1. Viewing ContextThe film will be showcased in a multiplex cinema this could include vue, cine world and showcase cinema’s. The film will then be world wide allowing a variety of people to see the film in different areas around the world. Once shown in cinemas the film will then come out on to DVD and blue ray. Then depending on the interest of the film it will be available on sky.The film will be produced by F.u.ture productions which are big institution similar Warner Brothers and Universal Studios the budget of the film will be £110,000,000.
2. GenreThe genre for our film is going to be a thriller yet there are going to besub genres within this which will be ‘psychological’ and ‘supernatural’. Inorder to achieve an opening with horror elements we shall put in theopening supernatural goings on which will lead to psychological terror.The chose on these sub-genres we think are unique as they are not donevery often and we wanted to create something different. We also feelthat they our film could offer a wide audience, due to research we haveseen other supernatural/psychological thriller films such as ‘The others’were very successful. The fact that the film has multiple subgenresmeans that it is more likely to be enjoyed by both genders
3. StyleOur film opening will use elements of mise-en-scene which include of props, costumes and lighting. The set will be outside an old house, inside the old house and the use of a car will also be involved. Through research I found that most realistic settings tend to scare people more . There will only be a few props throughout the opening for example the doll that will be used in the last shot to symbolise the little girl’s innocence. The clothing the characters are going to wear will be ordinary as a factor within thriller films is that everything is very realistic. The girl will be dressed in typical bright, sweet clothing whilst the father will be dressed in slightly more dull, mutual colours to hint at the fact he can be dark. At times, such as when we are outside, we will not have much control of the lighting as it all depends on the weather. We would like to have grey skies to create an eerie atmosphere and to try and control this we will look at the weather forecast to try and estimate what the weather will be like. We will also shoot the scene at dusk to get a good effect of the darkness. The lighting inside the house will also be darker however this is easier to control as we can turn lights on and off to create the perfect light.
4. AudienceWe are wanting our film to be suitable for both male and female, wehave picked a story line we think will interest both genders. Within thecasting we have used both genders so that the audience can feel theyhave someone to relate too. Within our research we found that therewere many mixed opinions on whether people enjoyed thrillers or notand we also found that men watched more thriller films in total thanwomen, therefore it may be inevitable that the audience will swaytowards men rather than women. We will be targeting our film atpeople aged 15 and above, and to make sure we stick within the 15certificate guidelines this means not to much context will be revealedwithin the film.
5. AimWe found that within thrillers, people like elements of the ordinary with factors of scare which make them feel uncomfortable. We have taken this on board and set our film opening at an ordinary house however we have added in factors that will thrill the audience and make them feel uncomfortable. This should hopefully lead to the fact that we are making them feel uncomfortable in somewhere they should feel safe. Other aims include as raising enigmas and confusing the audience.
6. Narrative ElementsMain plot ; The plot will be based on a little girl who is being possessed by her mother who was murdered by her father, she will not stop until he is punished. Throughout the film, clues will gradually begin to reveal the truth. We ideally would like an enigma within the opening so that the audience are trying to work out who the girl is being possed by and why.Characters ; Only two characters will be introduced within the opening of our film. The little girl, who is ordinary, cute and innocent, we used her as a symbol of innocence and purity and within the film her character will completely change showing the possession taking place.The father, who is supposed to be a sense of security for the little girl, turns out to be a murderer which then creates a sense of fear for the little girl. The grandmother is an added character who loves the little girl as she is the only thing she has left of her daughter. She has suspicions towards the father which is causing strain and tension in their relationship
7. Non-Diegetic MaterialFor our opening we will only be using non-diegetic music for the title sequence. We feel this will benefit the production as using non-diegetic throughout the rest of the opening will ruin the ordinary/ realistic effect and create a whole different atmosphere. For our title sequence we are planning on having eerie music to contrast to the titles and to give the ambience of our piece.
8. LogisticsFor our location we are using an old house. The whole group will drive here together in the car that we will also use as the car in our opening scene. The people we will be using to shoot the opening will be Lilly Burrell and Keith Townsend.