1. Bharti Airtel From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia BhartiType Public companyTraded as BSE: 532454NSE: BHARTIARTL BSE SENSEX ConstituentIndustry TelecommunicationsFounded 7 July 1995Founder(s) Sunil Bharti MittalHeadquarters New Delhi, IndiaArea served South Asia, Africa and the Channel IslandsKey people Sunil Bharti Mittal (Chairman) and (MD)Products Fixedline Telephony Mobile Telephony Broadband Internet Digital Television IT services
2. Revenue 416.03 billion (US$7.53 billion)(2012) Profit 57.3 billion (US$1.04 billion)(2012) Total assets 1,007.85 billion (US$18.24 billion)(2011) Employees 20,675 (December 2011) Parent Bharti Enterprises (52.7%) SingTel (15.57%) Vodafone (4.4%) Subsidiaries Airtel Africa Airtel Digital TV Airtel Sri Lanka Airtel Bangla Website www.airtel.comBharti Airtel Limited (NSE: BHARTIARTL, BSE: 532454), commonly knownasAirtel, is an Indian telecommunications company that operates in 20 countriesacross South Asia, Africa and the Channel Islands. It operates a GSM network inall countries, providing 2G, 3G and 4G services depending upon the country ofoperation. Airtel is the worlds third-largest mobile telecommunicationscompany with over 246 million subscribers across 20 countries as of March2012. It is the largest cellular service provider in India, with over 187.30 millionsubscribers at the end of June 2012. Airtel is the third largest in-country mobileoperator by subscriber base, behindChina Mobile and China Unicom.
3. Airtel is the largest provider of mobile telephony and second largest providerof fixed telephony in India, and is also a provider of broadband and subscriptiontelevisionservices. It offers its telecom services under the airtel brand, and isheaded by Sunil Bharti Mittal. Bharti Airtel is the first Indian telecom serviceprovider to achieve CiscoGold Certification. It also acts as a carrier for nationaland international long distance communication services. The company has asubmarine cable landing station at Chennai, which connects the submarine cableconnecting Chennai and Singapore.It is known for being the first mobile phone company in the world to outsource allof its business operations except marketing, sales and finance. Its network—basestations, microwave links, etc.—is maintained by Ericsson, Nokia SiemensNetwork andHuawei, and business support is provided by IBM, andtransmission towers are maintained by another company (Bharti Infratel Ltd. inIndia). Ericsson agreed for the first time to be paid by the minute for installationand maintenance of their equipment rather than being paid up front, which allowedAirtel to provide low call rates of 1/minute (US$0.02/minute). During the lastfinancial year (2009–10), Bharti negotiated for its strategic partner Alcatel-Lucent to manage the network infrastructure for the tele-media business. On 31May 2012, Bharti Airtel awarded the three year contract to Alcatel-Lucent forsetting up an Internet Protocol across the country.This would help consumersaccess internet at faster speed and high qualiy internet browsing on mobilehandsets.
4. HistorySunil Bharti Mittal founded the Bharti Group. In 1983, Mittal was in an agreementwith Germanys Siemens to manufacture push-button telephone models for theIndian market. In 1986, Mittal incorporated Bharti Telecom Limited (BTL), andhis company became the first in India to offer push-button telephones, establishingthe basis of Bharti Enterprises. By the early 1990s, Sunil Mittal had also launchedthe countrys first fax machines and its first cordless telephones. In 1992, Mittalwon a bid to build a cellular phone network in Delhi. In 1995, Mittal incorporatedthe cellular operations as Bharti Tele-Ventures and launched service in Delhi. In1996, cellular service was extended to Himachal Pradesh. In 1999, BhartiEnterprises acquired control of JT Holdings, and extended cellular operations toKarnataka and Andhra Pradesh. In 2000, Bharti acquired control of SkycellCommunications, in Chennai. In 2001, the company acquired control of Spice Cellin Calcutta. Bharti Enterprises went public in 2002, and the