The North Sea is one of the most productive fishing areas
in the world
It contains over 200 species of fish, although just 12 of
these make up over 90% of those caught by fishermen.
Title: Jun 15 20:02 (3 of 16)
Until recently it was thought that the North Sea
was large enough to cope with the amount of fish
It is now know that this is not the case as fish
levels (particularly those of haddock and cod)
have reached record low figures.
Title: Jun 15 20:27 (4 of 16)
Numbers are now so low that it is possible that some
species, like cod, could disappear altogether.
Look at figure 2 on your resource sheet
1. What was the total weight of Cod capable of spawning in 1963?
2. How much had this fallen to by 2003?
3. What does 'sustainable level' mean?
4. Describe the change in Haddock stocks from 1963 to 2003.
Title: Jun 15 20:29 (5 of 16)
The European Union
The EU has the greatest authority in deciding the future of fishing in the North
Sea. It has suggested several ways of dealing with the problems of
For each suggestion write down what you think
Suggestion 1: I think...
Title: Jun 15 20:42 (6 of 16)
1. Place a total ban on the fishing of all species at
risk. This would mainly affect the fishing for cod,
haddock and herring
Title: Jun 15 20:45 (7 of 16)
2. Place a total ban on fishing for cod, as this is
the species at greatest risk
Title: Jun 15 20:47 (8 of 16)
3. Allow fishing with larger netting only. This means
that smaller fish would escape through the nets and
could breed and grow, and therefore help preserve
the species in the long term.
Title: Jun 15 20:50 (9 of 16)
4. Help fishing communities by giving them money to
develop other incomes. In this way they would not be
so dependent upon fishing.
Title: Jun 15 20:55 (10 of 16)
5. Set different allowances for different countries.
Scotland, for example, could be allowed to catch
more fish than the Netherlands, because their
economy is more dependent on fishing.
Title: Jun 15 21:01 (11 of 16)
6. Do nothing. The North Sea has always coped in
the past, and is likely to do so again.
Title: Jun 15 21:05 (12 of 16)
Now look at figures 3 & 4 on your resource
Read through the EU suggestions (figure 3) again
and cross out any that you think are bad ideas.
Now read through the views given in figure 4. All
of these people will be affected in one way or
another by any decisions
Title: Jun 15 21:10 (13 of 16)
1. Who do you have the most sympathy for, and
2. Who do you have no sympathy for and why?
Title: Jun 15 21:12 (14 of 16)
What would you
Title: Jun 15 21:14 (15 of 16)