Reflect: Reflect is a free service that tags gene, protein, and small molecule names in any web page within a few seconds. Clicking on a tagged term opens a small popup showing summary information, as shown below. Reflect can be installed as a plugin to Firefox or Internet Explorer, or can used by entering a URL in the field above.Reflect was first-prize winner out of over 70 submissions in the Elsevier Grand Challenge, an international competition for systems that improve the way scientific information is communicated and used.
Intro to sciverse december 2010
Introduction to SciVerse
Account Development Manager
(631) 673 2809
What is SciVerse?
•Integrated Content & Discovery Tools
SciVerse empowers the research community to accelerate science
by opening ScienceDirect & Scopus content APIs for third-party
application development, enabling intelligent search and
discovery across integrated content from ScienceDirect, Scopus,
and the scientific web
Platform • Single log-in provides access to all licensed
and free SciVerse products – Hub,
ScienceDirect, and Scopus.
• Increased interoperability and easier
navigation between solutions
• Image Search for full-text articles and
books (e.g. photos, tables, videos)
• Integration of REFLECT, the 2009 Grand
Challenge winner, offers contextual
information on proteins, genes and small
molecules within articles.
• Reference Work Helper links to relevant
reference works on ScienceDirect directly
connected to a selected article
• Author Evaluation tool visualizes author
data to aid collaboration or individual
• Scopus Enhanced Affiliation Profile allows
Administrators to inform and update
Scopus profiling so that there is a clear
hierarchy of relationships between profiles
• One search across a single index of
ScienceDirect, Scopus, and web content
• Three embedded applications for all users
• Methodology section search application
for full text articles
• Sentence matching application efficiently
assesses search results and displays query
words in the full sentences where they
• Prolific author search application finds the
most “prolific authors” publishing articles
about search terms, linking into articles by
that author within Scopus.
• ScienceDirect is Elsevier’s extensive and unique full text database
that covers authoritative titles from the core scientific literature.
• More than nine million full-text articles from 2,500 journals and
11,000 books are available in ScienceDirect, making up 25% of the
world’s STM literature.
• While most scientific information on genes, pathways, diseases,
tissues and compounds is available online, it resides in various,
• As a result, researchers must spend valuable time locating key
information and searching and refining the data to quickly get up to
speed on new and related subject areas, or dive further and learn
more about their field.
Image Search results in
Smart Content Through Collaboration
• ScienceDirect collaborates with 3rd party providers to further
• Partnership with NextBio has enhanced ScienceDirect content in
the fields of life sciences, health sciences and chemistry
• Integration of REFLECT data.
• ScienceDirect and PANGAEA have implemented reciprocal linking
between their respective content in earth system research.
What is NextBio?
NextBio provides a platform
for researchers to search,
discover, and share knowledge
across public and proprietary
The semantic framework is based
on gene, tissue, disease and
This framework contains
information from multiple
resources that is integrated into
and correlated within a single
searchable environment using
The NextBio platform
heterogeneous data and
textual information in the
fields of life sciences, health
sciences and chemistry.
What is PANGAEA?
• Publishing Network for Geoscientific & Environmental Data
• Information system that is aimed at archiving, publishing and
distributing georeferenced data from earth system research
• Now, each article on ScienceDirect with a corresponding data set in
PANGAEA displays a prominent link directly to that data.
• This puts the data into context with the primary literature, and
greatly increases its discoverability by embedding it at the right point
in the knowledge discovery process.
Science Direct App
Researchers are able to:
• Access all the full text SciVerse
• Search for ScienceDirect articles
(by Keyword, Author or Journal).
• Save articles for offline viewing.
• Share articles with colleagues