7. Ephesus 2:1-7 Works, toil, patient endurance, intolerant of evil people, try them, bear up for Christ’s sake, hate the works of the Nicolaitans. Abandoned first love. Remember, repent and do the works you did. Warning: removal of lampstand. To the conqueror is given to eat of the tree of life in the paradise of God.
8. Smyrna 2:8-11 [They endure] poverty and tribulation and slander Do not fear the coming suffering. Devil to imprison them for testing. Be faithful unto death and Christ will give them the crown of life.
9. Pergamum 2:12-17 Hold fast Christ’s name in Satan’s stronghold and in the face of martyrdom. Some hold to the teaching of Balaam (idolatry and sexual immorality) and the Nicolaitans. Repent or Christ will come and war against them. Hear! To the conqueror Christ will give hidden manna and a white stone with a new secret name on it.
10. Thyatira 2:18-29 Growing works, love, faith, service, patient endurance. Toleration of “Jezebel”, a false teacher leading the people into sin and the deep things of Satan. Repentance commanded or judgment will follow. Hold fast till Christ comes. Hear! (v. 29). To the conqueror who keeps His words, Christ will give authority and rule over the nations and the morning star.
11. Sardis 3:1-6 A few unsoiled people who are worthy. Their incomplete works. They are dead. Wake up, strengthen what remains. Remember, repent. Hear ! (v. 6) Those who are clean will walk with Christ in white garments. The conqueror will be clothed in white. Name not blotted out. Confessed by Christ before the Father.
12. Philadelphia 3:7-13 Works. Kept Christ’s word and not denied His name. Patient endurance. Hold fast to what you have. Phony Jews will bow before them and learn Christ’s love for them. Protection from global trial. The conqueror will be a pillar in the temple. Identified with God’s name and city.
13. Laodicea 3:14-22 Repulsive lukewarm works. Deluded about their neediness (wretched, pitiable, poor, blind and naked). Buy from Christ gold, garments and salve. Repent. Hear, open door. If they respond they will enjoy fellowship with Christ. The conqueror will sit with Him on His throne.
14. Making some conclusions <ul><li>Which churches are most commendable? </li></ul><ul><li>Which churches seem to be suffering from external persecution? </li></ul><ul><li>Which churches are least commendable? Why? </li></ul><ul><li>If you could choose to be a member of one of these churches which one would you choose? Why? </li></ul>
15. Takeaways <ul><li>Jesus knows His churches. The local church is important for the disciple of Jesus Christ. </li></ul><ul><li>He comforts and confronts churches. </li></ul><ul><li>He gave hope and specific steps to take even to the church in the worst condition. </li></ul><ul><li>Obedience is the way forward. </li></ul>