1. In Loving Memory Of the first Black Sciencetist
2. Benjamin Banneker
3. Benjamin Banneker was born November 9,1731 in Maryland
4. Benjamin’s grandfather was a slave
5. As Benjamin got older he got in astronmy
6. From his drawings Banneker then proceeded to carve, out of wood, enlarged replicas of each part. Calculating the proper number of teeth for each gear and the necessary relationships between the gears, he constructed a working wooden clock that kept accurate time and struck the hours for over 50 years.