2. Android, Inc. was founded in Palo Alto, California, United States in October 2003 by Andy Rubin (co- founder of Danger), Rich Miner (co- founder of Wildfire Communications, Inc.), Nick Sears(once VP at T-Mobile), and Chris White (headed design and interface development at WebTV)
3. Android is a LINUX-basedOPERATING SYSTEM for mobiledevices such as SMARTPHONES and TABLET COMPIUTERS, developed by GOOGLE in conjunction with the OPEN HANDSET ALLIANCE
4. The first Android-poweredsmartphones were sold in Q12009, and has since grown to become the biggest smartphone operating system
5. Android was initially developed by AndroidInc, whom Google financiallybacked and later purchased in 2005
6. The unveiling of the Android distribution in 2007 was announced with the foundingof the Open Handset Alliance,a consortium of 86 Hardware, software andtelecommunication companies devoted to advancing Open standards for mobile devices.[
7. Google releases the Android code as open source, under the Apache License.
8. The ANDROID OPEN SOURCEPROJECT (AOSP) is tasked withthe maintenance and further development of Android
9. Android has a large community of developerswriting applications (“apps") that extend thefunctionality of the devices.Developers write primarily ina customized version of JAVA
10. and apps can be downloaded from online stores such as GooGLE PLAY (formerly Android Market), the appstore run by Google, or third- party sites
11. In June 2012, there were more than 600,000 apps available for Android
12. and the estimated number of applications downloaded from Google Play was 20 billion.
13. Android became the worlds leading smartphoneplatform at the end of 2010.
14. For the first quarter of 2012, Android had a 59%smartphone market share worldwide
15. As of third quarter 2012, there were 480 million devices activated and 1.3million activations per day.