Governments□ Australia □ Finland □ Sweden□ Belgium □ Germany □ Switzerland□ Canada □ Netherlands □ United Kingdom□ Denmark □ Norway □ United States
1. Small Arms Survey 2012
Setting the scene
Quality for Whom? Quality for What?
27 JUNE 2013
• Different aspects of ‘quality standards’ for
– Quality for whom?
– Quality for what?
• Value for money
• Feasibility and usability of observatories in
• Characteristics of a product or service that bear on
its ability to satisfy stated or implied needs
• The standard of something as measured against
other things of a similar kind; the degree of
excellence of something
4. Questions about quality
• Quality of what?
– Data, statistics
• Quality for what?
– What kind of use of the
• Quality for whom?
– Policy makers
– Law enforcement
• Quality for which sector?
– Conflict analysis
– Crime prevention
– Public health
5. Value for Money
• A ‘valuable’ use of resources
• A tool to examine different approaches with
different cost implications (but not aimed at only
identifying the cheapest: quality has costs!)
• A method and way of thinking to assess if
different actions are worthwhile
6. Small Arms Survey 2012