company was listed onBombay Stock Exchange and National Stock Exchange of India. In 2003, thecellular phone operations were rebranded under the single Airtel brand. In 2004,Bharti acquired control of Hexacom and entered Rajasthan. In 2005, Bhartiextended its network to Andaman and Nicobar. This expansion allowed it to offervoice services all across India. In 2009, Airtel launched its first internationalmobile network in Sri Lanka. In 2010, Airtel acquired the African operations of theKuwait based Zain Telecom.In March 2012,Airtel launched a mobile operation inRwanda.Today, Airtel is the largest cellular service provider in India and the third largest inthe world.Organisational StructureThe organisational structure that existed until recently concentrated on thehierarchy of the operations inside the company as a whole. The structure depictsthe corresponding operation/region of different in-charges and it didnt hold anyoneresponsible for each of its services. So, the company found it better to restructureits organizational chart. The transformed organisational structure will have two
5. distinct Customer Business Units (CBU) with clear focus on B2C (Business toCustomer) and B2B (Business to Business) segments. Bharti Airtels B2C businessunit will comprehensively service the retail consumers, homes and small offices,by combining the erstwhile business units—Mobile, Telemedia, Digital TV, andother emerging businesses (like M-commerce, M-health, M-advertising etc.). TheB2C organization will consist of Consumer Business and Market Operations. It isthe largest telecommunication company in India.Worldwide presenceCoverage map of Bharti Airtel across 20 countriesAirtel is the third largest mobile operator in the world in terms of subscriber baseand has a commercial presence in 20 countries and the Channel Islands.Its area of operations include: The Indian Subcontinent: Airtel Bangla, in Bangladesh Airtel, in India Airtel Sri Lanka, in Sri Lanka Airtel Africa, which operates in 17 African countries: Burkina Faso, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia. The British Crown Dependency islands of Jersey and Guernsey, under the brand name Airtel-Vodafone, through an agreement withVodafone.
6. Airtel operates in the following countries: Country Site Remarks Airtel Airtel Bangladesh had about 5.1 million Bangladesh Bangladesh customers at the end of June 2011. Airtel Burkina Faso is the dominant Airtel Burkina Faso player with 1,433,000 customers Burkina Faso representing 50% market share. Airtel Chad is the #1 operator with 69% Chad Airtel Chad market share. Airtel is the market leader with almost 5 Democratic Republic of the Congo Airtel DRC million customers at the end of 2010. Airtel Gabon has 829,000 customers and Gabon Airtel Gabon its market share stood at 61%. Airtel Ghana had about 1.76 million Ghana Airtel Ghana customers at the end of 2010. Airtel is the market leader with almost India Airtel 152.5 million customers at the end of 2010. Airtel Kenya is the second largest Kenya Airtel Kenya operator and has 4 million customers. Airtel holds second place in the mobile Airtel telecom market in Madagascar, has a Madagascar Madagascar 39% market share and over 1.4 million customers.
7. Airtel Airtel Malawi is the market leader withMalawi Malawi a market share of 72%. Airtel Niger is the market leader with aNiger Airtel Niger 68% market share. AirtelNigeria Nigeria Airtel Congo Airtel Congo is the market leader with aRepublic of the Congo B 55% market share. Airtel Airtel launched services in Rwanda onRwanda Rwanda 30 March 2012. Airtel is the leading comprehensive Airtel telecommunications services providersSeychelles Seychelles with over 55% market share of mobile market in Seychelles. Airtel SierraSierra Leone Leone Airtel Sri Lanka commenced operations Airtel Sri on 12 January 2009. It had aboutSri Lanka Lanka 1.8 million mobile customers at the end of 2010. Airtel Airtel Tanzania is the market leaderTanzania Tanzania with a 38% market share. Airtel Airtel Uganda stands as the #2 operatorUganda Uganda with a market share of 38%.
