee1xg/rockhampton/walter-reid-co-building-rockhampton-queensland-1894Fireshttp://www.qhatlas.com.au/photograph/fires-walter-reid-building-rockhampton-1912-18Current usehttp://www.rockhamptonregion.qld.gov.au/Your_Community/Council_Venues_and_Attractions/Walter_Reid_Cultural_Centre
Avonleigh ChambersBuilt 1885Architect unknownOriginal owner Mr Frederick Morgan
Avonleigh 248 Quay StreetAvonleigh was built as a private residence for Mr FrederickMorgan, who was one of the Morgan brothers who foundedMount Morgan Mining Company.He was also mayor of Rockhampton from 1891 until his deathin 1894, aged 57.The building was bought by Dr. O’Brien, who extended it andconverted it into a private hospital in 1908.Each patient had a private room, for 2 guineas a week ($4.20).After other occupancies, it was bought by Dr. Lowrey in 1978and sold in 2005.For a time the upper floor was used as an art gallery, thenconverted into accommodation units.https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15588More information:
Goldsborough Mort building /Walter and Eliza Hall BuildingBuilt 1899
Goldsborough Mort building 238 Quay StreetThe Walter and Eliza Hall building was originally called the Goldsborough Mortbuilding. This late Victorian classical style single-story cement render and brickbuilding was built for Walter and Eliza Hall in 1899. Walter was a successfultransport, livestock and mining pioneer.Hall was already wealthy when his brother Thomas, manager of the Rockhamptonbranch of the Queensland National Bank, invited him to join the syndicate formed todevelop the Mount Morgan mine. On 1 October 1886 the Mount Morgan GoldMining Co. Ltd, with capital of £1 million, was registered in Queensland. The mineyielded gold and copper worth over £19 million and paid £8,079,166 in dividends by1913. Hall was a major shareholder, a director of the company and chairman of theSydney board.Wildfell, their home at Potts Point, Sydney, was a large two-storey house withgardens extending to the water.More information:https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=16252Walter and Eliza Hall Biography:http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/hall-walter-russell-454
The oldest medical research institute in Australia, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute was established in1915 with money from a Trust set up by Eliza Hall. A diabetic, Eliza Hall died of cancer at Wildfellon 14 February 1916.In 2013, researchers from the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research say they havesolved the mystery as to how insulin, a hormone in the blood, binds to the surface of cells. It ishoped this will assist scientists develop improved insulin medications to treat people with type 1and type 2 diabetes.Long-term tenant Goldsborough Mort bought the Quay Street building in 1917 to use as officesand a store. This company was advertised as the oldest and largest wool sellers in Australia. TheGoldsborough Mort Company had warehouses in many coastal cities in Australia so that theirwarehouses would be in close proximity to shipping to all points around the world. In 1843Thomas Sutcliffe Mort established Mort & Co in Sydney, as an auctioneering and brokeringbusiness specifically focusing on selling wool. The company merged with the Melbourne firm of RGoldsbrough & Co in 1888 to form Goldsbrough Mort & Co. The new company was in acommanding position, and its wool stores were a major physical presence in Sydney by the end ofthe nineteenth century. The firm was later to become Elders.Goldsborough Mort history:http://www.auspostalhistory.com/articles/132.shtmlhttp://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/goldsbrough-richard-3627
ABC BuildingBuilt 1897Architect JW Wilson Owner: Mt Morgan Gold Mining Company
ABC building 236 Quay StThis is a very important building in Rockhampton history. Built in 1897 in the neoClassicalrevival style as the head office of the Mt Morgan Mining Company. The rear courtyard hadhigh walls topped with broken glass and was the entry point for trooper-escorted coacheswhich delivered consignments of gold bars from the Mt Morgan smelter. The gold wasexported over the wharf at Rockhampton via the vaults in the Quay St Head Office.Mt Morgan, 45 km to the west of Rockhampton, became the site of richest gold mine in theworld. During its 100 year operation, 2500 tons (89 million ounces) of gold wereprocessed, with a current value of around $801 billion.BP owes its beginning to gold from Mt Morgan mine. Part-owner William Knox Darcy sawthat the British Navy was changing from use of coal to oil fuel. With financial backing fromhis share in the Mt Morgan mine, he arranged oil options in what is now Iran, and formed theAnglo-Persian Oil Company to sell the oil. This company later became BP.Another part-owner was local banker Walter Hall, who used his wealth to invest in pastoraland transport activities, and was the last owner of Cobb & Co coach network. On hisdeath, his childless widow Eliza returned to Melbourne where she set up the Walter & ElizaHall Institute, which now has an annual turnover of about $60 million to do medical research.In 1963 the ABC occupied the building, and the old gold vault is now used as the sound proofstudio. More information: http://www.abc.net.au/built/stories/s1147564.htmMt Morgan Mining Company had a major influence in the building construction in QuayStreet. The wealth of the region meant that many fine buildings , banks and warehousessprang up along the street overlooking the Fitzroy River and the port.
