3. NewHabits-NewGoals Purpose: To introduce you to some of the essential tools to develop time management systems for the rest of your career. To discover what it would be like to have a commitment to the mastery of time management
4. Agenda <ul><li>Exploring your time management system </li></ul><ul><li>Learning the elements </li></ul><ul><li>Design! </li></ul>NewHabits-NewGoals
5. What do you have coming your way now? NewHabits-NewGoals
6. What is a “Time Management System?” Where did yours come from? NewHabits-NewGoals
8. NewHabits-NewGoals What are you trying to accomplish with your current time management system?
9. Possible Answers <ul><li>Sense of personal achievement / growth </li></ul><ul><li>Peace of mind </li></ul><ul><li>My family gets more of ME </li></ul><ul><li>Fitter, faster, stronger </li></ul><ul><li>Promotion at work (projects, positions) </li></ul>NewHabits-NewGoals
10. Survey NewHabits-NewGoals
11. NewHabits-NewGoals Today’s Tools…
12. NewHabits-NewGoals Here Today Coming Tomorrow
13. Current Research <ul><li>Between 1950 and 2000 human knowledge doubled </li></ul><ul><li>Scientific information doubles every 5 years </li></ul><ul><li>The Sunday New York Times contains the same amount of information as someone living in 1750 saw in a lifetime </li></ul><ul><li>Internet traffic doubles every 100 days </li></ul>NewHabits-NewGoals
29. NewHabits-NewGoals Tossing Call to join club Rent video Order Chinese food Watch late show on Wed. Buy new socks
30. NewHabits-NewGoals Acting Now
31. NewHabits-NewGoals Storing
32. NewHabits-NewGoals Scheduling
33. NewHabits-NewGoals Listing
34. NewHabits-NewGoals Let’s Design!
35. NewHabits-NewGoals Capturing
36. NewHabits-NewGoals Capture Points
37. Component #1 - Capturing NewHabits-NewGoals Are you using your memory? Do you have many or few capture points? Novice / White Belts Rely on memory, random bits of paper and up to many Inboxes / Voice mailboxes Yellow Belts Use memory, plus specific paper and a handful of Inboxes / Voice mailboxes Orange Belts Very little memory, plus paper that is part of a set of pads or other systems. There is little consolidation. Green Belts Never rely on memory, and use reliable capture points all the time. One is always available, and the number is kept to a minimum
38. Find the Smallest, Physical Habit to Change NewHabits-NewGoals
42. NewHabits-NewGoals Emptying
43. Component #2 - Emptying NewHabits-NewGoals Are Your Capture Points empty most of the time? Novice / White Belts Rely on memory to take actions performed at random times. Inboxes and Voice mailboxes are overflowing Yellow Belts Have many bits and pieces of information that are disorganized and overwhelming in bags, on PC screens, in inboxes, in piles etc. May read email but never empty inboxes. Tend to launch kamikaze weekends to try to get organized Orange Belts Work with very few Capture points and empty them once they become overfull. Items may spend several days in a Capture Point before being dealt with, which sometime leads to problems. Green Belts Have the absolute minimum number of Capture points which never become full because they are emptied on a schedule. At most times they are actually empty. Emptying has become a habit.
44. NewHabits-NewGoals Scheduling
45. Component #6 – Scheduling NewHabits-NewGoals Is your schedule being used to manage time demands reliably? Novice / White Belts Either use no calendar or use an appointment calendar to schedule only major meetings. They have a meeting horizon of 30 days or less as they use their memory to attempt to manage their time. Yellow Belts Use a paper-based or electronic calendar to schedule a few activities of a personal and business nature. They may have several calendars. Orange Belts Use an electronic system that has activities created from Capture Points on a regular basis. They often have too many items scheduled on a given day, and underestimate the length of time activities take, but they are scheduling personal appointments as well as meetings in their calendar Green Belts Use their calendar to plan the majority of actions in each day with ample time between time demands. The schedule is completely portable.
47. NewHabits-NewGoals A Typical Appointment Diary – White Belt
48. NewHabits-NewGoals A Typical Appointment Diary - White