8. Airtel Zambia ZambiaChannel Islands : Jersey and Airtel operates in the Channel Islands Airtel under the brand name Airtel–Vodafone Vodafone Guernsey† through an agreement with Vodafone.†Jersey and Guernsey are British Crown Dependencies. They are not independentcountries. Therefore, Airtels countries of operation is considered to be 20.IndiaMobileAirtel has nationwide presence, and is the 6th most valued brand according to anannual survey conducted by Brand Finance and The Economic Times in2010.On 19 October 2004, Airtel announced the launch of a BlackBerry WirelessSolution in India. The launch is a result of a tie-up between Bharti Tele-VenturesLimited and Research In Motion (RIM).The Apple iPhone 3G was rolled out in India in 2008 by Airtel and Vodafone.However, high prices and contract bonds discouraged consumers and it was not assuccessful as the iPhone is in other markets of the world. The Apple iPhone 4 wasintroduced on May 27, 2011 by Airtel and Aircel.3GOn May 18, 2010, 3G spectrum auction was completed and Airtel will have to paythe Indian government 122.95 billion (US$2.23 billion) for spectrum in 13circles, the most amount spent by an operator in this auction. Airtel won 3Glicences in 13 telecom circles of India: Delhi, Mumbai, AndhraPradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh (east), Rajasthan, West Bengal,
9. Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Assam, North East, and Jammu & Kashmir. Airtelalso operates 3G services in Maharastra, Goa,Kanpur and Kolkata through anagreement with Vodafone and in Gujarat through an agreement with Idea. Thisgives Airtel a 3G presence in 15 out of 22 circles in India.On September 20, 2010, Bharti Airtel said that it has given contracts to EricssonIndia, Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) and Huawei Technologies to set upinfrastructure for providing 3G services in the country. These vendors will plan,design, deploy and maintain 3G–HSPA (third generation, high speed packetaccess) networks in 13 telecom circles where the company has won 3G licences.While Bharti Airtel has awarded network contracts for seven 3G circles to EricssonIndia, NSN would manage networks in three circles. Chinese telecom equipmentvendor Huawei Technologies has been introduced as the third partner for threecircles.On January 24, 2011, Airtel launched 3G services in Bangalore, Karnataka—itslargest circle by revenue. With this launch, Airtel became the third private operator(fifth overall) to launch its 3G services in the country following RelianceCommunications and Tata Docomo. On January 27, 2011, Airtel launched 3G inChennai and Coimbatore.On July 27, 2011 Airtel launched 3G in three major cities in Kerala (Trivandrum,Cochin and Calicut).Airtel plans to cover 1,500 cities across 13 circles by the end of March 2012. Thecompany, which has 3G licences for 13 circles, is also in talks with other serviceproviders to roll out the services in the remaining 10 circles as part of its roamingofferings.Airtel had about 3 million 3G subscribers as of May 2011.4GOn 19 May 2010, the broadband wireless access (BWA) or 4G spectrum auction inIndia ended. Airtel paid 33.1436 billion for spectrum in 4circles: Maharashtra, Karnataka, Punjab and Kolkata. The company wasallocated 20 MHz of BWA spectrum in 2.3 GHz frequency band.
10. Airtels TD-LTE network is built and operatedby ZTE in Kolkata, Huawei in Karnataka, Ericsson in Punjab and Nokia SiemensNetworksin Maharashtra.On 10 April 2012, Airtel launched 4G services using TD-LTE technology inKolkata, becoming the first company in India to offer 4G services. Airtel launched4G in Bangalore on 7 May 2012. It will launch services nextin Pune and Chandigarh.On 24 May 2012, Airtel announced an agreement to acquire a 49% stake inQualcomm Asia Pacific (India). Qualcomm holds 4G spectrum and licenses inDelhi, Haryana, Kerala and Mumbai. As per the agreement, by the end of 2014,Airtel will assume full ownership and financial responsibility for 4G operations inthese 4 circles.Airtel MoneyAirtel has started a new mCommerce platform called Airtel Money withcollaboration with Infosys. It is launched on April 5, 2012, in Infosys Campus ofbangalore. with the help of Airtelmoney,users can transfer money,pay bills andother financial transactions using mobile phone. VAS FraudThere has been lot of criticism about Airtel for its unauthorised VAS activation.Many of its services were activated automatically according to a complaint forum.Several thousands of users were falsely billed, for example downloading wallpaperor ringtones. In return Airtel launched STOP/START 121 services for suchissues. Alternatively, you can sign up on the "Do Not Disturb" list to avoid alltelemarketing calls and SMSes.ControversyBharti Airtel (India), along with Loop Mobile, Idea Cellular, RelianceCommunications and Vodafone, was issued notices by Telecom RegulatoryAuthority of India (TRAI) for violation of Mobile number portability (MNP)regulations. According to TRAI, they had received complaints from customers
