2. Question 1: In what way does your media project use, develop of challenge forms and conventions of real media? Horror Genre: When choosing our genre we put a lot of through into thinking about what the audience would want and what people would want to watch the most. The reason for us choosing the horror genre was at the time we started planning our teaser trailer there was a very big interest in horror films, as films such as paranormal activity had just been released and also with the films such as Blair Witch project out and the popularity that film had it made us realise that that was going to be one of the main choices of genre, for us to finalize that decision we did a questionnaire looking into what the public would want the majority of that wanted to see a horror film. So from that decision we decided that we would make a horror genre and base it around creating tension fright and fear to the audience <ul><li>Horror Conventions : </li></ul><ul><li>In all types of genre there has to be something to tie it all together. So for the horror genre the main links and features you see in all of these films are: </li></ul><ul><li>Blood </li></ul><ul><li>Death </li></ul><ul><li>Killing </li></ul><ul><li>Villain </li></ul><ul><li>Victims </li></ul><ul><li>Haunted houses and isolated settings </li></ul><ul><li>Monsters </li></ul><ul><li>Evil </li></ul>
3. Sub-Genre A sub-genre is: It helps the audience with determines what type of horror film they will be watching. With sub genres there are a lot of different ways that a horror film can be separated into such as, slasher, teen terror, serial killers, satanic, Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. All of these sub genres are different, but there are some similarities between them. The reason for us choosing the sub genre slasher was because at the time there weren’t many of that type of sub genre out as there was plenty of the other types. The slasher genre is defined by stating it is involving someone that is attempting to kill by stalking the main characters and also killing sequences, the use of cutting tools and a lot of violent scenes. The difference between our slasher film and others previously done: If you look at films such as Halloween and Psycho the character that was chosen to be the killer is predominantly male and also a middle age man, however with our teaser trailer we decided to change this around a little by choosing a young girl to play the killer we decided to do this to show that you don’t have to stick to the typical genre that is set, by choosing this we do feel that it will attract a larger audience as it will show a variation and also a mysteriousness of our film that no other creates. The only other film that I can think of that is similar in any way would have to be Childs Play however the character in this film is a doll it is still a child but there are no real features of him being human, where as ours does show realism of the character being human.
4. Teaser Trailer Our Teaser Trailer: When looking into the creation of our teaser trailer we took all of these conventions into consideration so we decided to set our trailer in woods which is a typical setting for a horror film we also decided to show that the main characters were going to either go crazy or die with flashing images of them on the floor or showing distress. We also chose to incorporate the fact there was a killer but that they were being followed which is also a main convention of a horror genre. Another thing we incorporated was to make sure that the setting of the teaser trailer was dark and mysterious by choosing these surroundings it helped people realise that it is going to be a horror genre that we are creating. With choosing the music for the teaser trailer we decided to use non digetic sounds throughout with a use of digetic sounds every now again to show the reality of the horror, however towards the end we chose to add a typical nursery rhyme but by editing the song it creates tension and confusion for the audience. Definition of a Teaser Trailer : A teaser trailer is used to advertise an upcoming movie that could also not even be finished filming yet. They are usually very short no longer that a minute also there is normally not much footage used from the actual film and also it doesn’t have to all be in the correct order as it would show in the film. They are usually released in advance of the actual film being released they also don’t give much away of when the actual film will be released as they normally end with ‘Coming Soon’. If you look at the typical teaser trailer as shown below they don’t give much away and the dark night teaser trailer doesn’t even have any of the footage in from the actual film as you can see bellow by clicking on the image. Where are is you look at the strangers teaser trailer again that doesn’t give much away either but it does however show the characters and give a brief description in what is going to happen you can see this by clicking below .
5. Ancillary Task: By comparing all the posters and magazine covers that we created you can see the comparison throughout each one with all the avatar one’s you can see the three main colours used throughout are blue black and gold and on ours its red black and white. Also the font throughout are all connected.
6. Question 2: How effective is the combination of your main product and the ancillary tasks? Characters: At the end of our teaser trailer you see the shot of the little girl this is one of the longest clips in our whole teaser trailer the fact that it is used at the end and is used through our posters and magazine cover it shows the importance and also connects them together. When the film does get advertised you want to make sure that the poster is connected to the film and also is something that the audience can connect to the film is the characters if they recognize the actors then they will be attracted to the film. By keeping the image throughout it gives the movie a brand image which is important to all films. Colour: Throughout the ancillary tasks we used three main colors of red, white and black these colors are mostly connected to the horror genre. With using the same color throughout it shows a connection between all the ancillary tasks and also helps with the brand image as the colors are also used throughout the teaser trailer. Font: The font that we chose also had to be another choice as the font and the logo will be used throughout the ancillary tasks and also used on the teaser trailer. With the film being called ‘Playtime’ we need to make sure that we used a font that shows that its child like. With the font looking like its dripping and the colour being red it helps show the connection to the film being a horror. Lighting: The use of lighting throughout our projects are all dark as with the film being a horror we needed to make sure that there was a connection throughout. Also with the use of the woods that helps create the spooky lighting as it creates shadows and lighting in obscure ways .
