Social Local Mobile
– Check, with others, before buying, entering, walking in to..
– The taxi, restaurant, location, people, events, movie
– Ubiquitous use of smartphone creates easy access of
location based information and payments
– Sensors will grow an Internet of Things economy. Taxi‟s,
people, location, restaurant, ticketing etc.
Mobile payments / commerce
– Mobile commerce is growing rapidly, 100+% annually
– 35% of visitor traffic now is through Tablet / Smartphone
$250 mio+ funding by Bezos, Goldman
Sachs, Google (series C)
$15 mio+ funding
$26 mio+ funding by Braintree (PayPal)
So what is the big deal about ‘Uber’?
If you think of Uber as…
town car company operating in a few cities, it is not big.
a dominating and even growing the town car market in dozens of cities,
it gets bigger.
delivering both people as well as things (packages, dry cleaning, groceries)
it gets even larger.
a giant supercomputer orchestrating the delivery of millions of people and
items all over the world, you get what could be one of the largest companies
in the world.
Mobile Commerce: Innovation into
Source: Gartner, IDC, Forrester
Source: Innopay Transaction Context Model, 2010
Mobile Payments in Exponential Phase
• Mobile transactions will
account for 4% of all
credit- and debit card
• The numbers seem low,
but for the last five years
mobile transactions have
annual average growth in
the U.S. alone.
• Making Things available, not previously addressable,
• “The Internet of Things” (IBM)
• Uber does this with luxury cars (today)
• TaskRabbit with human capacity
• Crossover from virtual to physical presence
payments. iBeacon, PayPal Beacon (coincidentally
the same word „Beacon‟ is used)
Many to many „things‟ broker
Price varies with available
Taxi capacities can easily signin and sign-out to marketplace
by app (Mobile First)
• A first real instance of organizing things by mobile
• It is an online marketplace of real time assets and
capacities, which happen to be luxury cars
Uber Technology Stack
• Python (Pyramid and Flask frameworks)
• iOS / Java for iPhone / Android apps
• Modern web based technologies, with ditto programmers
and web based attitude.
Many to many „things‟
Prices are consumer
People can easily sign-in,
sign-out of marketplace
by app (Mobile First)
Payment models used by new
• Easy on boarding of
– card.io API (used by
• Marketplace mechanism
for suppliers of model
– Braintree marketplace
(TaskRabbit, Uber -partly)
Credit Card on boarding
Web developers do not like
marketing. They like easy
and modern type of