Pacific world war ii timelinePresentation Transcript
By : Geneva C.
• The United States places an embargo of steel and oil trade on Japan. October of 1940. VS
• December 7, 1941 Japan attacks Pearl Harbor/December 8, 1941 The U.S. declares war on Japan.
• The United States begins fighting Japan in the Philippines, U.S. marines are taken prisoner at Bataan, the U.S. loses to Japan.
• The Battle of Midway - is considered the most important naval battle in the Pacific World War II. Between June 4th & 7th 1942, only six months after Japans attack on Pearl Harbor the United States Navy defeated an Imperial Japanese Navy attack against Midway Atoll, causing large amounts of damage on the Japanese.
• The Battle of Guadalcanal - The Battle of Guadalcanal took place in 1942 when the US Marines landed on August 7th. It took the Americans six months to defeat the Japanese in what was to turn into a classic battle of attrition.
• Battle of Peleliu - was fought between the United States and Japan in the Pacific Theater of World War II from September till November 1944 on the island of Peleliu. First Division Marines and later Army soldiers of the 81st Infantry Division, fought to gain an airstrip on the small coral island.
• Battle of Iwo Jima - a major battle in which the United States fought with japan for the island of Iwo Jima. The U.S. invasion, charged with the mission of capturing three airfields on Iwo Jima, resulted in some of the most violent fighting in the Pacific World War II.
• Battle of Okinawa - was fought on the Ryukyu Islands of Okinawa and was the largest amphibious battle in the Pacific War of World War II. The 82 day long battle lasted from early April until mid-June 1945. The Allies were approaching near Japan, and planned to use Okinawa, a large island near mainland Japan, as an air base to invade the Japanese mainland. Japanese attempts included suicide kamikaze pilots.
• Firebombing of Tokyo - the air raids on Japan by the United States Army Air Forces during the Pacific World War II. The U.S. mounted a small raid on Tokyo in April 1942. Its effects were large in damage & casualties. B-29 raids from those islands began november 17th, 1944 and lasted until august 15th, 1945. The day Japan gave up. Air raid of March 9th – 10th, 1945 was the single most destructive bombing raid in history.
• The Atomic Bombs of Hiroshima and Nagasaki -On August 6th 1945, the United States used a massive, atomic weapon against Hiroshima, Japan. This atomic bomb, the equivalent of 20,000 tons of TNT, flattened the city, killing tens of thousands of civilians. While Japan was still trying to comprehend this devastation three days later, the United States struck again this time on another city, Nagasaki. Nagasa Hiroshima ki