The GIS Management Institute® and the GIS Capability Maturity Model
- 307 views
Enterprise GIS is expensive to develop, maintain, and operate. Many small to medium sized cities, counties and regional agencies have invested millions of dollars to develop their GIS, with annual ...
Enterprise GIS is expensive to develop, maintain, and operate. Many small to medium sized cities, counties and regional agencies have invested millions of dollars to develop their GIS, with annual GIS operating budgets in excess of $250,000.
However, almost no GIS operation would be considered to be 100% implemented. In fact, most enterprise GIS operations lack important resources to meet all of their potential business needs, the sustainability of many of these programs is uncertain, and the return on investment (ROI) for these agencies is variable - depending on the maturity of their GIS management.
In 2009 I developed the proposed Municipal GIS Capability Maturity Model (GISCMM). That year various cities and counties in Washington State conducted self-assessments against the GISCMM. After the results were presented at the 2009 URISA Annual Conference, URISA agreed to adopt the GISCMM.
This webinar describes the URISA-led initiative to use the GISCMM as a key component of the new GIS Management Institute. The GISCMM was updated and published by URISA in 2013. This update was based on:
• Input from a 2011 Washington GIS Conference – GIS Managers Task Force
• A review of the new URISA Geospatial Management Competency Model (GMCM)
• A review and revision cycle conducted by the GIS Management Institute® Committee
• And finally, input from a public peer-review cycle
The newly revised URISA GISCMM will be described, along with its relationship to the GIS Management Institute®, including development of the GIS Management Body of Knowledge. The current development status of the GISCMM will be discussed and future uses and activities outlined. These will include development of new GIS management best practices and the offering of an enterprise GIS accreditation service.
This presentation will be of value to those interested in the development and implementation of GIS management professional standards and best practices.
• What is a capability maturity model?
• Origins of the GIS Capability Maturity Model
• URISA steps in
• The URISA Geospatial Management Competency Model
• Babinski’s Theory of GIS Management
• Development of the revised, peer-reviewed URISA GIS Capability Maturity Model
• The URISA GIS Capability Maturity Model – Step by Step
• The pivotal role of the GIS CMM in the GIS Management Institute®
• The role of the GIS Management Institute® in enhancing sustainable Enterprise GIS
• The role of the GIS Management Institute® in developing professional GIS managers
• The GIS Management Institute® next steps
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views