• Advantages and Disadvantages
A small portable computer that is designed to be worn on the
Wearable technology (also called wearable gadgets) is a
category of technology devices that can be worn by a
consumer and often include tracking information related to
health and fitness.
Other wearable tech gadgets include devices that have small
motion sensors to take photos and sync with your mobile
Wearable technology, wearable devices or fashion
electronics are clothing and accessories incorporating
computer and advanced electronic technologies
• Idea dates back to the 1960’s .
• Early models not feasible because of large, bulky size
• 1966 Ivan Sutherland created first head mounted computer
• 1977- Vest and Headset developed to aid the blind
• 1980’s general purpose wearable computers developed
• In 1990’s wearable computing swiftly progressing
• Today, computer fibers being woven in clothing fibers
Wearable computing implementation
Input Device Display Device
Low Power Indicator Power Supply
Com port VGA out
Parallel port Back plane
Some wearable computers use “keyers” (key switches mounted to
a grip, rather than to a board, as with a keyboard) and trackballs as
Many try to use more intangible means of input like gesture,
speech recognition or context awareness.
The output may be presented through displays, lights, sound or
even haptic interfaces(touch screen).
Ability to modified reality by using wearable computers.
HOW IT WORKS?
Human Interface System (Humionics)
The user interface for a wearable computer is fundamentally
different to those of the regular computers .
It should satisfy the following criteria:
Shall be constantly available to the user
Shall not require constant user attention.
Shall be able to communicate with the user and the
There are three kinds of network possible:
Through WAP, or Cellular Digital packet data.
Wired and wireless connections
Through infrared or radio signals.
Handwriting and keyboard
Head Mounted Displays with earpiece
A smart shirt is clothing made from smart fabric and
used to allow remote physiological monitoring of
various vital signs of the wearer such as heart rate,
respiration rate, temperature, activity.
A smart watch is a computerized wristwatch with
functionality that is enhanced beyond timekeeping,
and is often comparable to a personal digital
Smart glasses is a wearable computer with an optical head-
mounted display (OHMD) or computerized internet-connected
glasses with transparent heads-up display or augmented reality
overlay that has the capability of reflecting projected digital
images as well as allowing the user to see through it.
• Google Glass take pictures, record videos, track routes
using inbuilt GPS systems, answers whatever we asks,
translates your voice to another language etc.
• Glass also uses many existing Google applications, such
as Google Now, Google Maps, Google+, and Gmail.
• By pairing mobile phone to Glass, Glass acts as a
Bluetooth headset for your phone and you'll be able to
place and receive phone calls/sms through Glass.
Eye Tap technology
• Miniature electronic devices that are worn by the bearer
under, with or on top of clothing.
• Developed for general or special purpose information
technologies and media development.
• Smart clothing are fabrics that enable digital components
and electronics to be embedded in them.
• Integration of textiles with electronic elements like
microcontrollers, sensors, and actuators.
Eye Tap Technology
• EyeTap is a device that is worn in front of the eye that
acts as a camera to record the scene available to the eye
as well as a display.
• EyeTap intakes the world around it and augments image
the user sees allowing it to overlay computer-generated
data over top of the normal world the user would
A new Bluetooth-enabled wearable ring allows users
to check smartphone alerts and manage incoming
calls right from their finger. Users can manage the
settings of the gadget called Smarty Ring from a
mobile app, and can even use the device as a watch,
timer or phone finder.
• The Air Umbrella, the concept removes the
plastic top from the umbrella and replaces it
with a wind shield. The design of the Air
Umbrella calls for air to be sucked through the
bottom, then shot out of the top in a pattern
that mimics the standard canopy.
Health care monitoring systems
• User friendly, easy to learn
• Computer moves with you
• Patients data easily obtained
• Enhanced Communication
• Able to use wearable computers to complete daily tasks
• Work from anywhere
• Can cause irritation in heat, Side-Effects such as Headaches
• Can be used to gain an unfair advantage over others
• It may become easier to get data on an individual if the item
• Small display
• Smaller keyboard
• Battery Life - By far, the biggest problem for most wearable
devices is the limited battery life.
Wearable Computers would dominate in the near future.
Now you can class your mobile phone as a mobile computer as
that can be used take photos, surf internet, and many other
We believe that all electronic devices will be able to
communicate with each other . And it’s possible by the
Wearable Computers would Paved way for a healthy
competition in the business world
• wearable technology that use the evolving familiar
technologies that brings the sophistication and ease of
communication and information access even for the
physically challenged class of people those literally could not
use general way of palmtops and mobiles.