10.3 BILLION searches are conducted EVERY MONTH on Google.
internet users from all age groups increased participation in social networking sites from December 2008 to May 2010: Milliennials rose from 67% to 83% Every generation 45 and older more than doubled participation Adults 74 and older quadrupled their participation (from 4% to 16%)
Year to reach 50 million users… RADIO – 38 years TV – 13 years INTERNET – 4 years iPOD – 3 year Facebook also tops Google for weekly traffic in the U.S.
With more than 600 million active users worldwide and rising fast, if Facebook were a country, it would be the third most populated country behind leaders China (1.33 billion) and India (1.17 billion).
Fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year old females
What is content marketing… “Content marketing is a marketing technique of creating and distributing relevant and valuable content to attract, acquire, and engage a clearly defined and understood target audience - with the objective of driving profitable customer action.”
1. Social Media June 21, 2011 Presented by Patrick W. Giammarco Presented to College of Business and Innovation, Executive Center for Global Competitiveness Sponsored by
2. How are businesses using digital and social media tools for marketing and branding?
3. Agenda <ul><li>The Changing Landscape </li></ul><ul><li>Inbound vs. Outbound Marketing </li></ul><ul><li>Social Media Marketing </li></ul><ul><li>Content Marketing </li></ul><ul><li>Viral Marketing </li></ul><ul><li>Social Review and Couponing </li></ul><ul><li>Digital and Print Converge </li></ul><ul><li>Q & A do.ning.com </li></ul>
6. Before Google (10+ years ago)
7. Before Social Media (2 to 10 years ago)
8. The Age of Social Media (today and future)
10. Ninety percent of consumers surveyed noted that they trust recommendations from people they know, while 70 percent trusted consumer opinions posted online Nielsen Global Online Consumer Survey, 2009
11. “ … the Internet has turned what used to be a controlled, one-way message into A real-time dialogue with millions. DANIELLE SACKS THE FUTURE OF ADVERTISING FAST COMPANY , NOVEMBER 17, 2010
12. OUTBOUND VS. INBOUND MARKETING * Telemarketing * Tradeshows * Direct mail * Email blasts * Print ads * TV/radio ads * SEO * Landing pages * Blogging * PPC * Content * Buzz
13. SO•CIAL ME•DI•A [soh-sh uh l mee-dee- uh ] Wikipedia defines social media as how people discover and share news, information, opinions, insights, experiences and perspectives with each other. It’s the democratization of information, transforming people and businesses from just content consumers into content publishers Image from www.istrat.in/blog/?tag=/facebook
14. “ … … Social Media is Word of Mouth Marketing on steroids.
15. 79% of adult Americans use the Internet . SOURCE: PEW INTERNET & AMERICAN LIFE PROJECT, MAY 2010
16. 78% of Internet users conduct product research online. . SOURCE: PEW INTERNET & AMERICAN LIFE PROJECT, MAY 2010
17. 9 out of 10 Internet users visited a social networking site each month in 2010
18. 83% of Millenials have joined a social network SOURCE: Pew Internet Generations 2010 report
19. YouTube is the 2 nd largest search engine in the world
20. Facebook added over 200 million users in less than a year Years to reach 50 million users...
21. IF FACEBOOK WERE A COUNTRY, IT WOULD BE THE 3 rd MOST POPULATED IN THE WORLD
22. 1 out of every 8 minutes online is spent on Facebook
23. 40% of Facebook’s user base is age 35+
24. 4 Cs of Social Media Marketing Content + Context + Connection + Community