1. "The science and engineering of making INTELLIGENT machines" -John McCarthy A RTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE Sapience of Homo-Sapiens for Machines
2. C ontents <ul><li>Definition
4. Traits of an Intelligent System
7. Evaluating Progress
9. Predictions </li></ul>
10. D efinition Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the intelligence of machines and the branch of computer science that aims to create it. Textbooks define this field as "the study and design of intelligent agents" .
11. H istory <ul><li>Thinking machines and artificial beings appear in Greek myths.
12. Alan Turing's theory of computation formed the basis of development of the electronic computer and in turn aided the idea of AI research.
13. The field of AI research was founded at a conference on the campus of Dartmouth College in the 1956.
14. John McCarthy, one of the leaders of AI Research was regarded as “The Father of AI”. </li></ul><ul>"Machines will be capable, within twenty years, of doing any work a man can do” </ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><ul><li>-Herbert Simon </li></ul></ul></ul></ul></ul></ul></ul></ul></ul>
15. <ul>T raits of an Intelligent System </ul><ul><li>Deduction, Reasoning & Problem Solving
16. Knowledge Representation
17. Planning & Learning
18. Natural Language Processing
19. Motion & Manipulation
20. Perception & Social Intelligence
22. General Intelligence </li></ul>
23. A pproaches <ul><li>Cybernetics & Brain Simulation
27. Integrating the Approaches </li></ul>
28. T ools <ul><li>Search & Optimization
30. Probabilistic Methods for Uncertain Reasoning
31. Classifiers & Statistical Learning Methods
32. Neural Networks
33. Control Theory
34. Languages </li></ul>
35. E valuating Progress <ul><li>In 1950, Alan Turing proposed a general procedure to test the intelligence of an agent known as the Turing test.
36. The broad classes of outcome for an AI test are: </li><ul><li>Optimal
37. Strong super-human
39. Sub-human </li></ul></ul>
40. A pplications <ul><li>Artificial intelligence has successfully been used in a wide range of fields: </li><ul><li>Medical Diagnosis
41. Stock Trading
42. Robot Control
44. Scientific Discovery
45. Video Games & Toys
46. Web Search Engines. </li></ul></ul>
47. P redictions <ul><li>AI is a common topic in both science fiction and projections about the future of technology and society.
48. Robot Rights
49. The impact of AI on society is a serious area of study for futurists.