What is brand strategy?
• Central unifying idea which aligns behaviours, actions, communications
• Works across services
• Builds on a vision and is aligned to business strategy
• Illustrates who you are and what you do
• Defines positioning, differentiation, competitive advantage
• Needs to resonate with all stakeholders – internal and external
• Guides marketing
• Makes it easier for the salesforce to sell more
• Provides clarity and inspiration to employees
What do you need to do?
• Be true and committed to your strategy – sound, don’t waiver
• Invest in developing your identity – this will cost - management time, $$
• Be consistently consistent – needs addressing
• Have a brand strategy – drives marketing, sales, inspires employees
• Have Board support – starts at the top; it is a top down process
• Walk the talk – need to be clear on what is ‘walked and talked’
• Single master brand which everything is unified
• One name – one visual system
• Features/benefits of product or service are less important than brand
• Client trusts the brand
• Brand extensions built by descriptors
• Marketing synergy between product and service name and the parent
• Product and service has a clear market presence; benefits from parent
• Parent endorses the product/service
Endorsed logos: Product, Corporate, Service and Event
Which architecture matches
your desired attributes?
• Reflects business strategy
• Simple structure
• Designed around client needs
• Consistent with values
• Reflects brand value synergies
The process to develop your brand
strategy and architecture
Developing the brand
• What are we? What are our competitive strengths? What are our deep
capabilities that are sustainable? What founding characteristics need to
endure? What are we proud of and proud to be?
• What do we do? What are our key services? What future services will we
• How do we do it? What skills, approach do we have? How do we work
these to our competitive advantage?
Developing the brand
• Who are we? What’s our personality, our values? What has made us who
we are today? What do we do or need to do to deliver?
• Why do we do it? What’s our cause, purpose, mission? What do you like
about coming to this place?
Brand Audit and
Brand Strategy and
Group Brand Design
and Service Brand
Create a Project, elevate as
Brand audit of key collateral.
Review and assess values, brand
essence, and competitive
Stakeholder consensus on
values, brand essence.
and Market offerings
across core applications
Guidelines and standards
new identity –
internal and external
Systems and processes
for maintaining standards
Making this happen - focus
• Determine project name –Communicate. Establish communication
channel for awareness, involvement and accountability
• Undertake brand audit – gather and assess collateral
• Develop brand essence – workshop and get consensus
• Consider architecture direction – leadership to determine in light of
• Engage a designer – experienced, capacity and quick understanding
• Determine collateral – business critical; a unique & defining application
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.