1. WHAT IS A SILHOUETTE?A silhouette is the outline of a person, an object orscene, filled with a color (usually black on white)
2. WHY ARE THEY SO IMPORTANT?A silhouette defines an object/person/scene’suniqueness, makes it recognizable and has the power toadd specific properties or traits
3. SILHOUETTE & CHARACTERSEspecially important with characters!
4. SILHOUETTE & CHARACTERS
5. SILHOUETTE & CHARACTERS
6. SILHOUETTE & OBJECTSExample: an ordinary car
7. SILHOUETTE & OBJECTSExample: a race car
8. SILHOUETTE &OBJECTS
9. SILHOUETTE &OBJECTS
10. SILHOUETTE &OBJECTS
11. SILHOUETTE & DESIGNINGIn stead of diving right in start with silhouettes as a base
12. SILHOUETTE & DESIGNINGThe key is to look for interesting shapes, do not worryabout details just yet.
13. SILHOUETTE & SCENESUsing silhouettes as a base for creating environmentsenables you to get your balance and proportions right,enabling you to set the tone of your scene really quick.
14. SILHOUETTE & SCENES
16. COMPOSITION - DEFINITIONComposition is the placement or arrangement of visualelements in artwork.It is mainly used to guide the human eye along theartists intended path and to set the mood.
17. COMPOSITION - EXAMPLE
18. COMPOSITION - EXAMPLE
19. COMPOSITION - EXAMPLE
20. COMPOSITION & GAMESComposition in games is particularly difficult because ofthere is no fixed frame like in traditional art. Instead, the player can change the view to his/her liking..
21. COMPOSITION &GAMES
22. COMPOSITION &GAMES
23. COMPOSITION & GAMESInstead of the traditional way of guiding the human eye,composition in games is used to guide the playertowards goals.A good composition in video games can only beachieved when the level design is flawlessly connectedwith the artwork!
24. COMPOSITION & GAMESThe traditional elements of art still apply to games. Theyare still needed for a good composition:• Lines - the visual path that guides the eye / player• Shapes (silhouettes!)• Colors - setting the mood• Space - space taken up by (positive) or between (negative) objects• Lighting - esthetic and functional
25. COMPOSITION – LIGHTING (ESTHETIC)
26. COMPOSITION – LIGHTING (FUNCTIONAL)
27. COMPOSITION & GAMESLast but certainly not least are the follow principles of artthat should also be taken into account:• Unity - arranging elements to create a feeling of completeness• Harmony - combining similar related elements, like opposite colors• Variety - try to vary things in your scene, make things notable• Balance - arrange elements so that no area seems heavier (unlessintended of course!)• Contrast - creates interest in a piece and can draw attention