11. regarding unwarranted rejection of porting requests by telecom operators and 10had been charged for a message requesting porting code through number 1900.TelemediaThe Telemedia business provides services in 89 Indian cities and consists of twobrands.Airtel Broadband provides broadband and IPTV services. Airtel provides bothcapped as well as unlimited download plans (extremely reduced speeds atunlimited data are implied (256kbit/s beyond FUP which is lesser than the TRAIspecified limit of half of your original speed)). The maximum speed availablefor home users is 16Mbit/s.Airtel Broadband had about 1.36 million subscribers at the end of April2012. Airtel has about 3.16 million wireline customers, of which 42.6% arebroadband internet subscribers as of August 2010. Until 18 September 2004, Bhartiprovided Fixedline telephony and broadband services under the Touchtel brand.Bharti now provides all telecom services including fixedline services under acommon brand "Airtel".Airtel Broadband filters your internet requests and on many occasions they areknown to block file sharing websites suchas vimeo.commegavideo.com, thepiratebay.se etc. with out any legal informationgiven to the customers.Airtel Broadband Blocking TPB
12. Digital TelevisionMain article: Airtel digital TVThe Digital TV business provides Direct-to-Home (DTH) TV services across Indiaunder the brand name Airtel digital TV. It started services on 9 October 2008 andhas about 32.44 million customers as of August 2010.EnterpriseThe Enterprise business provides end-to-end telecom solutions to corporatecustomers and national and international long distance services to telcos through itsnationwide fiber optic backbone, last mile connectivity in fixed-line and mobilecircles, VSATs, ISP and international bandwidth access through the gateways andlanding stations. It has two sections under it.Mobile data serviceThe different services under mobile data are BlackBerry services,a web-enabledmobile email solution working on Push Technology, USB modem that helps ingetting instant access to Internet and corporate applications,Airtel Data Card thatgives the liberty to access the internet anytime, Easy Mail is a platform thatprovides access to personal/corporate e-mails independent of handset operatingsystem and application services that shorten the queues at the billing section, off-load the pressure on the billing staff and bring convenience to the user.Enterprise business solutionsThere are two kind of solutions offered by Airtel. One is GPRS Based Solutionslike mobile applications tools for enterprise, TrackMate, automatic meter readingsolutions etc. and the other is SMS Based Solutions like interactive sms, bulk sms,inbound call center solutions.Android-based tabletBeetel Teletech Ltd., a unit of Bharti Enterprises Ltd., on 18 August launched a9,999 ($220) 7-inch tablet in India based on Google Inc.s Android operatingsystem. The offering is intended to capitalize on the expected demand for cheap
13. computing devices in the worlds fastest-growing and second-largest mobile phonemarket.Rest of the WorldAfricaMain article: Airtel AfricaBangladeshMain article: Airtel BanglaSri LankaMain article: Bharti Airtel LankaChannel Islands: Jersey and GuernseyMain article: Airtel-VodafoneOn 1 May 2007, Jersey Airtel and Guernsey Airtel, both wholly ownedsubsidiaries of the Bharti Group, announced they would launch mobile services inthe British Crown Dependency islands of Jersey and Guernsey under thebrand name Airtel-Vodafone after signing an agreement with Vodafone. Airtel-Vodafone operates a 3G network in Jersey and Guernsey.Jersey and Guernsey are British Crown Dependencies. They are not independentcountries. Therefore, Airtels countries of operation is considered to be 19.Subscriber BaseBharti Airtel has about 243.336 million subscribers worldwide—232.95 million inIndia and South Asia and 50.949 million in Africa as of the end of December 2011.The numbers include mobile services subscribers in 19 countries and IndianTelemedia services and Digital services subscribers.
