1. How far are we ready to go?
IMMI & the global transparency movement
2. “Given enough eyeballs…”
The Nordics’ gift to democracy
3. Approaches to transparency
• Top-down vs. Bottom-up
– Promises & limits of open gov, open data, FOI, etc.
– Anon, WL, WikiCong, Tor, i2p, etc.
• The West vs. The REST
– Issues with #netfreedom & #tech4transparency
• The 3rd wave & IMMI
– Basic set of principles that can be used as a
– Parliaments & grassroots
4. The transparency shockwave
• Brunner, Gibson, Stephenson & us.
• Then came…
– … the collapse
– … a meeting in Iceland
– … IMMI: “Iceland will become the inverse of a tax
• “Democratizing democracy” through freedom
5. 36 (+9) reasons not to open the data
6. The new cold war (us, uk, ca, au…)
7. Secrecy vs. Transparency
• “Tax haven’s aim is to make everything
opaque. Our aim it to make everything
transparent.” (Birgitta Jónsdóttir )
• Norway: tax returns posted online
• Sweden: Freedom of Information law
• Finland: Broadband law
• Iceland: IMMI
8. IMMI 2.0: International Modern
• Italy, Scotland, South Africa, etc.
• What about the Nordic countries?
• My proposal: Dec. 2nd is already "Freedom of
Information Day” in Finland & Sweden
• Why not use that day to hold IMMI workshops
in all Nordic countries? (with participation of
network of like-minded organizations)
• Dec.1 (Reykjavik) to Dec.27-30 (Berlin)