2. Introduction One of the principal alkaloids of opium, morphine is a narcotic drug used in medicine for its analgesic effects. Morphine is extracted from the dried milky juice of the unripe seed capsule of the opium poppy. It was first isolated by the German chemist F.W. Seturner in the early 1800's.
4. Opium poppy
7. Advantages to any other pain reliever drugs <ul><li>Highly effective in relieving severe pain like gallstones and terminal cancer. </li></ul>
8. Disadvantages <ul><li>Has several side effects like constipation, sexual disfunction, and lack of energy.
9. When take in higher than prescribed, doses can paralize the diaphragm that lead a person to death.
10. Can be converted into heroin , a prohibited drugs that can cause a person to addictiveness. </li></ul>
11. Solidified heroin
12. Liquified heroin
13. Morphin in combination with one in the atropin group, is used by most surgeons prior to operation as an adj juvant to general anesthesia. There are some who do not use it or who administer it with some concern, especially in eurologic condition when kidney function is poor. We may say in the beginning that while the advantages of the drug both before and after operation are obvious, the disadvantages are problematic; and it was with the purpose of determining whether this advantages really exist.