1. Social Media Tools for the Real-Time Web 1.27.09
2. AGENDA <ul><li>Discuss and understand social networking behavior (how people make decisions) </li></ul><ul><li>Understand how a new set of behaviors has emerged over the Web </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Scale and efficiency </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Empowered communities </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Limitless storage </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Engagement (buying engine not selling engine) </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>“ Database of intentions”- John Battelle </li></ul></ul><ul><li>Review of social media tools and how they are best used </li></ul><ul><li>Recent examples of the tools in use </li></ul>
3. SOCIAL NETWORKING DEFINED <ul><li>People use social networks to reduce risk in both their personnel and professional lives. [Healthcare, Entertainment, and Vendors] </li></ul><ul><li>Since purchasing decisions involve risk, social networks play a major role in what products are chosen </li></ul><ul><li>Social networking has always been about sharing knowledge - but it lacks efficiency </li></ul>
4. SOCIAL MEDIA DEFINED <ul><li>Social media can be defined as the platforms and tools that make social networking behavior scalable and efficient </li></ul><ul><li>Information and advice about what products to buy is now being given, peer to peer, on a huge scale </li></ul><ul><li>That’s a little scary </li></ul>
5. HOW DID SOCIAL MEDIA CHANGE THE GAME? <ul><li>Allowed for communities to form </li></ul><ul><li>Access to opinion leaders/experts </li></ul><ul><li>Social behavior subverts hierarchy </li></ul><ul><li>Gave enormous scale and efficiency </li></ul><ul><li>Search (anonymous researcher) </li></ul><ul><li>Made brand experience more meaningful </li></ul>
6. TOOL FAMILY: BLOGS Blogs Related Tools : WordPress, Blogger, Movable Type, & TypePad Description: Articles are published in reverse chronological order. Posts are organized by categories and tags allow for greater context. The ability to comment gives blogs their social character.
7. TOOL FAMILY: SOCIAL BOOKMARKING Social Bookmarking Related Tools : Del.icio.us, Digg, Furl, Ma.gnolia, StumbleUpon Description: Social Bookmarking is the practice of storing, searching, and managing bookmarks on the Web. Instead or saving bookmarks using folders, we use tags to organize them and share them out in the open.
8. TOOL FAMILY: MICROBLOGS Microblogs Related Tools : Twitter, Yammer, Tumblr Description: Microblogging is a form of blogging that allows people to write short posts, i.e, Twitter’s 140 characters.
9. TOOL FAMILY: VIDEO SHARING Video Sharing Related Tools : YouTube, Vimeo, Ustream.TV, Blip.TV, QIK Description: There are several types of online video . Time shifted videos that are found on YouTube and live streaming video that we see on Ustream.TV and QIK. These services allow you to broadcast live from anywhere that has an Internet connection.
10. TOOL FAMILY: WIDGETS Widgets Related Tools : Clearspring, WidgetBox, Last.FM, Gigya Description: Widgets are chunks of code that are embedded into Web sites allowing for live and interactive content such as polls and slideshows. They are popular with blogs and social networking Web sites because they are portable, social, and easily shared throughout the network.
11. FRAMEWORK <ul><li>Strategic Decision Framework </li></ul><ul><li>1. Can I leverage and empower existing communities? </li></ul><ul><li>2. Can I engage, identify, or become an opinion leader? </li></ul><ul><li>Can I scale the distribution of my message? </li></ul><ul><li>Can I perform market research and sentiment research? </li></ul><ul><li>[Blogs, Social Bookmarks, Online Video, Microblogs, & Widgets] </li></ul>
12. QUESTIONS Questions?
13. THANK YOU Page Sands Director of Social Media [email_address] 410-327-0007 x 1240