1900-1924Harland Sanders holds a variety of jobs including: farm hand, streetcar conductor, army private in Cuba, blacksmiths helper, rail yard fireman, insurance salesman, tire salesman and service station operator for Standard Oil.
1930In the midst of the depression, Harland Sandersopens his first restaurant in the small front roomof a gas station in Corbin, Kentucky. Sandersserves as station operator, chief cook and cashierand names the dining area "Sanders Court & Café."
1939The Sanders Court &Café is first listed inDuncan Hines"Adventures in GoodEating.“ Fire destroys The Sanders Court & Café, but it is rebuilt and reopened. The pressure cooker is introduced. Soon thereafter Colonel Sanders begins using it to fry his chicken to give customers fresh chicken, faster.
• 1949Birthdate of the Original Sanders marries Recipe Claudia Price
1952The Colonel begins activelyfranchising his chicken business bytraveling from town to town andcooking batches of chicken forrestaurant owners and employees.
1957Kentucky Fried Chickenfirst sold in buckets
1964Kentucky Fried Chicken has more than 600 franchised outlets inthe United States, Canada and the first overseas outlet, inEngland.Sanders sells his interest in the U.S. company for $2 million to agroup of investors headed by John Y. Brown Jr., future governorof Kentucky. The Colonel remains a public spokesman for thecompany.
1969The Kentucky Fried ChickenCorporation is listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
December 16, 1980Colonel Harland Sanders, whocame to symbolize quality in thefood industry, dies after beingstricken with leukemia. Flags on allKentucky state buildings fly at half-staff for four days.
1982Kentucky Fried Chicken becomes asubsidiary of R.J. ReynoldsIndustries, Inc. (now RJR Nabisco,Inc.) when Heublein, Inc. isacquired by Reynolds.
1997PepsiCo, Inc. announces the spin-off of its quick service restaurants -KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut - intoTricon Global Restaurants, Inc.
2002Tricon Global Restaurants, Inc., the worldslargest restaurant company, changes itscorporate name to YUM! Brands, Inc. Inaddition to KFC, the company owns A&W® All-American Food® Restaurants, Long JohnSilvers®, Pizza Hut® and Taco Bell®restaurants.
2008The Colonel has a new look! KFCupdates one of the mostrecognized, respected and belovedbrand icons with a new logo.
PricePrice is the any amount of money that customers have to pay while purchasing the product. More broadly, price is the sum of all the values that consumers exchange for benefits of having or using the product or services.
Promotion• Promotion is the method used to inform and educate the chosen target audience about the organization and its products. Using all the resources of promotion: • Advertising • Sales Promotion • Public Relations • Events and Experiences • Coupons, Discounts and Bundled packages • an organization finds most of its meanings and survival through promotion.
• At KFC, Promotion is the main tool to bring all chicken lovers attention towards its delicious one-of-a-kind.
Target Areas• Free home delivery - They provide free home delivery to offices & homes• Accessibility – Resulting in several outlets to cater to the needs of people in & around the city.
• • Hectic lifestyle – Due to the hectic lifestyle of office goings individuals the fast food concept saves time of preparing food and gives the customer a full meal quickly.• • Economically convenient – The pricing
Product• Anything that can be offered to a market to satisfy a want or need. KFC’s specialty is fried chicken served in various forms. KFC’s primary product is pressure-fried pieces of chicken made with the original recipe. The other chicken offering, extra crispy, is made using a garlic marinade and double dipping the chicken in flour before deep frying in a standard industrial kitchen type machine.
Chicken• Original Recipe -Its what made Colonel Sanders and KFC famous. He developed the secret formula of 11 herbs and spices in the 1930s in Corbin, Kentucky, and it still defines the irresistible flavour of KFC today.
• Wings -there meaty chicken wings pieces are lightly breaded in our special seasonings and fried to crispy perfection. Theyre great for lunch, dinner, or even while youre tailgating before the big game.
• Extra Crispy - This is for anyone who believes that the crunchier and crispier their chicken is, the better. KFCs Extra Crispy chicken is freshly prepared with a flaky breading and then fried to a crispy golden brown. Youll even hear the crunch as you bite through the crusty coating and get to the mouth-watering, tender, juicy chicken.
KFC famous bowls• Mashed Potato bowl -a generous serving of our creamy mashed potatoes, layered with sweet corn and loaded with bite-sized pieces of crispy chicken.