Heritage HotelBuilt 1898Architect: JW Wilson Owner: Mrs L Johnson
Heritage Hotel 230 Quay StreetOverlooking the Fitzroy River on Quay Street, the 110-year-old Heritage HotelRockhampton now features a rooftop beer garden; two nightclub areas; a public baroffering bar meals 7 days a week, the award-winning Heritage Grill Restaurant; waterfrontal fresco dining; several well-appointed private event spaces; and third-storeyaccommodation with CBD and river views.This site was previously occupied by the Golden Fleece Hotel, built in 1859.The present hotel was built in 1898 as Mrs. Leah Johnsons Commercial Hotel andChambers, at a cost of £6,500. The architect J W Wilson adopted a colonial style which isbest exemplified by the superb iron columns and wrought iron lacework on the threestorey narrow verandahs. It had 46 bedrooms, each with a verandah or courtyard view.The local foundry firm Burns and Twigg manufactured the iron lace, so prominent a featureof the hotels verandahs.The shop chambers at street level were leased out to commercial travelers to display theirwares. Mrs. Johnson ran many hotels until her death in 1923. After that the hotel changedhands many times, and became known as the Old Colonial Hotel.It was remodelled and renamed the Heritage Tavern in the 1980’s. The next door CahillsStore was bought in 1985 and converted into a nightclub.It underwent more renovations in 2005.
More Information:www.theheritagehotel.com.au/https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15585http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-factsheet/rockhampton-20081113-5z1t.html#ixzz2TQXE6sSQEarly Rockhampton Hotels historyhttp://www.cqhistory.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Institutions/EarlyRockhamptonHotels
Customs HouseBuilt 1898-1901Architect: AB Brady Owner: Queensland Government
Customs House 208 Quay StreetBuilt in the Classic Revival style with Greek Corinthian influence, this is the thirdcustoms building to occupy this site. The first building shared the site with the FitzroyHotel, and was a prefabricated iron and timber structure. It was replaced by a singlestory masonry building with a slate roof in 1863. Due to cost cutting during itsconstruction, the foundations were inadequate for the clay strata ,and later the buildingwas declared unsafe and the staff evacuated.Finally it was decided to build a whole new building, begun in 1898 and completed in1901. The foundations are a pile and rail method where wood piles 30 feet by 18inches were driven into the ground to the depth of 20 feet, cut off at ground level, andthen tied on each side with steel rails with their tops embedded in concrete. It cost19,300 pounds and is constructed with Stanwell stone crowned with a copper dome.The first sub-collector of Customs was Henry Lumsden in 1858. Rockhampton becamea major port , with exports exceeding those of Brisbane, exporting wool gold andcopper. Frozen beef was also exported by the Lakes Creek Meatworks, also hides andtallow. The meatworks was the largest meat processing works in the SouthernHemisphere. The Port ceased in 1958, and Customs stayed in the building until 1986.The City Council was handed the building in 1987 and spent $1 million on renovationsin 2000. In 1999 Rockhampton Tourist and Business Information moved into the groundfloor and are still there today.More information: https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15592
Horse-drawn vehicles travelling along Quay Street, in front of CustomsHouse, around 1906.
