• Share
  • Email
  • Embed
  • Like
  • Save
  • Private Content
100 Years Chapters 09-10
 

100 Years Chapters 09-10

on

  • 2,325 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
2,325
Views on SlideShare
2,325
Embed Views
0

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
15
Comments
0

0 Embeds 0

No embeds

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Adobe PDF

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    100 Years Chapters 09-10 100 Years Chapters 09-10 Document Transcript

    • Forestry Leaves Tree planting for posterity
    • 9 Chapter Milestones on the Upper Campus During the Zamuco and Lantican Years 1958-1971
    • O n May 19, 1957, Dean Calixto Mabesa retired at age 65 with Professor Zamuco as his successor. Zamuco was highly qualified for the position, having served as Acting Forester-in-Charge of the School during the Japanese occupation (1942-1945). During Dean Zamuco’s term, he and Prof. Domingo M. Lantican worked closely. Later, the Dean designated Prof. Lantican as Administrative Assistant for Research and Instruction. Dr. Lantican held the position of Professor of Wood Technology. He obtained the MS degree in Kiln Drying in 1959, and the PhD degree in Wood Physics in 1964 at the State University of New York (SUNY) College of Forestry in Syracuse. Dean Gregorio Zamuco Makiling Botanic Gardens with the Pavilion (Right side) 124
    • Many Pursued PhD Studies Abroad W hen the College gained complete independence from the Bureau of Forestry effective January 16, 1957, it had to make sources, such as the DAAD of West Germany and the Colombo Plan, were also available, although limited to a few. Moreover, long-range strategic plans for the strengthening and expansion of universities in the USA offered graduate assistantships to highly instruction, research and extension programs, which required more deserving graduate students, which enabled some forestry faculty deliberate and purposive staff development. Young and promising members to pursue graduate work with US university support.10 faculty members had to be given opportunities for PhD training abroad. Luckily, the ICA-NEC (later NEC-AID) program became Within the period under review, several junior staff members one major source of support for PhD studies in US universities. Other left for PhD studies abroad.3, 4, 10, 15 SOME OF THE YOUNG STAFF MEMBERS WHO PURSUED PhD STUDIES ABROAD Manuel L. Bonita Romulo C. Casilla Reynaldo E. de la Cruz Romulo A. Del Castillo Ireneo L. Domingo Mario A. Eusebio Faustino C. Francia Enriquito D. de Guzman Celso B. Lantican Filiberto S. Pollisco Adolfo V. Revilla, Jr. Francisco N. Tamolang Florentino O. Tesoro Armando A. Villaflor Neptale Q. Zabala 125
    • National Impact of the Makiling National Park and Botanic Gardens UP Vice President Enrique T. Virata pens the University of the D Philippines acceptance of the administration of the Makiling National Park as (left to right) Acting Undersecretary Cunanan, Dean Zamuco, NEC Director Crucillo, Dr. Summers (ICA), and Secretary Fortich look on. ean Zamuco had to work doubly hard to ensure that the Makiling National Park under the Office of Parks and Wildlife was turned over to the UP College of Forestry after the reorganization of 1957 which separated the College from the Bureau of Forestry. Without the Makiling National Park under its control, the College would not have a forest experiment station, which is so vital to support instruction and research in forest management.16 Zamuco’s crowning glory was the passage of RA 3523 which transferred the Makiling National Park (about 4,000 ha) to UP. The law also appropriated funds for the development of the Makiling Botanical Garden.1, 12 The Botanical Garden and the man-made forests on the campus and in the Makiling National Park stand as living monuments to the foresight and efforts of the College. The forests that the College tended blossomed out from abandoned and barren cogonal areas Forestry Leaves and became picnic grounds. But these are more than picnic grounds. The students who sweated to plant and nurture these trees never dreamed that their efforts would be so meaningful. Today, these trees are practically the mother trees of other man-made forests being Selective Logging. Without this method of logging, this grown in several formerly vast cogonal areas throughout the country.14 cut-over area would now be completely barren. Selective logging is one of the few The School’s man-made forests are now a seed collector’s results of researches in paradise. These are the sources of forestry seeds for the never forest utilization. ending challenge of reforestation in the Philippines. Lumbang (Aleurites moluccana) nuts are a source Pine trees are a source of oleoresin, an important of high quality oil in the manufacture of paints. The industrial raw material in the manufacture of paint, trees are planted as a reforestation species. lacquer and varnish. Conservation Circular 126