• Rice Bowl -This bowl is freshly prepared with layers of your KFC favourites, including a generous serving of seasoned rice, sweet kernel corn and bite-sized pieces of all-white meat crispy chicken.
• Chicken and Biscuit Bowl - Our new bowl is a blend of mouth-watering KFC flavours and textures all layered together. We start with our signature mashed potatoes layered with sweet kernel corn and loaded with bite-size pieces of crispy chicken.
Sandwiches• KFC Snacker - This is one of our most popular sandwiches. Its an all white meat chicken strip double-breaded for extra crispy crunch and the Colonels signature sauce, served on a warm sesame seed bun.
• Double Down - The new KFC Double Down sandwich is real. This one-of-a-kind sandwich features two thick and juicy boneless white meat chicken filets (Original Recipe), two pieces of bacon, two melted slices of Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese and Colonels Sauce.
DESSERTS• Double Chocolate chip cake -chocolate cake, drizzled with white icing.
• Little Bucket Parfaits -Available in four flavours: Fudge Brownie, Chocolate Crème, Lemon Crème and Strawberry Shortcake
SIDE DISH• Mash Potatoes and Gravy -Whipped Mashed Potatoes with delicious brown Gravy. They go together like the Colonel and KFC.
• Cole slaw - We take cabbage, carrots, and onions and mix in a delicious dressing for a freshly prepared side that tastes good with any dish.
Demographic segmentation• Age 6 to 65• Gender: both male and female• Family size 1-2, 3-4, 5+
Psychographic segmentation• Upper and Middle Class• Lifestyle not specific• Personality: Ambitious and Authoritarian
Geographic segmentation• Urban areas• Sub urban areas• KFC has outlets internationally and sells its products according to geographic needs of the customer
SWOT Analysis(Strength, Weakness, Opportunity and Threat) Kentucky Fried Chicken
Strength• Brand Equity• Ranks highest among all chicken restaurant• Name recognition and reputation.• Strong trademark recipe• Very strong internationally• Constant improvement of chicken• Market leader in chicken foods for 50 years
• It has a strong distribution network such as outlets in shopping malls, airports, etc
Weakness• Inflexibility of prices makes it unaffordable to lower class• Unable to work out for their original ideas• The many sales of KFC lead to a confusing corporate direction.• Unable to maintain sanitation and quality standards• Lack of knowledge of their customers
• Mergers with different corporations resulted in big cultural problem for KFC• Lacks focus on R & D.
Opportunity• Changing demographic trends provides opportunity to diversify into new products and locations.• Consumers are becoming health-conscious• Increasing demand for foodstuff eaten outside the home• Increasing demand for foodstuff eaten outside the home
Threats• Animal Cruelty• Health trend• Changing customer demands• Less variety of products a threat to the company• High rates may cause the customer to shift• Increasing number of health conscious consumers
• To sustain a market leadership position in the global fast-food industry• maintaining same standards at their international franchises• facing strong competition from its competitors, such as McDonalds, Yum and Subway.
McDonalds Corporation is the world’s largest chain ofhamburger fast food restaurant, serving around 68 millioncustomers daily in 119 countries. Head quartered in the US,the company began in 1940 as a barbeque restaurantoperated by Richard and Maurice McDonald. A McDonaldsrestaurant is operated by franchise, an affiliate, or thecorporation itself.
Jollibee is an American-style fast-food restaurant with Filipino-influenced dishes specializing in burgers, spaghetti, chicken and somelocal Filipino dishes. In the Philippines, Jollibee serves Coca-Cola products for its beverages; in overseas markets, the chainserves Pepsi products.Currently the largest fast-food chain in the country, it also haslocations in the United States, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong,Vietnam, Indonesia, United Arab Emirates and Brunei.
Mang Inasal is the Philippines fastest growing barbeque fast foodchain, serving chicken, pork barbeque and other Filipino favorites, wasfirst established on December 12, 2003 in Iloilo City.Currently, there are 445 branches nationwide and with over 10,000employees system wide. MANG INASAL is doing its share in alleviatingthe unemployment burden of the country. The presence of every MANGINASAL in a certain area provides not only employment but alsoopportunities to community members including suppliers of calamansi,charcoal, banana leaves, vegetables, bamboo sticks, and otheringredients.