Royal Bank of QueenslandBuilt 1889Architect: JW WilsonOwner: Royal Bank of Qld
Royal Bank building 194 Quay StreetBuilt in 1889 as the Royal Bank of Queensland, this was one of the many banks attracted to thecity by the wealth of the Canoona and Mt Morgan gold strikes.As with most banks at the time, the manager lived on the top floor, while business wasconducted on the ground floor. Before the 1893 financial crisis, the city had 8 banks.Several owners have held the building since 1958.The current owners have a craft business on the ground floor and live above it.More information: https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15583Archer Chambers 206 Quay StreetNext door a much simpler building was constructed in 1870 as the offices of the ArcherBrothers who settled at Gracemere after finding the area in 1853 while searching for country inwhich to run sheep. When the last Archer brother died in 1921 this building was sold.Originally the new settlement was to be called Charlestown after Charles Archer, but hedeclined the suggestion in favour of Rockhampton, because of the rocks barring navigationupstream near the site of the current Neville Hewitt bridge.More about the Archer Brothers:http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/42131474http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/archer-charles-1712
Queensland National BankBuilt 1880Architect: FD Stanley Owner: Queensland National Bank
Queensland National Bank 186 Quay StreetBuilt as the Queensland National Bank in 1880, this very attractive building was used as abank until 1976. The architectural style is Neo Classic revival with Greek Corinthian influence.FD Stanley did a lovely job in designing this building. Its verandahs and high arches are usefulin a tropical climate, and the unobtrusive wrought iron railings help filter the sun’s glare. Themanager at first lived upstairs and bank business was carried out on the ground floor.The Queensland National Bank was the first and most successful of Queenslands three 19thcentury banks. It was established in 1872 and by 1880, the bank held 40 per cent of the totaldeposits and advances in Queensland, a higher proportion than any other banking institutionin any Australian Colony.The building was then bought by a firm of solicitors, Rees R and Sydney Jones.Rees R Jones was Town solicitor from 1871-1896. This legal firm still operates, and is thelongest continuing practice in Queensland.The exterior has remained in its original state though the interior has had extensiverenovations over its lifetime.More information: https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15582
Luck House 182 Quay StreetBuilt 1862Architect: JW WilsonOwner: PD MansfieldThis was built in 1862 for generalmerchant PD Mansfield, first Postmasterand 2nd Mayor of Rockhampton.He died in 1869. The trustees leased thebuilding to Walter Reid Co. and tosolicitors William Knox Darcy and Rees RJones. The present facade was added in1884. The additions were designed bythe prominent Rockhampton architectJohn William Wilson.After 1941 the family sold the building toan accounting firm.More information:https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15581
Cattle HouseBuilt 1886Architect: Addison and Corrie Owner: Union Bank of Australia
Cattle House 180 Quay StreetThe Cattlemans Union building at 180 Quay Street, Rockhampton was erected in 1903 as atwo-storey concrete-rendered brick building for the Union Bank of Australia. The bankmanager lived on the top floor.It was designed by Brisbane architects Addison and Corrie , and was the second premisesto be constructed on the site for the Union Bank. The original bank premises was erectedin 1864 making it one of the earliest examples of commercial development in Quay Street.FD Stanley was the architect for the first building, one of the earliest in Quay Street.It was extended and rebuilt in 1898, to include the colonnaded facade.In October 1951, the Union Bank of Australia and the Bank of Australasia merged to formthe Australian and New Zealand Banking Corporation Ltd.The Quay Street Building remained the premises of the ANZ Bank until the building wasbought by the Cattleman’s Union, and re-opened by the then Premier Joh Bjelke-Petersen.Various tenants now use the building.https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15580
Legal ChambersBuilt 1887Architect JW Wilson Owner: Dr Callaghan
Trustee Chambers 170 Quay StreetBuilt in 1887, this was the private residence of Dr William Callaghan. William was the seconddoctor to practice in the town. Soon after his arrival in Rockhampton in 1861, he wasappointed as coroner and district medical officer. He was also house surgeon at theRockhampton Hospital. He was a respected citizen with a love of thoroughbred horses.Callaghan Park Racecourse was named in his honour.Dr Callaghan was at one time alleged to be involved with the mystery surrounding themissing head of Thomas Griffin. Police Magistrate and Gold Commissioner Thomas Griffinwas convicted of murdering two police constables on gold escort duty going to Clermont.Callaghan was alleged to have assisted in disturbing Griffin’s grave and removing the head forscientific examination. Dr. Callaghan died in Rockhampton in 1912 and the mystery fate ofthe missing head remains inconclusive.More on this mystery:http://www.cqhistory.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Events/MurderOfTheClermontEscortThis home is built in the Classic Colonial style and is heritage listed. It cost 5,000 pounds tobuild.The building is now leased to a variety of professional businesses.A special stained glass window was commissioned and installed in 1995 containing scenesshowing the occupations of the previous tenants and owners.More information: https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15577
