Be the first to like this
Geo-Enabling Retail and Property (with emergent location solutions)
Steven Eglinton, GeoEnable
First presented at The SLA Forum 2013
In this presentation I will examine how Location Analytics, as a technology solution and a term, is very rapidly becoming a mainstream concept in IT and GIS.
With examples, what one thought of as specialised tools, such as GIS, are now being ‘democratised’ and embedded in easy-to-use business processes and workflows.
With examples of how this could benefit the property and retail sector, I will examine the main and most important trends in, ‘Geospatial’ and Location Analytics that affect anyone involved in spatial analysis or GIS. These trends really are ‘game changers’ compared with the last 35 years of GIS and Location Technologies and need to be understood to leverage the potential benefits.
1. Cloud GIS – off-premise hosted mapping and location analytics tools. This can dramatically reduce costs and complexity of implementation.
2. ‘Big Data’ – analysing and visualising vast quantities of near real-time data
Location Analytics – the use of, what would have been called GIS technologies, embedded in systems for NON-specialist users.
3. Dynamic (Real-time) Mapping
4. Open Data – Open data from the UK and US for use in business context. This includes postcode data, which is now free to use
5. Mobility – Real-time maps in people’s pockets! with the ability to edit and capture new data
6. Embedding Location – In Processes and integration of Location in enterprise solutions – esp for Asset Management / ERP
7. Location for all – Location Analytics is becoming part of peoples’ jobs as part of a workflow. Typically non-specialist users are now leveraging ‘GIS-like’ technologies without even knowing.