This session was meant to introduce the force.com Mobile SDK to all attendees of the Jaipur Developer User Group. This was a part of the global Salesforce Mobile Dev Week -
This session was meant to introduce the force.com Mobile SDK to all attendees of the Jaipur Developer User Group. This was a part of the global Salesforce Mobile Dev Week - http://www2.developerforce.com/mobile/developer-week
2. Safe harborSafe harbor statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995:This presentation may contain forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties, and assumptions. If anysuch uncertainties materialize or if any of the assumptions proves incorrect, the results of salesforce.com, inc. coulddiffer materially from the results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements we make. All statementsother than statements of historical fact could be deemed forward-looking, including any projections of product orservice availability, subscriber growth, earnings, revenues, or other financial items and any statements regardingstrategies or plans of management for future operations, statements of belief, any statements concerning new,planned, or upgraded services or technology developments and customer contracts or use of our services.The risks and uncertainties referred to above include – but are not limited to – risks associated with developing anddelivering new functionality for our service, new products and services, our new business model, our past operatinglosses, possible fluctuations in our operating results and rate of growth, interruptions or delays in our Web hosting,breach of our security measures, the outcome of intellectual property and other litigation, risks associated withpossible mergers and acquisitions, the immature market in which we operate, our relatively limited operating history,our ability to expand, retain, and motivate our employees and manage our growth, new releases of our service andsuccessful customer deployment, our limited history reselling non-salesforce.com products, and utilization and sellingto larger enterprise customers. Further information on potential factors that could affect the financial results ofsalesforce.com, inc. is included in our annual report on Form 10-Q for the most recent fiscal quarter ended July 31,2012. This documents and others containing important disclosures are available on the SEC Filings section of theInvestor Information section of our Web site.Any unreleased services or features referenced in this or other presentations, press releases or public statements arenot currently available and may not be delivered on time or at all. Customers who purchase our services should makethe purchase decisions based upon features that are currently available. Salesforce.com, inc. assumes no obligationand does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
5. Intro• Engineering Post Graduate from BITS, Pilani (Not everybodydrops out J)• Mobile + Web Developer With 13 Years of IndustryExperience (I’m getting old L)• Started my journey with the ‘Ultimate Killer Mobile App’ (Anyguesses?)• Speaker at Dreamforce 2012, Droidcon 2011 and 2012 andseveral Mobile Monday events• Keen Interest in Cross-Platform Frameworks such asTitanium, PhoneGap, Sencha Touch and others
6. Why Mobile?Source: Gartner Research; Smartphone, Tablet, and PC Forecast, December 2010.
7. We’re Living in the Post-PC EraiPhone Revenue – Q1 ’12$24.42 billionTOTAL Microsoft Revenue – Q2 12$20.89 billion>
8. Info Workers Use Many Devices For Work & Personal52% of information workers use 3 or more devices60% of these devices are used for both work and personal useSource: Forrester Blogs: Why Tablets Will Become Our Primary Computing Device, Frank Gillett, April 23, 2012
11. force.com Mobile SDK (iOS) – Installation$ git clonehttps://github.com/forcedotcom/SalesforceMobileSDK-iOS.git$ cd SalesforceMobileSDK-iOS$ ./install.sh
12. force.com Mobile SDK - oAuthRemoteApplicationForce.comPlatformSends App CredentialsUser logs in Token sent toCallbackConfirms tokenSend access tokenMaintain session withrefresh token
13. force.com Mobile SDK - oAuth
14. force.com Mobile SDK - CRUD
16. Why not Hybrid?• May not be as fast as native apps• Limited support for multi-touch gestures• Cannot do advanced graphics like WebGL
18. Hybrid - PhoneGap or Cordova?• Cordova is an Apache Open Source project• PhoneGap is a distribution of Cordova distributed by Adobe• Currently, PhoneGap and Cordova are one and the same• Mobile SDK uses Cordova