    • Malabuho (Sterculia oblongata) is a forest species that is a good source of bast fibers for weaving baskets, hats, and other salable handicrafts. Bast-fiber hat industry in Lucena. A layer of malabuho bast is passed Mr. Ricardo Portillo, wholesaler and “hat king” of the through a crude wooden block with protruding blades known as Philippines, displays different styles of high-quality “agpang,” dividing the strips smoothly and equally. gasha hats made of malabuho bast. 127
    • Construction of the Forestry Technology Building T he College was not yet departmentalized in the 1960s. But In 1961, with P997,000 from ICA-NEC, a 2-storey Forestry staff strength and programs were rapidly growing in: (1) forest Technology building was built in an area previously occupied by the resource management, (2) forest biological sciences, (3) wood science old dormitories for boys.7 A new men’s dormitory was also and technology, and (4) forest extension and information services. constructed.12 The original Forestry Technology building, now known as Forest Science building Dormitory with mess hall 128
    • Zamuco Retired and Lantican Took Over W hen Dean Zamuco reached the compulsory retirement age of 65 on May 9, 1966, he was honored in a formal dinner at the International House of UPCA where he received various plaques and citations for his meritorious services, especially in the field of forestry education.12 Dr. Lantican was designated OIC of the College of Forestry effective May 10, 1966, and later appointed Dean. Dr. Lantican, just like Dean Zamuco, was a hard working and very productive professor who was highly qualified for the position of Dean. Dean Lantican (second man from right) conducting field visits. Dean Domingo M. Lantican Dean Lantican discussing plans with forestry and agriculture staff Dean Lantican (right) briefing UP President Romulo (left) on the College of Forestry 5-Year Development Plan Forestry Leaves 129
    • A Comprehensive Campus Development Plan Implemented The Pavillon in the Makiling Botanical Garden. At the foreground U is the Lauan Circle, with benches for lovers of trees and nature’s beauty. Nearby are a fountain, tables, and barbecue pits nder Dean Lantican’s leadership, a 5-year comprehensive campus development plan following proper campus zoning was made.19 An area for student dorms and faculty housing had to be designated. The following became realities: 4, 5, 17 • Dorm-Mess Hall • Many staff houses • Forestry Alumni guesthouse • Two-storey Wood Technology building (P500,000) • Forestry Information building • Greenhouse and insectary • Improvement of water system • Surfacing/asphalting of roads, including the road to the mud spring and picnic area Wood Science building (right) constructed near the Administration building (left). The Wood Science building now houses the Department of Forest Products and Paper Science. Forestry Information building with the Library in the second floor. The first floor is now occupied by the Department of Social Forestry and Forestry Governance. 130
    • Forestry Graduate Program Approved O n May 19, 1966, a carefully formulated College of After the approval of the College of Forestry Graduate Program, Forestry Graduate Program was finally approved by the University Dean Lantican said, “It will give breadth and depth to forestry Council. As approved, the College had to offer the Master of knowledge. Forestry education at last has come of age in this part Forestry and Master of Science in the different branches of forestry of the world.” such as forest management, logging engineering, kiln drying, etc.18 Launching of a Well-Organized Long-Term Forestry Extension Program T he construction of the two-storey Forestry Information building was significant not only because it provided adequate space