The Rockhampton Club Built 1887 -93Architect: James Flint Owner: Mr Thomas McLaughlin
The Rockhampton Club 166 Quay StreetRockhampton’s first brewery was built here in 1880, founded by F Russell and A Bouricault.However, the brewery strangely was not successful, so Thomas McLaughlin bought thebrewery and moved its workings further down Quay Street to Gasworks Flat, where its MacsBeer became famous.He built this present building as his family home.Built in colonial style in 1887, it later became the Rockhampton Club, an exclusive gentleman’sclub. To cater for members from country areas accommodation was provided on the upperstorey of the building. Members of the Club also were allowed to permanently room at thepremises.In 1999 in an attempt to boost flagging membership, female members were finally allowedaccess. Increasing competition from other clubs and especially sporting clubs were affectingthe continuing existence of the Club. By 1995 only 150 people were registered members.The Club closed in 2002 .The building is now occupied by accountants and financial planners.More information: https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15576
Criterion Hotel 150 Quay StreetThe first hotel , The Bush Inn, was built in 1858 on this site by Robert Parker, soon afterRockhampton was declared a settlement.The Bush Inn was constructed from slab and weatherboard with a shingle roof.In 1862 it was enlarged and renamed as the Criterion Hotel.The present Criterion Hotel was designed in 1889 by architect J Flint for Mrs DorindaAnn Curtis, one of Robert Parker’s daughters, who had made many trips overseas andthought Rockhampton deserved a grander hotel. It is built of concrete rendered brickwith timber floors and a magnificent flagged marble entry.The hotel remained in the Curtis/Palmer family until sold to the Smith family in 1946.More details:https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/placeDetail.html?siteId=15575http://www.criterionhotelrockhampton.com.au/
The hotel is reported to have a ghost, believed to be a chambermaid whoreportedly committed suicide in room 22 after a broken romance. From time totime guests have reported feeling a presence in this room.The interior is preserved in much the style in which it was built, with bedroomshaving shared toilet and bathroom facilities on each landing. A few rooms nowhave ensuites.The Criterion hosted many famous guests including Prime Minister Sir RobertMenzies, US First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt, film star Gary Cooper, and Sir DonaldBradman.The hotel was the headquarters for WW2 generals MacArthur and Eichelberger.The hotel has always belonged to families and is now owned by the Turnbull family.
Old Fitzroy BridgeBuilt 1952Engineer: James Arthur Holt
“Old” Fitzroy River BridgeFrom 1858 until the first road bridge was built in 1881, the town residents weredependent on ferries and punts to cross the Fitzroy river.North Rockhampton was a separate municipality until 1919.For more on this see: http://queenslandplaces.com.au/node/662Mr Robert England, Mayor, opened the first bridge in 1881. Frederick J Byerley, theEngineer of Roads for the Northern Division, designed the bridge in a graceful ironsuspension style, and supervised its construction, but eventually the bridge wasdeemed unsuited to increasing motor vehicular traffic.In 1952 Mayor Rex Pilbeam opened the present ‘Old Bridge’ which was built besidethe original one, taking 7 years to construct. It was designed by James Arthur Holt andcost 600,000 pounds. It was certainly an engineering feat, being 1,210 feet wide. Atthe time it was the longest continuous plate girder bridge in Australia.The original bridge was then dropped into the river using explosives. Remnants canbe seen at low tide on the bank on the downstream side. The rubble formed a sortof artificial reef and is considered a good barramundi fishing spot.
The original Fitzroy River bridgeFor more early Rockhampton history see:http://queenslandplaces.com.au/node/736http://library-resources.cqu.edu.au/cqcollection/manuscripts/short-manuscripts/rockhampton.pdfhttp://www.cqhistory.com/wiki/pmwiki.php/Places/RockhamptonNowAndThen
We hope you have enjoyed this tour alongQuay Street. For other significant historicalbuildings in Rockhampton, please visithttp://rockyheritage.blogspot.com.au/Notable buildings include :William St - Catholic & Anglican cathedrals,Agnes and Archer Sts - Grammar Schools,East St - Courthouse and the Post Office,Bolsover St - School of Arts & Schotia PlaceDenison St - Archer Park Railway StationAgnes St - McAuley PlaceSt Pauls Cathedral 89 William Sthttp://www.anglicanrock.org.au/pdf/CathedralHistory.pdfSt Josephs Cathedral 169 William Sthttp://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~auscqfha/churches_catholic.htmCathedralappeal.org.au/Restoration%20Celebrations/Booklet/Comm%20Book%20Section%203.pdf
Rockhampton Post Office in East St 1892Built of Stanwell freestone at a cost of 35,000 poundsOther Rockhampton heritage listed buildings :Search for Rockhampton at https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/chimsi/basicSearch.html
John William Wilson, Architect:http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=205754Richard Gailey, Architecthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Gaileyhttp://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/2009/05/richard-gailey.htmlF D Stanley, Architecthttp://www.pillarsofanation.com.au/architects6.htmlAlfred Barton Brady, Architecthttp://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/brady-alfred-barton-5334James Arthur Holt, bridge engineerhttp://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/holt-sir-james-arthur-12650
Photographs by Anne McHughAdditional historical images courtesy ofJohn Oxley Library and Picture Queensland,State Library of Queensland