View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
3) Persistence I. Observation A. Attitude “ You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you posses eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.” John 5:39-40 Search the Scriptures until you come to Jesus
3) Persistence I. Observation A. Attitude To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “ If you hold to my teaching , you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32 Hold on to Jesus’ word
3) Persistence I. Observation A. Attitude Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? Luke 15:8
I. Observation 1) Literary form 2) Structure “ The light shines in the darkness , but the darkness has not understood it. In him was life and that life was the light of men” John 1:4-5 John’s gospel contrasts light and darkness, truth and lies, belief and unbelief
I. Observation 1) Literary form 2) Structure “ This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light , and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light , so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.” John 3:19-21
“ Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”
4. Atmosphere I. Observation 1) Literary form 2) Structure 3) Selectivity
4. Atmosphere I. Observation 1) Literary form 2) Structure 3) Selectivity He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled . Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” Matthew 26:37-38
4. Atmosphere I. Observation 1) Literary form 2) Structure 3) Selectivity “ When Jesus saw her weeping , and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping , he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled .” John 11:33
II. Interpretation What does it mean? Why? What for? What does it mean? Why is it here? How does it fit the context?
II. Interpretation What does it mean? Questions about terms Glorify, Sanctify (John 17) Love (Deuteronomy 6:5) Questions relating to structure Why is there contrast between Samuel and Eli’s sons? (1 Samuel 2:12-21) Why are there two accounts of creation of man? (Genesis 1-3)
III. Application What does it mean to me? Are there any commands to obey? Are there any promises to claim? Are there any prayer topics to make my own? - “Love one another” - “Feed my sheep” - “Go into all the world and make disciples of all nations”