Notes:Wide Range of Degree ProgramsApproximately 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students in eight colleges69 bachelor’s degrees with 81 concentrations, 65 master’s degrees with 29 concentrationsOutstanding Faculty and Small Class SizesMost classes under 40 studentsNationally Ranked UniversityRanks tenth in the U.S. in total number of minority graduatesRanks among the top 10 public universities in the Western U.S. offering bachelor’s and master’s degrees (#10 in 2011 U.S. News & World Report)Top-rated ProgramsEngineering programs ranked among highest in the nationGraduate School of Business ranked among 301 best business programs in U.S.
NotesOn-campus housing is required for all first-year university studentsCompare costs to Stanford ($52,000) and U.C. Berkeley ($46,000)
Notes: About SJSU The presence of great universities helps explain the success of Silicon ValleyNearly 200 SJSU graduates have founded, co-founded or served as top-level executives of major public and private companies (including Intel, Oracle, and Seagate)Top provider of engineering, science and business graduates to Silicon Valley
Notes:The heart of downtown San JoséCampus covers 19 city blocks154 acres in downtown San José23 academic buildings Contemporary student housing7 residence halls Campus Village: multi-story residence hub completed in 2005Contemporary living space for more than 2,000 students, faculty and staffIncludes retail and recreational facilitiesInternational HouseSupervised off-campus home to 70 domestic and international studentsOffers a unique opportunity to interact with students from around the world Martin Luther King Jr. LibraryState-of-the-art facility built in 2003Built in partnership with the City of San José
Mild California climateAverage 300 days of sunshine per yearAverage temperature 16°CPerfect for year-round outdoor activities: running, hiking, biking, etc.Nearby attractions+ San Francisco+ Santa Cruz Beach+ Yosemite+ Lake TahoeNapa ValleyMonterey BayShopping & diningDowntown restaurants & nightlifeSantana RowMallsGilroy OutletsEntertainmentMovies, music, theater, museumsSpartan Athletics and professional sports teams: Sharks, Giants, A’s, Forty-Niners, Warriors, Raiders, Earthquakes
Notes:Crossroads of Cultures31.7 % Asian26.3 % Caucasian 9.5 % Mexican-American7.0 % Filipino4.0 % African-American 12th most diverse campus in the Western U.S. Students come to SJSU from around the worldIndiaChinaVietnamTaiwanJapanIndonesiaSouth KoreaMalaysiaCanadaUnited Kingdom International StudentsRanked first in total number of international students among all master’s-issuing institutions in the U.S.
San José has a Chinese population of more than 60,000 residents (4th in the U.S.)Bay Area offers a wide variety of Chinese professional organizations, social clubs, cultural groups, radio and TV stations, newspapers, magazines, dance, music, theater, sports and special eventsActive Chinese Student Association at SJSU
NotesAcademic and TOEFL preparation9 or 17-week programs (20 hours per week)Have been training International students for 35 yearsActive Communication in EnglishHelp improve English skills through immersion in campus life6-week program (18 classroom hours per week)Housing options include: Campus Village ApartmentsInternational HouseHomestaysOff-Campus ApartmentsHotels and MotelsSupport for adjusting to American cultureExperienced advisors Supportive communityMonthly activities, field trips, etc.Conversation Clubs
1. Doorway to California and Silicon Valley San José State University International and Extended Studies
2. Why International Students Choose San José State University Academic Excellence Exceptional Value Ideal Location Unique Opportunities
3. Academic Excellence
4. Academic Excellence: A Proud Tradition • Founded in 1857, SJSU was the first public college in the western United States and the first campus in the California State University system • Today, SJSU is proud to be a national and international leader in higher education
5. Academic Excellence • Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in 134 areas of study • Outstanding faculty and small class sizes • Ranks in the top 10 public universities in the Western U.S. (U.S. News & World Report 2011) • Graduate School of Business ranked among 301 best business programs in the U.S. • Engineering among top 20 schools in the nation offering bachelor’s and master’s degrees, Industrial/Manufacturing ranked 3rd, Computer Engineering ranked 5th, Undergraduate Engineering ranked 19th • One of top 200 research universities in the U.S.
6. Academic Excellence: Martin Luther King, Jr., Library • State-of-the-art complex completed in 2003 in partnership with the City of San José and SJSU • It is dedicated to life-long learning for all members of the public and university communities • The King Library houses over 1.5 million volumes, seats more than 3500 people and receives over 2 million visitors each year
7. Exceptional Value
8. Exceptional Value • California State University system is one of the most affordable in the U.S. – Annual tuition and fees at SJSU for international students (2011-12): $16,472 – On-campus housing and other expenses: $12,000 – TOTAL average annual costs: $28,729
10. Silicon Valley Innovation • San José is “The Capital of Silicon Valley,” the world’s center for technology and innovation • SJSU is the top provider of engineering, science and business graduates to Silicon Valley
11. Silicon Valley Innovation More than 1,000 major high-tech companies are headquartered within 40 km of the SJSU campus!
12. Vibrant Downtown Campus • The heart of downtown San José • Contemporary student housing • Martin Luther King Jr. Library
13. Endless Recreation • Mild California climate • Nearby attractions • Shopping & dining • Entertainment
14. Unique OpportunitiesCultural Diversity | Influential Chinese Community | International Gateways
15. Cultural Diversity • SJSU student body represents a true crossroads of cultures • More than 2,600 international students come to SJSU from around the world • SJSU ranks #1 in U.S. for total number of international students (Among institutions that issue master’s degrees)
16. Influential Chinese Community • San Jose has fourth largest Chinese population among U.S. cities • Wide variety of cultural groups and events • Active Chinese Student Association at SJSU “ SJSU is such an open, diverse, accepting community. I feel very comfortable here. ” - Jack, Qingdao, China
17. Influential Chinese Community • The Chinese government considers SJSU one of the best Chinese leadership training sites in America Mme. Liu Yandong and Dean/Associate Vice President Dr. Mark Novak
18. International Gateways • A unique program at SJSU for international students • Academic and TOEFL preparation courses • Active communication in English • Assistance with housing • Support for adjusting to American culture
20. Undergraduate Admission Requirements • For an introduction, visit: csumentor.com/planning/international • Freshman (first year) admission is based on successful completion of high school with the equivalent of at least a U.S. 3.0 grade point average. • Transfer student (has completed 60 semester units) admission is based on the equivalent of at least a U.S. 2.4 grade point average received in all college or university coursework. SJSU offers conditional admission, info.sjsu.edu/web- dbgen/narr/static/admission/intl-cond.html to undergraduate programs to first time freshman students who are academically qualified, but have not • In addition, international student applicants met the English language requirement at the time of application. must meet minimum score requirements Applicants are issued a conditional admission letter to SJSU and advised to attend International Gateways for assistance in meeting the language on an approved English language requirement: igateways.sjsu.edu proficiency test.
21. Graduate Admission Requirements • For an introduction, visit: csumentor.com/planning/international • Many of our graduate programs require applicants to take a standardized test before they may be admitted to the program. For further information please visit: sjsu.edu/gape/prospective_students/ • In addition, check your intended graduate program department, sjsu.edu/gape/graduate_programs/index.htm , to learn if it requires a separate department application or letters of recommendation, or has other department procedures. All supplemental department materials should be sent directly to your intended department.