14. IndiaThe Airtel subscriber base according to Cellular Operators Association of India(COAI) as of April 2012 was:Metros Delhi – 8,818,153 Mumbai – 3,738,188 Kolkata – 3,882,463 Chennai – 3,388,379"A" Circle Andhra Pradesh – 18,539,788 Gujarat – 7,062,371 Karnataka – 15,468,507 Maharashtra – 9,968,936 Tamil Nadu – 10,094,293"B" Circle Haryana – 2,472,639 Kerala – 3,574,844 Madhya Pradesh – 9,728,966 Punjab – 6,973,022 Rajasthan – 14,546,216 Uttar Pradesh (East) – 14,886,051 Uttar Pradesh (West) – 6,666,880 West Bengal – 9,202,693"C" Circle Assam – 3,759,878 Bihar – 17,732,686 Himachal Pradesh – 1,861,569 Jammu and Kashmir – 2,112,537 North Eastern States – 2,351,038 Orissa – 6,460,022
15. Airtel is the market leader in India with about 181 million subscribers in India orabout 27.22% market share at the end of March 2012.The Brand Trust Report  published by Trust Research Advisory, places Airtel asthe only mobile operator in the top 10 most trusted brands in India.Acquisitions and MergersMTNIn May 2008, it emerged that Bharti Airtel was exploring the possibility of buyingthe MTN Group, a South Africa-based telecommunications company withcoverage in 21 countries in Africa and the Middle East. The FinancialTimes reported that Bharti was considering offering US$45 billion for a 100%stake in MTN, which would be the largest overseas acquisition ever by an Indianfirm. However, both sides emphasize the tentative nature of the talks, while TheEconomist magazine noted, "If anything, Bharti would bemarrying up," as MTNhas more subscribers, higher revenues and broader geographiccoverage. However, the talks fell apart as MTN group tried to reverse thenegotiations by making Bharti almost a subsidiary of the new company.In May 2009, Bharti Airtel again confirmed that it is in Talks with MTN andcompanies have now agreed discuss the potential transaction exclusively by 31July 2009. Bharti Airtel said in a statement "Bharti Airtel Ltd is pleased toannounce that it has renewed its effort for a significant partnership with MTNGroup".Talks eventually ended without agreement, due to the South African governmentopposition.ZainIn March 2010, Bharti struck a deal to buy the Kuwaiti firms mobile operations in15 African countries, in Indias second biggest overseas acquisition after TataSteels $13 billion buy of Corus in 2007. Bharti Airtel completed its $9 billionacquisition of African operations from Kuwaits Zain, making the firm the worldsNo. 5 wireless carrier by subscribers.Airtel has reported that its revenues for thefourth quarter of 2010 grew by 53% to US$3.2 billion compared to the previous
16. year, newly acquired Zain Africa division contributed US$911 million to thetotal.However, net profits dropped by 41% from US$470 million last year toUS$291 million this year due to a US$188 million increase in radio spectrumcharges in India and an increase of US$106 million in debt interest.Telecom SeychellesOn August 11, 2010, Bharti Airtel announced that it would acquire 100% stakein Telecom Seychelles for US$62 million taking its global presence to 19countries. Telecom Seychelles began operations in 1998 and operates 3G, FixedLine, ship to shore services satellite telephony, among value added services likeVSAT and Gateways for International Traffic across the Seychelles under theAirtel brand. The company has over 57% share of the mobile marketof Seychelles. Airtel announced plans to invest US$10 million in its fixed andmobile telecoms network in the Seychelles over three years, whilst alsoparticipating in the Seychelles East Africa submarine cable (SEAS) project. TheUS$34 million SEAS project is aimed at improving the Seychelles‘ globalconnectivity by building a 2,000 km undersea high speed link to Dar es Salaam inTanzania.Joint VenturesAirtel-EricssonAs per a five-year managed services agreement signed recently[when?], Ericsson willmanage and optimize Airtel‘s mobile networks in Africa. Ericsson will modernizeand upgrade Airtel‘s mobile networks in Africa with the latest technologyincluding its multi standard RBS 6000 base station. As part of the modernization,Ericsson will also provide technology consulting, network planning & design andnetwork deployment.Ericsson has been the managed services and networktechnology partner in the Asian operations.