to house a rapidly growing library, but also because it accommodated the newly created Department of Forestry Extension, which was chaired by Prof. Domingo V. Jacalne, and later by Prof. Napoleon Vergara.11 A well-organized long-term forestry extension program was developed and approved. Initial implementation in 1962-63 was inspiring, with the following outputs:2 • Publication of 36 feature articles on forestry news and forest conservation • News releases: 65 were published Forestry radio announcers taped their programs for distribution • Nationwide provincial news release system included 61 to different radio stations. Ten-second television plugs were also shown in Channels 7 and 9 in 1968-1969. provincial newspapers • Fifty-four (54) 30-minute interview programs broadcast over DZBB • Twelve (12) broadcasts over DZUP • Four (4) 10-minute radio program broadcast over DZXL Bulletins, leaflets, manuals and posters were given free to public school teachers of Bay, Los Baños and Calamba, Laguna, and Sto. Tomas, Batangas, for the promotion of forest conservation-consciousness among the youth. 131
    • Forestry extension work became an inter-agency program, with participation of the Commission on Agricultural Productivity, UPCA’s Farm and Home Development Office, Society of Filipino Foresters, and the General and Joint Committees on Public Information and Education in Forestry.2 Forestry conservation concepts were also integrated in the science curriculum for 4th, 5th, and 6th grade levels in the elementary schools. Teacher training was planned and implemented, and six bulletins on forestry conservation were published in Tagalog, Cebuano and Ilocano. Forestry Leaves Prof. D. Jacalne, Chairman of the Forestry Information and Extension Department, walks beside the winning float (Most Symbolic) at the 1965 Loyalty Day Parade. Forestry Leaves ‘Diliman! Here We Come’ – A delegation of College of Forestry faculty and students helped in the beautification of the University campus at Diliman as part of their extension activities. FIRST LADIES VISITED THE COLLEGE ON ARBOR DAY Forestry Leaves Forestry Leaves In 1962, First Lady Eva Macapagal, with daughter Gloria, visited the In 1966, First Lady Imelda Marcos visited the College. As shown College of Forestry. As shown above, Gloria Macapagal plants a tree above, Dean Zamuco explains to the First Lady and some delegates while the First Lady (extreme left) looks on. and visitors the different logging operations by means of miniature logging equipment. 132
    • FOREST PRODUCTS Establishment of the RESEARCH INSTITUTE DIRECTORS Forest Products Research Institute T he Editorial of Forestry Leaves, Vol. 18 (2) in 1967 stated, “Unknown to most people especially economists is the Dr. Eugenio S. dela Cruz (1959-1962) Dr. Manuel R. Monsalud (1962-1972) timber industry’s potential to double its present dollar earnings.” In 1966, it was the no. 2 dollar earner. Dollar receipts for the year were: (1) US$280,000,000 from coconut products, (2) US$229,557,000 from logs and processed wood products, and (3) US$123,690,000 from sugar.”13 The need to promote processed wood industries was foreseen as early as the late 1940s.20 The Forest Products Laboratory was established in 1955, and on July 5, 1957, this laboratory and Dr. Francisco N. Tamolang Dr. Rodrigo R. Valbuena the Forest Products Research Section of the Bureau of Forestry (1973-1981) (OIC-1982) were fused to create the Forest Products Research Institute. This Institute, in collaboration with the College of Forestry, undertook many meaningful researches on wood processing technology to supply the needs of the processed wood industries. Dr. Florentino O. Tesoro Dr. Emmanuel D. Bello Forest Products Research Institute, with the Pulp and (1983-1990) (1999-2002) Paper Research and Training Center at the right side. (1999-2002) Dr. Florence Soriano (2002-present) 133
