How to write a well-behaved Python command line application
- 8,986 views
Tutorial #1 from PyCon AU 2012 ...
Tutorial #1 from PyCon AU 2012
Python is a fantastic scripting language. It is easy to hack up quick scripts for all sorts of problems - without a lot more effort, that hack can become a robust, easily maintained command line application that your users love.
This tutorial covers how to write useful, well-behaved command line applications that are a joy to use:
* Easily process command line options
* Write a script that can be used interactively or as a filter
* Display help to the user
* Gracefully handle and report errors, to the user and the shell
* Trap and process signals in a robust manner
* Create an easily configured application
* Use a range of the Python standard library modules for easier command line scripting
* Test your application
* Set up the supporting files that any well-behaved application should have, eg. a man page
* How to package your application for other people to use
This tutorial will assume a very basic knowledge of Python and some familiarity with the command line environment of your choice.
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views