17. RebrandingOn 18 November 2010, Airtel rebranded itself in India in the first phase of a globalrebranding strategy. The company unveiled a new logo with airtel written in lowercase. Designed by London-based brand agency, The Brand Union, the new logo isthe letter a in lowercase, with airtel written in lowercase under the logo.On 23 November 2010, Airtels Africa operations were rebranded to airtel. SriLanka followed on 28 November 2010 and on 20 December 2010, Warid Telecomrebranded to airtel in Bangladesh.One NetworkOne Network is a borderless mobile phone network across all Airtel operatingcountries which enables customers to move freely between the countries in whichAirtel operates, and be treated as ―virtual‖ local customers of the visited network interms of pricing, while retaining their home network service functionality.One Network allows customers travelling to One Network countries to makeoutgoing calls/SMS at the same rates as local customers and recharge with localtop-up cards or with home network top up cards while using the same number andSIM. Incoming calls however are charged at between $0.03 - 0.15 depending onthe country the call is received from.Airtel offers the service currently to its Africa customers travelling to any of thefollowing 27 countries.In eight of these countries, the One Network is operated inpartnership with other mobile operators. They are also listed below.S. No. Country Network1 Burkina Faso Airtel2 Bangladesh Airtel3 Chad Airtel
18. 4 Channels Islands: Jersey and Guernsey Airtel5 Democratic Republic of the Congo Airtel6 Gabon Airtel7 Ghana Airtel8 India Airtel9 Kenya Airtel10 Madagascar Airtel11 Malawi Airtel12 Niger Airtel13 Nigeria Airtel14 Republic of the Congo Airtel15 Sierra Leone Airtel16 Seychelles Airtel17 Sri Lanka Airtel
19. 18 Tanzania Airtel19 Uganda Airtel20 Bahrain Zain21 Iraq Zain22 Jordan Zain23 Kuwait Zain24 Saudi Arabia Zain25 Sudan Zain26 South Africa Cell C27 Egypt MobinilIt will be extended to Airtels operations in Asia as well as in Seychelles soon.SponsorshipOn 9 May 2009 Airtel signed a major deal with Manchester United. As a result ofthe deal, Airtel gets the rights to broadcast the matches played by the team to itscustomers.Bharti Airtel signed a five-year deal with ESPN Star Sports to become the titlesponsor of the Champions League Twenty20 crickettournament. But now the dealis terminated and Nokia is sponsoring Champions League Twenty20 cricket."
20. Airtel, also signed a deal to be title sponsor the inaugural Formula One IndianGrand Prix during the 2011 season.Signature tuneThe signature tune of Airtel is composed by Indian musician A. R. Rahman. Thetune became hugely popular and is the worlds most downloaded mobile musicwith over 150 million downloads. A new version of the song was released on 18November 2010, as part of the rebranding of the company. This version toowas composed by Rahman himself.Green initiativeGreenTowers P7 programAs of today,Bharti Infratel is the only telecom tower company, which has installedalmost 3 MWT of solar capacity on their network, generating more than 5 mn unitsof electricity every year.The Green Towers P7 program is scoped for 22,000 towersites (primarily rural areas having low or no Grid Power availability) out of which5,500 sites have already been implemented in the first year as a part of this 3-yearprogram. Once completed, the initiative will reduce diesel consumption by 66 mnlitres per year with a significant carbon dioxide reduction of around 1.5 lac MT peryear. Bharti Infratel bagged the 2011 Green Mobile Award at the GSMA MobileWorld Congress atBarcelona and was also awarded the 2010 innovativeinfrastructure company of the year award at the CNBC Infrastructure Awards forthis groundbreaking initiative.Bharti remains the first company in the world tointroduce the practice of sharing of passive infrastructure by collaborating withtheir competition to share mobile towers and to reduce the collective carbonfootprint of the industry. This has become a subject of case studies in institutionsincluding the Harvard Business School.
21. Energy conservationThe company has installed solar hot water generator at its main campus in Gurgaonfor fulfilling the hot water requirement in the cafeteria. Majority of its facilitiesacross NCR region are now equipped with LES (Lighting Energy Savers) whichhave reduced energy consumption in the lighting system to the tune of 10–25%.Variable Frequency Drives installed in AHU (Air Handling Unit) at its campushave helped in enhancing the efficiency of cooling system by 10%. Thesemeasures have resulted in a total saving of 8.5 lakh units of electricity per year.Airtel has embarked upon technology related initiatives like virtualization ofservers that has helped it release over 500 CPUs. Also the drive of sending e-billsto the post-paid customers is helping save 12,840 trees annually. Within its campusthe ‗Secure Print Solution – an automated queue management based securedprinting solution has led to an annualized saving of about 8 metric tonnes of paper.Alternate energy sources such as solar energyThey have already deployed these at as many as 1050 sites thus saving 6.9 mnlitres of diesel and approximately 280 million.Energy efficiency measures such as Integrated Power Management Systemsand variable speed DC generatorsIt has resulted in the reduction in the rate of diesel consumption by 1.2 mn litres.They have already saved 47 million across nearly 900 sites.Demand side management like Free Cooling Units (FCU) instead of airconditionersIt has already been implemented across 3400+ sites, saving consumption of 4.1 mnlitres of diesel.