    • The FPRI changed its name to Forest Products Research and Industry Development Commission (FORPRIDECOM) in 1973 when Dr. Francisco N. Tamolang was the Director. In 1983, the name was again changed to Forest Products Research and Development Institute (FPRDI). Among the outstanding technologies developed by FPRI that benefited many clients or wood industries in different regions of the country are: • Furnace-type Lumber Dryer (FTLD) that is easy to install and to operate, utilizes biomass as source of energy, dries wood materials up to international quality standard, and with drying efficiency comparable to that of conventional steam-heated dryer. • Finishing Spray Booth (FSB) that eliminates over spray, Furnace-type Lumber Dryer (FTLD) extracts varnish/paint particles and solvents from the work area, purifies extracted air, and reduces fire hazards in the work area. • Drying Tunnel/Chamber (DT/C) that reduces drying time of applied finishes, increases productivity, enhances productivity and product quality, and extends operations until night time. Finishing Spray Booth (FSB) Drying Tunnel/Chamber (DT/C) 134
    • FPRI Director Manuel R. Monsalud (left) and Technical American visitors watching how the Institute’s pilot paper Consultant E. dela Cruz examining the vigorous growth of machine turns out finished paper after undergoing a series of Kaatoan bangkal (Anthocephalus cadamba). This species complex steps that go into paper manufacture. grows fast and is good for pulp and paper and veneer core. Hollow blocks fabricated by FPRI using agricultural wastes, wood-waste and soil materials: from top to bottom shelves - blocks of rice hull, coconut trunk chips, rice hull-soil combination, sawdust, wood particles, and pure soil. FPRI developed a system of controlling ACHIEVEMENTS IN FORESTRY SUMMARIZED dry-wood termites that destroy wood In 1969, Dean Lantican said, “As of today, UPCF has awarded 762 BSF degrees and 1,355 ranger certificates. Graduates of UPCF are found in the forestry service and schools in other Southeast Asian countries, particularly in the Royal Forest Department of Dry-wood termite Thailand, and in the faculty of Kasetsart University in (Cryptotermes dudleyi Banks) nymphs, greatly enlarged. Bangkok.”9 The Philippine forest service is manned mostly by graduates of UPCF, who are taking care of over 9 million hectares of forest lands with a total of 458 billion board feet upon which the lumber industry depends. This is a tremendous task being done A B by the alumni in spite of financial handicap and Dry-wood termite soldiers political interference.” (A) C. dudleyi, (B) C. cynocephalus, greatly enlarged. 135
    • Glorious sunrise over UPLB
    • 10 Chapter Cascading Developments in Umali’s Decade 1959-1970
    • D r. Dioscoro L. Umali. He dreamed and dared when he succeeded Dean Uichanco who retired in October 1959.12 Many who knew him well expected much from him. His dynamism, capacity to develop big plans coupled with a fighting spirit that never dies, and daring approaches to lick resource constraints distinguished his term as Dean of UPCA. Umali earned the BSA degree and taught chemistry in UPCA. Then he went to Cornell University on a scholarship, and in less than three years earned the PhD degree in genetics. On January 31, 1962, Umali was appointed Vice- President for Agricultural and Forestry Affairs, a position he held concurrently as Dean of the College of Agriculture. 13 To enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of UPCA, UPCF and ACCI business operations, the Office of Business Affairs with Professor Dr. Dioscoro L. Umali UPCA Dean, 1959-1970 Andres Aglibut as Director was elevated from UPCA UP Vice President for Agriculture and Forestry Affairs, 1962-1971 to the Office of the Vice-President for Agricultural and Undersecretary, Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 1966-1970 Forestry Affairs.14 Birth of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Baños R ice is the principal food of half of mankind, and the people of Asia produce and consume about 90% of rice grown in the world. But in spite of many researches on rice in Asia, the average yields in tropical countries in Asia remained dismally low at 1.5 to 3.0 tons per hectare. For this reason, Dr. J. George Harrar of the Rockefeller Foundation and Dr. Forest F. Hill of the Ford Foundation combined their visions, talent and efforts to establish IRRI in Los Baños to help raise the yield ceiling of rice for the benefit of hundreds of millions of rice farmers and consumers in Asia.8 IRRI’s headquarters 138