7. Taglines: The main tag line we used was from the children’s rime ‘teddy’s bears picnic’ we chose a tag line from this because with the killer going to be a child we realized we needed something else that was going to show the connection other than the image we also incorporated the image of a teddy bear. The tagline being ‘if you go down in the woods today…’ with also the film being set in the woods we fell there was a lot of connections between the tag line and the film and ancillary tasks. Overall: Throughout the ancillary tasks and the teaser trailer I feel there is a very strong connection as there is the same use of colours and fonts throughout so that shows continuity throughout. Also the darkness of the posters and the darkness of the teaser trailer that also shows continuity and also the connection with the horror genre. With the use of the child and the fact that that is the longest clip on our teaser trailer that shows that there is continuity.
8. Question 3: What have you learnt from your audience feedback? How did I gather my audience feedback? Throughout the project we did various questionnaires the first one we created was for the choice of the genre once we decided on horror and we saw that that was the most popular choice. Then for the final questionnaire we wanted to find out what the audience that we asked what genre to choose what they thought of the final project. I did this by creating more questionnaires and also filming the reaction of the audience that viewed the images. <ul><li>Some of the positives brought forward from the questionnaires are: </li></ul><ul><li>They liked the connection between the girl at the end of the teaser trailer and the use of her again in the ancillary tasks </li></ul><ul><li>They liked the use of the teddy bear as it is not often seen in horror films. </li></ul><ul><li>The use of the low key lighting helps create the dark spooky image. </li></ul><ul><li>The use of the ‘if you go down in the woods today..’ tagline they linked with the connection of the use of the girl straight away and through it was a very cleaver touch to the teaser trailer. </li></ul>
9. <ul><li>Some of the negative’s brought forward from the questionnaires are: </li></ul><ul><li>The portrait poster looks a little boring. As there is only a teddy bear they feel like if there was more on there like the little girl in the background then it would have been perfect </li></ul><ul><li>The little girl could have been used more often throughout. </li></ul><ul><li>Some of the shots go to fast and cant always tell what they are supposed to do or mean. </li></ul>To the right this is a copy of one of the questionnaires that we used. Overall our feed back was mainly positive and we took it all on bored and if we had the opportunity to start all over again we would take it on board and adapt out final project.
10. Question 4: How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages? You Tube: We used you tube throughout our project the use of this was very useful we were able to see various other teaser trailers that are of the same genre and use them to get ideas. We were also able to use YouTube to conect with our final evaluations by doing hyperlinks so this helped us show to you what we were trying to betray and what we were comparing our projects too. Blogger: Blogger is a blog storage service that allows private or multi-user blogs with time-stamped entries. The service is located at www.blogger.com . A blog is a webpage that serves as a publicly accessible personal journal for an individual. Throughout our projects we have been using blogger to show our progress and also for the examiner to see the work that we have created and finalised. Cool Edit: Cool edit is a digital audio editor computer program which feature’s both a multitrack, non-destructive mix/edit environment and a destructive-approach waveform editing view. I used this to edit our own voices and create the part used at the end of our overall teaser trailer. We use it to make our own voices sound more child like by changing the pitch and creating an echo. Last year in our AS projects I didn't use this software so this was something new that I have learnt.
11. Final Cut: To edit our overall teaser trailer we used final cut. Last year we used a more basic version called imovie. So this year we were able to use a more advised software that enabled us to edit and create transitions that we were unable to do previous years such as the camcorder effect that was used throughout of film this was a option in the edit package on final cut which we did find very useful. We were also able to speed up some of the footage that we did use so that we could create a faster and spookier atmosphere. The most enjoyable part i found was the editing in the teaser trailer this was the bit that i did the most on and i found that i enjoyed the ability to adapt the footage. Photoshop: Photoshop is a graphics editing program developed and published by Adobe Systems. It is the current market leader for commercial bitmap and image manipulation software. It has been described as "an industry standard for graphics professionals We mainly used Photoshop for the editing on our ancillary tasks. PowerPoint / Slideshare: My evaluation is in the for of a PowerPoint, with links going to YouTube. Slideshare has allowed me to embed my powerpoint onto my blog. So that it keeps my evaluation in a easy and simple format.