Master thesis sketch
08. october 2009
• In the era of Internet and social software new services are launched
daily with hope to succeed in the Internet market. Still to become
successful the service needs to have more than just a superior idea.
• Until now the main focus on developing user-centered services has
been on usability. But also usable service can still fail if the user
experience is not rich enough.
• Therefore the factors of user experience need to be understood to be
able to design a service with rich user experience.
Usability vs UX
• Usability looks at how users tried to use the site. If visitors did
something wrong—if they couldn't ﬁnd a particular button, or if they
entered their hat size in the price ﬁeld—they weren't doing something
the designers intended (Croll 2009, Complete Web Monitoring).
• User experience (abbreviated UX) is a term used to describe the
overarching experience a person has as a result of their interactions
with a particular service.
“If we craft online experiences that delight our
users, our businesses will be better positioned to
succeed on the web.”
• The goal of the thesis is to study user experience in web-based time
management portal toggl.com and make suggestions how user
experience can be improved.
• First, a literature study is done to ﬁnd similar research and obtain a
comprehensive understanding of user experience.
• Secondly the user experience measurement methods are studied and
chosen for user experience testing.
• The toggl.com is evaluated though user experience testing.
• The results and improvements suggestions are presented.
1. What is user experience and which are the factors that inﬂuence user
2. Which are the user experience measurement methods?
3. How rich is user experience in toggl.com and how it can be improved?