    • Negotiations for the establishment of IRRI in Los Baños IRRI’s continuing degree and non-degree training programs began in 1959 when Uichanco was still the Dean. But Umali, the at headquarters and in-country have turned out over 12,000 alumni Director of the Cooperative Rice and Corn Improvement Program, in major rice-growing countries around the globe. Many of them was most instrumental in ironing out details.1, 13 have been providing leadership in national rice research and extension programs. Ford Foundation committed US$6.9M for buildings and equipment, and Rockefeller Foundation assumed responsibility for IRRI’s success went beyond rice. It served as a model for the operating costs of IRRI estimated at US$700,000/year.8 creation of a family of international research centers around the world supported by the Consultative Group for International Agricultural IRRI was established and inaugurated in February 19623 with Research (CGIAR).8 Dr. Robert F. Chandler, Jr. as the first IRRI Director. The rest is history. IRRI produced IR8, popularly dubbed as the “miracle rice.” Today, IRRI is rice ecosystems-oriented and environmental- This first semi-dwarf, stiff-strawed, high-yielding rice variety doubled conscious. It is developing rice varieties with resistance to drought, the average yield of rice in developing countries and ushered in the flood and high salinity levels. It is also developing rice high in Green Revolution in Asia in the 1960s. Later, IRRI produced pest- Vitamin A, and high in iron and zinc for better nutrition. These are all resistant varieties that required no chemical pesticides for being done with the help of biotechnology. protection against insect pests. IRRI’s demonstration plot of genetic donors or varieties with genetic resistance to drought, cold temperature, flooding, etc. 139
    • Dr. Glenn Gregorio of IRRI Educating the children about rice science to holding panicles of iron-rich rice feed the present and future generations Golden rice – rich in Vitamin A. IR 8 rice variety as compared to parental varieties 140
    • IRRI holds in trust over 100,000 accessions of the world’s different rice varieties in its genebank. Scientists may access seed samples of any variety following international protocol. IRRI’s DIRECTORS GENERAL THROUGH THE YEARS Dr. Robert Chandler Dr. Ralph W. Cummings Dr. Nyle C. Brady Dr. M.S. Swaminathan (1960-1971) (1971-1972) (1973-1981) (1982-1987) Dr. Klaus Lampe Dr. George Rothschild Dr. Robert Havener Dr. Ronald Cantrell Dr. Robert Zeigler (1988-1995) (1996-1997) (1997-1998) (1998-2004) (2004 - present) 141
    • Launching of the UP-Cornell Graduate Education Program T he first UPCA-Cornell University Contract (1952-1960), Fifty-nine UPCA faculty members participated in the UPCO aimed for the postwar rehabilitation of UPCA and strengthening of training program. Of this, 19 went to Cornell University, and 10 the undergraduate instruction, research and extension programs, ended went to other USA universities. Thirty-two worked for the MS or with impressive achievements. PhD degree in UP.14, 18 Under Umali’s leadership, UPCA negotiated for a second phase, this time to strengthen the graduate education program at SOME UP-CORNELL SCHOLARS/GRADUATE Los Baños. FELLOWS FOR PhD STUDIES IN US UNIVERSITIES The UP-Cornell Graduate Education Program, or UPCO for short, was supported by Ford Foundation. It greatly strengthened the UPCA graduate education program through the following:8 • Long-term assignments of visiting professors from US universities, including three from China, to help in developing graduate courses in different disciplines, and to undertake meaningful research projects jointly with Emil Q. Javier Percy E. Sajise Elpidio L. Rosario young faculty members of UPCA; • Development of research facilities and essential support services (e.g., library, continuing education center, Los Baños Computer Center, photosynthesis laboratory, forage-beef cattle facilities, pesticide residue laboratory); • Training of young Filipinos and other Asians as well as some American graduate students for leadership in agricultural R&D.5, 6 Mario M. Labadan Edelwina C. Legaspi Sotero L. Lasap Carlito Barril Continuing Education Center From 1966 to1970, the UPCO program support added 24,596 books and bound periodicals to the UPCA Library. 142
    • Many young UPCA staff members pursued their MS/PhD degrees at Cornell University. A group of them studied soil profiles with Prof. Matthew Drosdoff as shown below. Jacob Kampen (center), one of Cornell graduate assistants, did his PhD thesis research at Los Baños with Prof. Gilbert Levine (left) as his adviser. Prof. Roger Young of Cornell University guided graduate students in identifying organic compounds. Prof. M. C. Bourne guided UPCA graduate students in conducting research in Philsoy, and helped in developing the Department of Food Science and Technology. 143
