Innovation And Education Bringing The Inner City Into The 21st CenturyPresentation Transcript
the Inner City into
the 21st Century
Josette Bonafino, Moderator
Executive Director of MYX: Multicultural Youth eXchange
Co-President and COO, Philadelphia Youth Network
Public Affairs Specialist, State Farm
Program Manager, Charter Education Grant, School District of Philadelphia
Desiree Booker (aka Myrikal)
High School Student, Performer,
MYX: Multicultural Youth
innovations in education
Bringing the Inner City
into the 21st Century
Co-President and COO
Philadelphia Youth Network
Public Affairs Specialist
Charter Education Grant
School District of Philadelphia
The School District of
What is Character Education?
• Instilling virtues, values, behaviors and
• Positively effecting student’s ability to
make best possible moral choices
Character Education and U.S.
Department of Education
• Funding increased dramatically during
President Bush’s administration (FY 2001)
• Goal: Build safe schools and strong
• Supported in the Office of Safe and Drug
Free Schools-award federal grants across
Character Education and
The School District of Philadelphia
Awarded two Partnerships in Character
Education Grants: FY 2002-2006, FY
Targets specific regions, schools,
classrooms for participation
• K-8 classrooms implement character
education/service learning projects-currently 93
k-8 teachers involved from forty-one schools
• 10 District high schools implement senior project
program graduation requirement for all seniors
Character Education connection to
Team building in classroom
Emphasis on character traits through literature
and community interactions
Service-learning project as the “application”
and real world application
k-8 character education/
Communication and research skills
Connecting with the community and organizations
Reading, writing and presentation skills
Caring, responsibility, respect
Service to others
Skills Learned through Senior
• Thesis focused research paper writing
• Presentation skills
• “Soft Skills”-creativity, time management,
patience, persistence, etc
Future of Program
• Funding for Partnerships in Character
Education Program cut in FY 2009 budget
Character Education will be folded into new
student engagement initiative for U.S.
Department of Education (TBA)
Future of Program in District?
• $500,000 annual grant budget will end
June 30, 2010
• Learn and Serve funds may continue
• Potential connection to Dr. Ackerman’s
High School Student
A Journey through the Life &
Career of “Myrikal”
Overview of Music Career
• Began rapping at age 10, and composing lyrics at 12. Started with
• Over 150 performances throughout tri-state.
• Won Amateur Night at Apollo
• AMTC Millie Lewis competition in Florida: 2nd place
singer/songwriter. 1st place creative runway. 900 contestants.
• Opened up for Chaka Khan & Musiq Soulchild at N2N Annual
• Anti-Violence youth advocate/ motivational speaker. Invited to speak
at schools, churches, seminars, and youth programs.
• Recorded a song demo at age 12; Released my 1st album at 14
entitled “The Evolution of a Revolution, Myrikal”.
• …and the list goes on.
What do I advocate?
What influences me?
• Community/ youth/ peers
• My preceding successors
• My teachers and music colleagues
• My Lord and Savior
And ultimately… My Mama
The Power of music & art
• Universal Language
• It can have a large influence on how we
think, feel, and live. Ex. John Mayer vs.
• MYX 2009 Audio Arts program
• MUSIC MOVES ME
Looking into the future
• Continue to pursue my music
• Finish my 2nd album
• 4 year college degree/ Law school
• High hopes of becoming a District Attorney
Please complete the survey being
distributed by the volunteers.
Surveys may be returned to the
volunteers or at the Registration
Desk in Ballroom A.