From Joe: SLIDE 1 What we’ll cover today The world we likely share with you Who are we & what we do Benefits of our service How we deliver quality care with teleneurology Our client experience How we cost you nothing Next steps & moving forward From Elliott – Remove Our Mission. Remove the small brain symbols. Use bullets. Add “What do we do” under Who are we Replace How we ….with “The Process of Delivering Quality Care Through Tele-Neurology” Add “Our Clients Experience: after “how we…” BUILD EACH POINT.
Summary of Discussion – Sample Graphic
1. March 16, 2012
2. Heather M. Linn, MDBoard Certified NeurologistUniversity of Texas Medical BranchClinical Neurophysiology Fellow, Baylor College of MedicineCurrently a full time Teleneurologist for Specialists On Call
3. • Provide 24/7 neurology on-call, now psychiatry on-demand to more than 180 hospitals in 21 states• Support emergency departments, hospitalists, ICU’s• Heavy emphasis on quality: – Doctors - over 55 neurologists – Practices, processes & protocols – 15 minute guaranteed response – Technology – FDA approved, encrypted and HIPAA Compliant – Joint Commission Accredited - since May 2006• Unique business offering and pricing model for hospital clients• 3 of the top ten university neurology departments in U.S. collaborate with & take call for SOC• More emergency neurology consultations than any traditional provider, >40K• More acute stroke consultations than any tertiary institution• More tPA administered than any institution worldwide (2X)•
4. Cost, quality, patient satisfaction all suffer in the absence of effectiveon-call coverage Stipends are growing as a burden to systems Underserved no longer means just ‘rural’ Demand for specialty consults is increasing Specialty physician shortage is increasing Call coverage is increasingly punitive & undesirable
5. Teleneurology is the delivery of remote consultative servicesfor any neurologic emergency via a telemedicine platform thatincludes the following:• 100% Secure Network with Dual Redundancy• High Definition Video End Points with Stereo Audio• PACS• EMR• 24/7/365 Live Technical Support• Operational Support (scheduling, licensing & credentialing)• Strict Clinical Protocols• Dedicated Team of Neurologists• Attractive Physician Compensation
6. Teleneurology is clinically effective and viable as a servicebecause it’s comprehensive.Telestroke is an empty proposition due to its limitations.• It doesn’t answer the question “Is this a stroke?” and telestroke protocols are typically for established stroke patients.• It fails to relieve the need for local neurology on-call coverage.• It’s employed primarily as a referral-grabbing tool.
7. Annual Clinical Recommendation ProfileNon Stroke Neurologic Non-tPA Stroke or TIAtPA Recommendation ICH Recommendation 6% 3% 32% 59%
9. • Allows hospitals to treat stroke patients with confidence & clinical consistency• Eliminates EMS diversions• Reduces unnecessary patient transfers• Satisfies staffing requirement for Primary Stroke Center certification• Supports ER staff & improves department efficiency• Provides a competitive advantage in local marketplace• Relieves the burden of on-call coverage for local neurologists• Serves as a recruiting advantage for physicians
10. Why Georgia remains a member of the “Stroke Belt”• 9,829,000 total state population• 21% of state population is over 55 years old• 29% of state population have known stroke risk factors• 53% stroke mortality rate• 22 Primary Stroke Centers• 343 neurologists in state• 28,656 to 1 ratio of patients to neurologists* Figures provided by US Census Bureau, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Obesity Report, American Stroke Association, SK&A Specialty report
11. How to implement a successful Teleneurology program:• Don’t get caught up in the technology – the equipment is secondary to the clinical care being imported• It’s not a “Do It Yourself” project – a successful teleneurology program takes resources, infrastructure and dedicated physicians• Establish your goals & communicate them to all stakeholders• Make sure local neurologists are on board with the program• Market your new teleneurology capabilities in your community
12. • Opportunity to treat the patients who need help the most• Part of an innovative company that’s expanding medicine’s overall reach & effectiveness• Member of an exceptional physician team that is defining the very highest clinical standards possible for teleneurology• Enjoy work/home balance