    • Birth of the Department of Food Science and Technology I n 1963, Umali created a committee with Dr. David Hand of Cornell University as consultant to study the feasibility of setting up a served as Head of the FST Division of the Department of Agricultural Chemistry. In 1972, the FST Division became the Department of Food Science and Technology in the College of Department of Food Science and Technology (DFST) and in 1982, Agriculture. The Committee made a favorable recommendation and it became an Institute (IFST). submitted a feasibility study. In recent years, IFST has grown to become one of the biggest The Food Science and Technology (FST) program in UPCA degree-granting units of UPCA; accounting for over one-third of the began in 1964 with visiting professors (Dr. B.L. Herrington and undergraduate students and a big number of graduate students in the Dr. K.H. Steinkraus) from Cornell University.9 Dr. Julian A. Banzon College of Agriculture. Food Science and Technology building F. A. Bernardo 144
    • A child drinking Philsoy, a high protein soybean drink produced by DFST Soy curd, taho, in fruit flavor, a product produced by DFST Wine developed by DFST DFST CHAIRMEN THROUGH THE YEARS Dr. Julian A. Banzon Dr. Ricardo R. del Rosario Dr. Eduardo C. Sison Prof. Elias E. Escueta Dr. Virgilio V. Garcia Ad Interim Administrator (1972-1974) (1974-1980) (1980-1981) (1981-1982) Department of Food Science and Technology 145
    • Organization of the Association of Colleges of Agriculture in the Philippines (ACAP) I n 1962, there were already ten other public agricultural colleges in the Philippines, in addition to a few private universities • • Agricultural curricular offerings were standardized. Forty-one faculty members from ACAP-member offering agricultural courses. This proliferation of agricultural institutions completed their MS studies in UPCA. colleges raised concerns regarding quality of staff, standards of • Fifty-five ACAP research projects were supported with instruction and quality of research and extension. Also, there was a UPCO funds. need for concerted institutional efforts toward regional and national • Many seminar-workshops in instruction, research, and development. extension were held. On January 3, 1962, Umali called a meeting of heads of eight When the UP-Cornell Graduate Education Program ended in 4 public agricultural colleges and four private universities in the country. 1970, Jesena successfully negotiated for a $72,000 grant from Ford In the meeting, the Association of Colleges of Agriculture in the Foundation to ACAP for staff development and collaborative Philippines or ACAP was born. Eighteen charter members joined, research and extension programs in agriculture and rural development. and elected Umali as the first ACAP president.5 Dr. Martin Jarmin served as part-time ACAP Executive Secretary, and in 1968, Dr. Cesar C. Jesena, Jr. took over as full-time Executive Secretary. From 1964 to 1970, ACAP achieved the following with the support of the UP-Cornell Graduate Education Program: Dr. Martin Jarmin Dr. Cesar C. Jesena, Jr. ACAP Executive Secretary ACAP Executive Secretary 1982-1987 for over two decades ACAP officials and guest speaker. Left to right: Dr. Antonio Isidro, MSU President; Mr. Dominador Clemente, MIT President; Dioscoro L. Umali, ACAP Conference on Manpower Development held at the Central UPCA Dean; Dr. Rex D. Drilon, CPU President; Hon. Tomas S. de la Cruz, Philippine University (Iloilo City) in 1971. Photo shows Dr. Jesena Undersecretary of Labor – Guest Speaker; Mr. Napoleon Dignadice, VAC introducing the participants. Superintendent. 146
