Introducing the Hebrew Bible
Text, and Translation
Toward A Working Definition of
the Hebrew Bible
• The Hebrew HB is an ancient collection of
diverse and complex texts reflecting
interdependent expressions of the life, thought,
and witness of ancient Israel and primitive
Judaism that is regarded by Jewish and
Christian religious traditions as possessing
special sanctity and authority.
1/24/09 Introduction to Hebrew Bible 2
Antiquity of Hebrew Bible Text
• The text of the Hebrew Bible is more than
2000 years old.
• The Hebrew Bible is the product of a remote
Ancient Near Eastern milieu.
1/24/09 Introduction to Hebrew Bible 3
Understanding the Hebrew Bible as
• The Hebrew Bible is a collection of documents
from different sources.
• The genres of the Hebrew Bible are manifold.
• The interrelationship of documents that
compose the Hebrew Bible is a literary
1/24/09 Introduction to Hebrew Bible 4
Contents of the Hebrew Bible
• The contents of the Hebrew Bible represent the
life, thought and witness of ancient Israel and
• Despite the composite nature of the Hebrew
Bible, the unification and organization of its
content suggests an interdependence of
1/24/09 Introduction to Hebrew Bible 5
The Sacredness of the Hebrew
• Despite the difference in content organization,
Judaism and Christianity regard the Hebrew Bible
• The Hebrew Bible is divinely inspired.
• The Hebrew Bible is a rule by which these
religious traditions measure themselves.
• The Hebrew Bible is a norm by which these
religious traditions govern themselves.
1/24/09 Introduction to Hebrew Bible 6
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.