1. Global Media Consumption: The Digital Reality March 2013 This is a preview Full report available on our Report Store
2. INTRODUCTION • The digitalisation of media is dramatically transforming how consumers spend their time, and for the first time, this report provides a perspective on the reality of that shift on a global scale. • In response to the rapid evolution of media, we have evolved our “Time Spent” data to reflect not only usage in analogue versus digital channels but also to understand how that online time is spent across different online activities and devices. • Key insights in the full-report include:  In the majority of markets and demographic subsets surveyed, cross-device online time exceeds traditional media time;  Huge global variation in media time from an average of just 7.6 hours in Japan to 14 in Argentina;  UAE, China, and Malaysia are the most digitally orientated media markets in the world;  Mobile makes up 30% of online time in some markets;  The USA consumes the most traditional TV in the world – an average of 4.7 hours a day;  China consumes less TV than any other market but the highest level of online TV;  The vast majority of consumers multi-tasking with other devices while watching TV;  News is the most digitised media type.
3. METHODOLOGY: QUESTION FORMAT The majority of the data in this report comes from the sub-category “Cross Media Consumption” and question series “Time Spent”. The core time spend question is designed as follows: “How many hours do you spend doing X on a typical day?” Less than 30 minutes 30 minutes to 1 Hour Watching TV Watching Online TV 1 to 2 Hours Reading Physical Press Reading Online Print / Press 2 to 3 Hours Listening to Online Radio 3 to 4 Hours Listening to Radio 4 to 6 Hours Online via PC/Laptop/Tablet Social Networking 6 to 10 Hours Online via Mobile Micro-Blogging More that 10 Hours Playing Games Consoles Blogging Do not use Combined consumption time of: Reading Online Print / Social Networking Watching Online TV Time Spent on Other Press Online Activities = Total Time Spent Online - Listening to Online Blogging Micro-Blogging Radio
4. C R O S S P L AT F O R M T I M E March 2013
5. GLOBAL TIME SPENT: Digital is 57% of daily media time I Social 48% of online. Online PC Online Mobile TV Radio Physical Print Games Consoles Online TV Online Radio 7% Online News Social Networking 5% Micro-Blogging Blogging Other 11% 9% 42% 24% 9% 10% 23% 9% 12% 27% 12% 10.7 hours of MEDIA TIME per day 5.6 hours of DIGITAL TIME per dayGlobalWebIndex GWI.8 Q4 2012: Global Data – 31 Markets. Question: “How many hours do you spend doing X on a typical day”
6. INTERNET SHARE: In some markets, mobile makes up over 30% of internet time 100% 90% 80% 70% 60% 50% 40% 30% 20% 10% 0% Online PC Online MobileGlobalWebIndex GWI.8 Q4 2012: Global Data – 31 Markets. Question: “How many hours do you spend doing X on a typical day”. Ranked by total media time.
7. EXPLORING DEMOGRAPHICS MEDIA TIME: Young groups rejecting TV Average Time Time Share 12.00 100% 90% 10.00 80% 70% 8.00 60% 6.00 50% 40% 4.00 30% 20% 2.00 10% 0.00 0% 16 to 24 25 to 34 35 to 44 45 to 54 55 to 64 16 to 24 25 to 34 35 to 44 45 to 54 55 to 64 Radio Radio Games Consoles Games Consoles Physical Press Physical Press TV TV Online on mobile Online on mobile Online on PC/Tablet/Laptop Online on PC/Tablet/LaptopGlobalWebIndex GWI.8 Q4 2012: Global Data – 31 Markets. Question: “How many hours do you spend doing X on a typical day”.“Other” is a calculated time variable: (“Online via PC” OR “Online via Mobile”) – (All Online behaviours combined)
8. SEB VS TIME SPENT ONLINE: Direct relationship between the two Average Time Online V Social Engagement Benchmark (SEB Score) More Socially Engaged 6 AVERAGE TIME SPENT ONLINE VIA ANY DEVICE PER DAY 5.5 Malaysia Philippines 5 Brazil Thailand South Africa Mexico UAE Indonesia USA (HOURS) Singapore 4.5 Poland China Taiwan Russia Argentina Turkey Saudi Arabia Canada UK 4 Italy India France Sweden Spain Hong Kong Netherlands 3.5 South Korea Japan Germany 3 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT BENCHMARKGlobalWebIndex Q4 2012
9. GET THE FULL REPORT WITH DATA COVERING ALL GWI MARKETS EMEA Find us on: UK | FRANCE | GERMANY | ITALY | SPAIN | NETHERLANDS | POLAND | TURKEY | RUSSIA | SWEDEN | SAUDI ARABIA | UAE | SOUTH AFRICA www.globalwebindex.net AMERICAS US | CANADA | MEXICO | ARGENTINA | BRAZIL APAC CHINA | HONG KONG | SINGAPORE | INDIA | INDONESIA | JAPAN | MALAYSIA | VIETNAM | THAILAND | TAIWAN | SOUTH KOREA | AUSTRALIA | PHILIPPINESGlobalWebIndex 2013