    • Massive Staff Development Under the Rockefeller Foundation T he UPCA staff development under the UP-Cornell Graduate Education Program with Ford Foundation support was complemented by Rockefeller Foundation’s program of sending to US universities 10 UPCA staff every year for PhD studies. A total of 72 UPCA faculty members benefited from Rockefeller Foundation scholarship/fellowship grants for PhD studies in the USA.3, 4 Fifty-seven or 79% of the RF scholarship/fellowship grantees received the PhD degree, and two, the MS degree.18 Number of PhD/EdD and MS/MA degree holders in the faculty of the UP College of Agriculture from 1963 to 1970. The increase in number of MS/ PhD degree holders was largely due to the UP-Cornell Graduate Education Program and the Rockefeller Foundation Scholarship Grants10 SOME ROCKEFELLER FOUNDATION SCHOLARS FOR PhD STUDIES IN US UNIVERSITIES Thomas G. Flores Obdulia F. Sison Dolores A. Ramirez Pedro B. Escuro Fernando A. Bernardo Edilberto D. Reyes Feliciano B. Calora Marcos R. Vega Florendo C. Quebral Emiliana N. Bernardo Tito E. Contado Arturo A. Gomez Amado C. Campos 147
    • Birth of the Dairy Training and Research Institute (DTRI) 1 962 stood out as a significant year for dairy science in the country. The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the United Nations Development Fund (UNDF) collaborated with the Philippine Government (DA-BAE and UPCA) to establish DTRI at Los Baños in 1962.15 DTRI’s milk collection program in Jala-jala, Rizal. Participants use bancas as a means of transportation to deliver milk to DTRI became a reality with the appointment of Dr. Gonzalo the Milk Collection Center. V. Garcia as first director, with Mr. Ian D. Mcrae as consultant and Dr. W.J.A. Payne as project manager. Four outstanding achievements of DTRI are worthy of note: • A research breakthrough in freezing techniques for buffalo semen. One ejaculation of top quality semen from a top-grade carabull could inseminate a hundred caracows. • Development of numerous varieties of cheese: (a) soft cheeses, (b) semi-hard cheeses, and (c) hard cheeses. • Launching of the “School-in-the-Air,” the first ever in the whole country.6, 16 • Milk Collection Scheme, a program implemented and later spun off to the Southern Dairy Cooperative, now Katipunan ng Kooperatiba ng Maggagatas, Inc. or KKMI.16 Dairy Training and Research Institute (DTRI) building DAIRY TRAINING AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE DIRECTORS THROUGH THE YEARS Dr. Gonzalo V. Garcia Dr. Edwin G. Wagelie Dr. Leopoldo S. Castillo Dr. Alberto V. Robles (1962-1972) (1972-1974) (1974-1980) (1980-1986) 148
    • A major breakthrough in DTRI’s dairy production research: Successfully induced twinning in dairy cattle. DTRI products: Pasteurized fresh milk, pasteurized chocolate milk, kesong puti, fresh milk yema, pastillas de leche, cheese, and blue cheese. Dr. Franklin B. Aglibut Dr. Teofilo A. Dulay Dr. Ulysses M. Lustria Dr. Job M. Matias Dr. Virginia L. Barraquio (1986-1990) (1990-1992) (1993-1996) (1996-1998) (1998-2004) 149
    • UPCA Launched a Massive Facilities Development Program M ore than half a century after its establishment in June 1909, the UPCA has grown in size and responsibility to become the physical and social sciences5, 16 to handle 3,000 undergraduate students and 500 graduate students, and for the improvement of fountainhead of education and research in agricultural science, research and extension in tropical agriculture. serving not only the Philippines but also other developing countries in Southeast Asia. Its graduates, over 4,700 in 1962, occupied key Dr. Orlando Sacay, Associate Professor of Agricultural positions in government and in private enterprises dealing with Economics on special detail to the National Economic Development agriculture in the Philippines and in other Southeast Asian countries. Authority (NEDA), helped in negotiating for a US$6 million loan from the World Bank in 1965 to support the FYDP. For the first In the face of increasing challenges to provide trained leaders time in its history, the World Bank granted a loan for the development of in various aspects of tropical agriculture, the facilities of the College a higher education institution. The Philippine Government put up the appeared inadequate. To cope with the growing demand for its counterpart fund worth P23 million. services, Umali and his staff formulated a Five-Year Development Program (FYDP). The FYDP was a comprehensive program for the Massive constructions of many buildings followed, which expansion of integrated teaching and research facilities in biological, completely changed the face of UPCA.
    • UPCA Administration building, now UPLB Administration building Main entrance of UPLB with the UPCA Department of Agricultural Information and Communication building, now UPLB College of Development Communication at the right side. F. A. Bernardo 151