22. TimelineLogo used by Airtel till 2010 NovemberThe chronology of events since Bharti Tele-Ventures was incorporated in 1995:1995 Bharti Cellular launched cellular services as "AirTel" in Delhi.2010 On 18 May 2010, Airtel won 3G spectrum in 13 circles: Delhi, Mumbai, Andhra Pradesh,Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh (West), Rajasthan, West Bengal, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Assam, North East, Jammu & Kashmir for Rs. 12,295 crores. Bharti Airtel wins broadband spectrum in four circles: Maharashtra, Karnataka, Punjab and Kolkata for Rs. 3314.36 crores. On 18 November 2010, Bharti Airtel announced a re-branding campaign wherein, they would be referred as airtel, with a new logo. On 20 December 2010, Airtel launched its new identity for Bangladesh subscribers. On 23 December 2010, Airtel opened its first underground terrestrial fibre optic cable built in alliance with China Telecom.2011 On 24 January 2011, Airtel announced the launch of its 3G services in India. On 31 January 2011, Airtel launched wallet service - Airtel Money in the millennium city of Gurgaon. On 18 February 2011, Airtel Digital TV brings cricket world cup in High Definition. On 14 March 2011, Bharti Airtel announced the launch of ‗Airtel Broadband TV‘. On 11 April 2011, Bharti Airtel and Apple bring the iPhone 4 to India.
23. On 18 April 2011, Bharti Airtel enters into a partnership with photo service Zoomin.com. On 17 May 2011, Airtel launches the world‘s first USSD-based Facebook access service in India – Facebook by Fonetwish. On 2 June 2011, Bharti Airtel offers on-demand online movie viewing services - launches ‗Airtel Movies‘ On 16 June 2011, Airtel digital TV launches iKisaan – the world‘s first interactive service in Hindi. On 27 June 2011, Airtel 3G launches international video calling services. On 7 July 2011, Bharti Airtel announces new organisation structure for its India and South Asia operations. On 18 July 2011, Airtel digital TV adds 41 new channels. On 25 July 2011, Bharti Airtel Launches Facebook For Every Phone. On 16 August 2011, Wide availability of Airtel Service Centers in Rajasthan creates easy touch points for customer service. On 19 September 2011, Bharti Airtel announces GO! GO! GOAL Contest 2011. On 22 September 2011, Airtel digital TV brings the TV series ―Johnny Test‖ to India. On 26 September 2011, Airtel Youth Star kicks off ‗Friends Dance Carnival‘ in Andhra Pradesh. On 28 October 2011, 2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix of India Winners Trophy Revealed. On 1 November 2011, Airtel digital TV now has 11 True HD channels,Expands total channel count to 262. On 11 November 2011, Bharti Airtel named amongst the top 25 companies for leaders globally. On 25 November 2011, Mr. Sharlin Thayil, CEO – Bharti Airtel, AP launches iPhone 4S in Hyderabad. On 1 December 2011, Airtel introduces India‘s first free mobile access to Twitter. On 12 December 2011, Bharti Airtel recognized for the delivery of best network services with customer focus at Telecom Centre of Excellence Awards.
24. On 21 December 2011, Airtel launches exciting recharge offers for mobile customers in Rajasthan.2012 On 11 January 2012, Airtel launched Comedy FM on Airtel Mobile. On 12 January 2012, Airtel launches all new ―BBM Plan‖ for its postpaid mobile customers on BlackBerry. On 23 January 2012, Airtel prepaid mobile recharge made easier with netbanking at www.airtel.in On 30 January 2012, Airtel digital TV launches iKidsworld. On 2 February 2012, Airtel launched Vh1 Radio GAGA powered by Hungama on Airtel Mobile. On 3 February 2012, India‘s largest collection of Hello Tunes is now available online for Airtel mobile customers. On 4 February 2012, Bharti Airtel announces consolidated IFRS results for the third quarter and nine months ended December 31, 2011. On 10 February 2012, Bharti Airtel launched 3 Pack Education Portal for its mobile customers across India. On 27 February 2012, Bharti Airtel selects Infosys as its technology partner for airtel money. On 29 February 2012, Bharti Airtel appoints Nokia Siemens Networks to supply, manage 4G network in Maharashtra. On 27 May 2012, Bharti Airtel announced its strategic foray into the mobile advertising (m-Advertising) segment, in India. In 2012, Bharti Airtel signed a pact with Opera Software, to provide its customers with Opera Mini browsers.