WORK PACKAGE 3: Requirements for uptake and out-scaling of shallow groundwater irrigation
RESEARCH INTO USE Innovations must be adapted to specific localconditions (incl. different perceptions and interests) to lead to long-term sustainable developmental impacts: How can this process be strengthened?
OBJECTIVES(i) Determine extrapolation domains thatare homogeneous with respect to severalvariables ; Sustainable out-scaling(ii) Together with farmers and other key and up-scaling of shallowactors, determine critical success factors, groundwater irrigationconditions and drivers for adoption;(iii) Assess and articulate institutionalarrangements, support systems and policyrequirements at different scales that enableadoption.
ACTIVITIES/METHODS (1) Platform/ (2) Extrapolation Learning alliance domainsStakeholder & Biophysical,institutional economic,mapping (3) Strategies/Approaches GIS data for up and out-scaling Work packages 1 and 2
(1) LEARNING ALLIANCEWhat is a Learning Alliance (LA)?Partnership of researchers, implementing agencies, privatesector, policy makers and farmers who work and learntogether to solve practical development problems.How do they bring the innovation process to scale?- Complementary insights and capabilities- Stakeholders at all levels – linked platforms- Facilitation to overcome horizontal and vertical barriers tocommunication and interaction
(1) LEARNING ALLIANCEEstablishing successful Learning Alliances:- Vertical and horizontal representation- Shared vision of objectives, roles and capacities of eachpartner- All must benefit and share responsibilities and costs- Effective communication between platforms at differentlevels- Action research / Learning for change- Document the process as well as the results- Dissemination and sharing: double-loop process
(1) LEARNING ALLIANCEChallenges:- Who should facilitate?- Weak government decentralization- Adapt project management, delivery and thinking- Costs of horizontal and vertical integration- Separation of science and process- Realistic time planning and resistance to change- Monitoring
(2) EXTRAPOLATION DOMAINSMethod: Bayesian ModellingData: bio-physical, socio-economic, GIS data layers, andsurvey data from LA.Expected output: Report on probabilities of adoptionsuccess for shallow groundwater irrigation within andbeyond the initial CP65 study focal areas
(3) STRATEGIES/APPROACHES FORUP- AND OUT-SCALING OF SGI Collation, analysis and synthesis of outputs and recommendations from the 3 different packages